Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Golf shoes maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

Someone with a bit more knowledge might be able to elaborate ,

The sea temp around the M2 buoy is 4.9c, is that unusually low ? I have not seen it below 9c over the last few weeks.

it's probably a mistake, this afternoon is was just below 10 I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Someone with a bit more knowledge might be able to elaborate ,

The sea temp around the M2 buoy is 4.9c, is that unusually low ? I have not seen it below 9c over the last few weeks.
    not sure Pete. Don't understand sea temps very well.

By the way, here is UKMO fax chart for 6pm Monday
    10011118_0718.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

patneve wrote: »
    it's probably a mistake, this afternoon is was just below 10 I think

I was thinking that ,

with an Air temp of 4.7 and Dp of -2.0 I could not see where this significant drop had come from.

My Lowest temp in of -8.6 has just been breached

its now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

jenzz wrote: »
    Trog - whats the station record? see we @ -3.2 now.. The NRA last updated the bypass @ 10.30 & was recording -4.3 then. Any idea what you were recording then? Im just up off the motorway so prob nearer to that than you.

Station record since it was setup up in 2006 here is -3.3C jenzz:) will be broken soon i reckon so long as the wind doesn't swing easterly.

And I was at -2.4C at 10:30:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

WolfeIRE wrote: »

10011118_0718.gif

so is the high pressure going to put things back to normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

What does the dew point mean? Why when negative is that good for snow?
    And finally is that dew point anything to do with the dew we get overnight with wet grass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

snowing in dublin airport according to met.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

trogdor wrote: »
    Station record since it was setup up in 2006 here is -3.3C jenzz:) will be broken soon i reckon so long as the wind doesn't swing easterly.

And I was at -2.4C at 10:30:)

wow almost 2 deg difference ... see the humidex @ -6 whats the jazz with tht

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

Light snow shower reported at Dublin Airport according to yahoo weather!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

10011118_0718.gif

Does this symbol legend give a good idea on a breakdown of the symbols on that chart ?

Actually these are the ones

101484.jpg

101485.jpg

fintonie wrote: »
    so is the high pressure going to put things back to normal?
    you would hope it would act as a stopper for any atlantic air trying to push NE. The UKMO does toy with the idea that the atlantic will have a little success but not total.
    10011218_0718.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

temp -4.5
    dp -4.8

LOVIN IT!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

df1985 wrote: »
    hiking boots are the way forward in my opinion.your feet stay warm and most importantly dry and theyve a decent grip.i got a cheap pair in lidl a few months back and theyve survived the swamps at electric picnic, climbing lugnaquilla in bad conditions and this weeks current freeze.best 20euro i ever spent.

Anyone know where to get some hiking boots in the Dublin 18 area? There's a Lidl nearby but they seem to get things in batches there and then you don't see them again for ages.

I think there's some place called Snow and Rock in Dundrum but I've never been to it. I also don't know the first thing about hiking boots either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Does this symbol legend give a good idea on a breakdown of the symbols on that chart ?

No they are not symbols for those type of charts.

good night all. keep an eye out for those showers in the irish sea. they should start popping up on the radar soon. In fact N Dublin should be seeing some action now.

wow almost 2 deg difference ... see the humidex @ -6 whats the jazz with tht

Tbh i have no idea what the humidex is:pac: i know it's only revelevant in higher temperatures though, something like 25C+ i think. I think it's something to do with measuring heat discomfort, likeliness of sunstroke or something like that but i wouldn't be sure on that, that's just what something in the back of my head is telling me:o

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭CityCentreMan

df1985 wrote: »
    finbar had one too many heinos with sorcha in kielys!

Two or three at least!

I knew Sorcha got around but did'nt think she got as far as Leixlip. Thats in Kildare or somewhere down the country - is'nt it?

Anyway, getting back to the weather - on nights like this I highly recommend a "Hot Mulled Wine & Lemsip Cocktail". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Anyone know where to get some hiking boots in the Dublin 18 area? There's a Lidl nearby but they seem to get things in batches there and then you don't see them again for ages.

I think there's some place called Snow and Rock in Dundrum but I've never been to it. I also don't know the first thing about hiking boots either.

i didnt have the foggiest either but the lidl ones were recommended to me.id at least see if they have them, lidl seem to order things in preparation for/reaction to things like music festivals,the weather and the likes.they might have got them in.
    snow and rock will definately have them but i dont know what kinda money they would go for in there.once it says theyre 100% waterproof you should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Just popped out to take a reading from my thermometer, -10.2 degrees in Kiltipper now...

• Advertisement

Tbh i have no idea what the humidex is:pac: i know it's only revelevant in higher temperatures though, something like 25C+ i think. I think it's something to do with measuring heat discomfort, likeliness of sunstroke or something like that but i wouldn't be sure on that, that's just what something in the back of my head is telling me:o

lol - its bloody -6.4 anyway - wouldnt think be too nice out on the patio on that lol

come on -3.3:D

Actually these are the ones

101484.jpg

101485.jpg

These are the correct ones I think ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

good night all. keep an eye out for those showers in the irish sea. they should start popping up on the radar soon. In fact N Dublin should be seeing some action now.

take it easy mr wolfe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

These are the correct ones I think ?

Yep.

Sea temp sensor on the M2 buoy seems to be fecked , gone from 4.9 to 69.9

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

precipitation for north dublin on the radar.

lol - its bloody -6.4 anyway - wouldnt think be too nice out on the patio on that lol

come on -3.3:D

Haha not at all! I wonder what the risk of sunstroke is like though...:pac:
    It's been stalled at -3.2C for an age:p

Haha not at all! I wonder what the risk of sunstroke is like though...:pac:
    It's been stalled at -3.2C for an age:p

Well the motorway hit -5.3 ouch ( for a seaside town)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

try millet, they do hiking and ski gear, I am not sure if there is one in Dundrum but I would presume there is. the aul ski gear is coming in rather useful this week coz of the temps!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

looks like they had to manually put the temp in for kildare at the top of met . ie as they don't have a little circle icon for -11

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement