Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midlands closed for couple days

Options
  • 07-01-2010 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

I got text today that Midlands ranges will be closed from 8th till 13th. :(
    "due to extreme weather conditions". and I already planned 3-day shooting marathon. Why they had to close range? its gonna be to cold or there something else coming on? Hows that gonna affect shooting?don't get it , at least they could leave 100 -300y range open.
    Anyway anybody know other range in west coast? that is open.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Let me guess.
    1. Risk of people slipping on ice or snow.
    2. Poor visibility for shooter = safety issues.
    3. Roads nearly impassable
    4. Combination of above leading to very poor attendence ie not worth opening!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

All of the above, I'd say.:D

But Reasons 1 & 2 would seem to be the most applicable.
    Also, let's also remember that the RO's have to be present and on the firing line - Not an easy job given that it's been below Zero today.
    at least they could leave 100 -300y range open

Can't see how they'd only leave the 100 - 300 yd open. The 50 yard would also be open then. It would then be very difficult to refuse to open the pistol range. And then someone would want the windmill range open. etc.

The RO's also have to travel to work too. So bear that in mind.

I see from the OP that you're looking for a range open on the west coast - I take it from that you're on the west coast yourself?
    If so, it may not be the wisest and safest thing to drive over and back to the midlands with the roads in the state they're in!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭sharky0922

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Let me guess.
    theres risk coming out from home too you know
    well you could agree if it was the case but everyday of this week was nice and sunny!and like i said at least 100-300 range..
    there is so much snow now in midlands?
    oh so thats the real reason right? rest are just only excuses. poor or not i should be open. well i have to disagree on this one too CJhaughey.
    Can't see how they'd only leave the 100 - 300 yd open. The 50 yard would also be open then. It would then be very difficult to refuse to open the pistol range. And then someone would want the windmill range open. etc.

The RO's also have to travel to work too. So bear that in mind.

I see from the OP that you're looking for a range open on the west coast - I take it from that you're on the west coast yourself?
    If so, it may not be the wisest and safest thing to drive over and back to the midlands with the roads in the state they're in!

haha dCorbus , driving is not safest thing at all, planes are much more safer!
    i would go to midlands just to see how BAD those roads are but i;m to lazy ;P

Fair enough, sharky.

I can sense and appreciate your annoyance - I too have been dying to get back to the range since just before Christmas. Although, Midlands not opening from tomorrow until next Wednesday won't effect me, since there is no way I'd risk the drive down there in this weather.

We'll just have to hope that the thaw arrives on Tuesday, so we don't lose another week of it!:D
    there is so much snow now in midlands?

Probably not so much an issue with the snow - maybe it's the sub-zero conditions and freezing roads.
    but everyday of this week was nice and sunny!

And bloody freezing with it!:D
    theres risk coming out from home too you know

Yes, but you don't have a public liability issue in your own back garden.:rolleyes:

Or am I missing something here - Is the weather that much different across the country?:confused:

Either way, the range is closed (I'm disappointed too, but not unduly surprised) - Let's not be debating this here. Thanks for passing on the news here for those not advised. If you feel that strongly about the closure, maybe you'd be better served getting in touch with the range directly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

The text said the weather is the reason.

Fair enough reason to me as are all the others posted above.

Hardly a life or death scenario :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭sharky0922

dCorbus wrote: »

Either way, the range is closed (I'm disappointed too, but not unduly surprised) - Let's not be debating this here. Thanks for passing on the news here for those not advised. If you feel that strongly about the closure, maybe you'd be better served getting in touch with the range directly?

haha , i don;t think i can change this kind of decision!
    while its already have so much support.
    and i have to disagree with you one more time dCorbus. lets debate here(and have fun) thats why this place is for,
    especially when we have so much time now :D
    enough i said my line,
    freezing roads
    is it freezing or mined? okay thats it :D

haha , i don;t think i can change this kind of decision!
    while its already have so much support.

It's not a matter of supporting / agreeing / disagreeing with the ranges decisions. That is their decision.
    lets debate here(and have fun) thats why this place is for

Indeed!:D And it is fun!
    especially when we have so much time now

Too damn right, sharky - Getting bloody cabin-fever and my trigger-finger's getting mighty itchy! This weather is driving me nuts - First it's floods then it's snow and ice!

Looking forward to a nice dry sunny Springtime and a scorcher of a Summer (we can only hope and wish for such things!) - and many many many enjoyable days of shooting. (The next week is going to be hard to get through without my fix!;))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Roads are pretty awful in Offaly at t he moment.

I was hoping to shoot this Sat, but don't fancy driving there at the moment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Was in the midlands a week or so before Christmas. The weather was very similar to what we have now, but without the snow. However the roads were lethal, temp was in the minus numbers. Worst part was the fog. At 11:00 there was a fog coming in and slightly covering the 300yd range but the 600 was gone. There was 2 ROs there doing some work around the clubhouse and entrance, 2 ROs in the clubhouse itself and apart from me and the father there was only 2 other people there. Nobody was allowed to shoot but the coffee was flowing and the talk was good. By 12:30 the 300, 200, 100yd ranges were gone and the 50yd was slowing disappearing. We eventually gave up and left.

My point is apart from the snow, frost, freezing temps, roads, etc there is fog in the midlands (both the area and the range). Under range guidelines and basic safety the ROs will not allow any shooting to take place. If they deem it not safe to shoot i, like others, will be slightly disappointed but understand why and respect their decision.

Its under conditions like this that God gave us Sky+HD and Liverpool V Spurs on Sunday:D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Is there anybody left with a liscense for a CF pistol to use the range??:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Or a .22lr :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭E mc kiernan

come here lads whats the set up in midlands?i've never been down an hopefully when i get the license for the new toy i'l go!!what is the charge of range an what do they offer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Roads are pretty awful in Offaly at t he moment.
    +1
    They're fairly rough around here. And freezing fog aswell.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Tell me about it Dusty. Went for a shot today between 2 and 4:30. Roscrea was under heavy pea soup fog. Went out to between Kinnitty and Kilcormac. Serious squeaky bum moments. Eventually couldn't make it up the roads to my normal haunts so called it a day and went home. Duvet weekend.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

ezridax wrote: »
    Tell me about it Dusty. Went for a shot today between 2 and 4:30. Roscrea was under heavy pea soup fog. Went out to between Kinnitty and Kilcormac. Serious squeaky bum moments. Eventually couldn't make it up the roads to my normal haunts so called it a day and went home. Duvet weekend.

I havnt been over that side for a couple of weeks ezri, but i reckon the road to Midlands isnt salted as its kind of a backroad (or maybe it has). The roads were bad and the day of rain only made them worse. With the trees and and stuff along the roads to the range i reckon they havn had a chance to thaw much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Is there anybody left with a liscense for a CF pistol to use the range??:(

yes ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Dusty87 wrote: »
    I havnt been over that side for a couple of weeks ezri, but i reckon the road to Midlands isnt salted as its kind of a backroad (or maybe it has). The roads were bad and the day of rain only made them worse. With the trees and and stuff along the roads to the range i reckon they havn had a chance to thaw much.

As a friend of mine would say, One would go quite soft in the dung with the state of the roads over the christmas period,

Has anybody considered people could have fell walking out to their respective targets also??
    even the Ducks had a holiday due to the Artic conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

As a friend of mine would say, One would go quite soft in the dung with the state of the roads over the christmas period,

Has anybody considered people could have fell walking out to their respective targets also??
    even the Ducks had a holiday due to the Artic conditions.

Yep I had that covered in the second post but Sharky wasn't taking the bait.:D

Advertisement