Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options
  • 07-01-2010 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

New fresh thread.

Please keep all posts relevent.

The snow, ice and cold east winds will Continue for the next 7 days at least.

There is a chance of less cold extremes for a time next week but also the chance of some heavy snowfall.

Friday/Saturday/Sunday will be some of the coldest days we have experienced, with light/moderate snow moving in from the east during late Saturday and becoming widespread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

In, no sloppy seconds here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

New fresh thread.

There is a chance of less cold extremes for a time next week but also the chance of some heavy snowfall.

Friday/Saturday/Sunday will be some of the coldest days we have experienced, with light/moderate snow moving in from the east during late Saturday and becoming widespread.

Thanks Weathercheck! Could do with a new thread! As i was saying in the other thread - Wolfe was looking at the precip type for that chart you put up and it looked like sleet for around Cork City:(! Say it isn't so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

jenzz wrote: »
    So were in for it then ??

At worst, the South, East and South East counties will get snow. This is the type of forecast you will hear and see from official sources between now and saturday.

The models suggest (at this point) that it will be more of a nationwide event than that. Whatever charts i see that are of interest I will post here.

Sorry Wolfe just saw your answer there - cheers!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

18Z GFS has the snow moving in to the east early Saturday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Right im off to my bed, usually when I do it snows and I miss it so its a selfless act from me !!! lol :D

Have a good night, ill be back at my station on the coast at 9am !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

We'll keep the fingers crossed for more than sleet.

Parts of Cork city are still icy.

I'll take 1 ticket for the roller coaster please and a seat near the front if possible:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

This is already serious in Tullow and could get very serious, flooding could be a major issue if a quick thaw was to come, the wicklow mountains has an awful lot of snow that will have to go into the rivers when it melts!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Right this thread has gotten me addicted so 1st post. Im in Wexford just south of Enniscorthy.

The snow is great so far but how likely is it for me to be snowed in next monday with a fresh downfall of snow, ammeant to be travelling to galway but might re organise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

After watching prime time tonight, i had to it turn off.

This country is run/not run by a bunch of retards.

Lets all look out for each other, the older people more.

If we get another light snow shower, the country will stop running.

Its the people that keep the country moving and not the retard politicians

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Villain wrote: »
    This is already serious in Tullow and could get very serious, flooding could be a major issue if a quick thaw was to come, the wicklow mountains has an awful lot of snow that will have to go into the rivers when it melts!!!

Yep, this is getting more serious than a "will we get some snow/wont we" thread. It's turning into a "where in the country is going to be in serious trouble next week" thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I've ordered winter tyres for the wifes car and they are due to arrive from Germany on Tuesday, this guarantees that the cold spell will break on Monday!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

In nearly all models I have seen it looks like I will escape the snow Sunday. Just how far out can these models be?

Onba connected note. When if ever did it snow over the whole island in the same day??

Rougies wrote: »
    Yep, this is getting more serious than a "will we get some snow/wont we" thread. It's turning into a "where in the country is going to be in serious trouble next week" thread!

Yes i know - i really can't believe this is heading for us! It's gonna be crazy if it does happen like they are predicting:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

New fresh thread.

Hi
    I have watched your for a few years now on boards and have to ask are you loving this weather we are having ( because I know this is your life and you know your stuff and love it ) is it the best you have seen and the big question how bad will things be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

It's kinda exciting and scary at the same time!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Wonder if it'll be as cold as it was this morning. My in car thermometer was showing -8C at 9.30am this morning. There was actually frost on the inside of my windscreen :confused:
    I'm getting sick of this cold snap now. Exams start tomorrow and it just gives me one more headache I could do without.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Rougies wrote: »

What thaw max temps next week are 2c only 1/2 c warmer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MB1380

Not getting any snow in cork really. Took a trip up the mountains near me today. these pics were taken at about 500m asl
    DSCF0123.jpg
    DSCF0133.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

leahyl wrote: »
    Yes i know - i really can't believe this is heading for us! It's gonna be crazy if it does happen like they are predicting:)

If you do get snow out of this, you are going to get it in style!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Bring on more snow i say, survival of the fittest, finally

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Kippure wrote: »
    After watching prime time tonight, i had to it turn off.

Lets all look out for each other, the older people more.

If we get another light snow shower, the country will stop running.

Its the people that keep the country moving and not the retard politicians

I particularly blame the Minister For Snow :p

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

leahyl wrote: »

Just be sure to have your most fashionable wellie boots dusted off and nicely warmed :D

Just in case...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Kippure wrote: »

+1
    +2
    +8799

Tactical wrote: »
    Just be sure to have your most fashionable wellie boots dusted off and nicely warmed :D

Just in case...

I don't have any:eek: Must get some:D Oh my god with all my talk this better happen LOL!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I see wind at M2 bouy has been due east for the last couple of hours (DP 1c) while winds in Dublin are due west. Interesting.

-6.3c here atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 kerchow

Oh please let there be lots of snow for Dublin!!!!! i really want to get back some of the kids pelting the cars in the West of the city with stones in the snow balls:( not nice. Does anyone know if the predicted snow for sunday on the east coast is true???? And if we are to get snow over the weekend will there be lots????:)
    And for Mr. Coward to say he is happy with the response of local councils up till now shows that all those lazy brain dead lumps in leinster house live not only on another planet they live on a totally different plane of existance. Do they not have plasma screens there? Do they not see the carnage on the roads? People stranded all over the country? Come off it you total wingnuts, get a bleeping clue.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

interesting piece on bbc2 newsnight now about weather forecasting

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement