Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9 year old won't sleep

Options
  • 07-01-2010 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Help my 9 year old girl won't or can't go to sleep when she goes to bed. it's driving me mad. She will do anything from can I have a drink to ~I need to go to the toilet..... Starts ripping paper into small pieces...... anything not to go to sleep it's like her mind can't switch off. Have two other girls that have no problem going to sleep

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭thecons

I have a 10 year old girl who takes ages to get to sleep. Does your daughter read? I recently have told my daugher she can read until she falls asleep. She has no TV in her room but if she asks can she play her DS I tell her I'd prefer her to read. She's a quiet child so she's content enough with this. It could be 11 before she falls asleep and she's an early riser but she's obviously getting all the sleep she needs. I'd try the reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I'd suggest winding down her activities starting an hour or so before her bedtime. Also pay attention to what TV she is watching or computer games she is playing before going to bed. It's pretty hard to go asleep if your mind is racing after watching an action movie, or playing and engrossing game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I agree with the reading.

What time does she go to bed at? I'd suggest no computers after 7. And no tv for at least half hour before going to bed - instead for the last half hour she could have a little supper eg. something like weetabix and warm milk would be good for sleeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

amdublin wrote: »
    I agree with the reading.

What time does she go to bed at? I'd suggest no computers after 7. And no tv for at least half hour before going to bed - instead for the last half hour she could have a little supper eg. something like weetabix and warm milk would be good for sleeping.

Yup...any food high in carbs will help make her feel more sleepy within 30 mins of eating. (Well, I noticed this is true for me, my brother and my niece)

Advertisement