Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a camera

• 07-01-2010 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Hi ya. I want to buy a compact digital camera. One which produces good quality photo's and one which is dust and splash proof. I have a digital SLR but I would like a point and shoot camera to have on me while at work. I work outdoors and I am forever missing great photo oppurtunities. I realise that your camera expertise may be on SLR's and not compacts but any info is appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

If you want something really rugged and water/dust/shock proof then I can suggest a Canon Powershot D10.

I took these on it :

http://www.chrisdidthis.com/?p=306#more-306

And this video:

http://vimeo.com/8317860

It's a great wee cam with a good sensor and lens and it doesn't afraid of nothing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

or the newer ...Canon G11

Panasonic have a nice selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Personally I've a little Panasonic Lumix P&S which is pretty cool, have played with the G9, G10 and now G11 and couldn't recommend them enough for a p&s but they're not cheap.

What's your budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

I use a Canon Powershot A470, its compact enough and easy to use (big plus for me).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

Canon IXUS 100 DS

I have had canon cameras since 2001 and they rock for point and shoot. Just don't use the strong flash outdoors taking photos at night as all you will get is what is 2 metres in front of you. Therer is no exposure adjustment on them, like the more expensive stuff, but as long as you know that then enjoy. Landscape, video and macro on them is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

If you are used to using a dslr and want the closest thing in a compac id say three to look at are the canon s90 and g11 or the panasonic lx3. The s90 and g11 use the same sensor, the s90 is a lot more compact with a shorter zoom but a wider brighter lens. I have been looking into getting a compact for the last couple weeks and i have just decided on the lx3. If you want something more automatic with a big zoom the panasonic tz7 looks good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I had the same problem of wanting a camera with me most of the time & not wanting to lug around a DSLR. This was about a year ago & I eventually bought the Canon G9 (the G10 was being sold too but still think the G9 was superior) I had a look at the new G11 and think it is really good too & would buy it if I needed one now.

Took this with the G9 yesterday evening. Combination of two exposures. No Tripod either.

529F181A5AAE4A6DA34FBC84147F0F10-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Thats brilliant folks thanks.

Advertisement