Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

I see it's a balmy -12 in Tullow tonight. Time for a bbq

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

BBC are not calling 'Sunday'

no dont tell me dat:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

OnTheBalls wrote: »
    When I lived in Munich last year it was -15 to -18 sometimes. But it it's -8 in Drogheda and it seems colder?

Indeed and I have worked with Sweds who have told me that they never felt as cold as when they came to Ireland. I think it is to do with the humitiy here. They have a drier cold than we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

no dont tell me dat:eek:

I thought someone else said they saw a BBC tv forecast with snow for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Was Mickey mouse in north Dublin. A dribble.

By the way bbc report -7c at Dublin airport at 11pm.

BBC are not calling 'Sunday'.

Who will be right sky or BBC?

I'm liable to go sky for immediate forecasts but BBC have as good an idea as anyone on 24 hours plus.

Havent Met Eireann called it too?

The east to northeasterly airflow will persist on Sunday and Monday, but with those winds increasing. So the snow threat for the whole of the country increases too. There is likely to be further snow over a wide area, but especially the eastern half of the country, some of it heavy, with possibly some drifting in the winds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Villain from the weather forum on here is featured in the Irish Times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0108/1224261896627.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

-17.7 in Manchester according to 5 live.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Tipperarymike

Hi lads

Yet another newbie blow in to this forum as I imagine several others are lately. Some clued in chaps here I must say!

Flattery over though! This thing of Sunday/Monday... Does that mean Sunday afternoon monday etc as bein the key time? Reason I ask is I am flying to Newcastle this weekend and flight due back in Dublin 9am Sunday morning and I really dont fancy getting stuck in Dublin. That being said I dont fancy the drive back to Tipperary either if it gets as bad as seems possible

Bloody weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the rte/met weather forecast is too simple we should be told more about jetstreams and gulfstreams, met should have it own weekly program of detailed weather forecast and weather stories/education.

is the cold and snow that started before christmas part of this same (global) weather pattern,thats continue till to day, or did that start in the last ten days? if met eireann forecast there was going to lower -5 (and this Snice) for large parts of the country for a few days, then thats the day to start national emergency coordination, with gov keeping an eye on things if councils can't cope, not 3 weeks in...

Here's one for you! I'm a couple of days late with it, but in January 5/6th 1839 there was snow lying on the ground in Ireland too......

Isnt that great!! :)

Oh, and that night there was a hurricane!! :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_the_Big_Wind

-6c here now! :)

• Advertisement

Hi lads

Yet another newbie blow in to this forum as I imagine several others are lately. Some clued in chaps here I must say!

Flattery over though! This thing of Sunday/Monday... Does that mean Sunday afternoon monday etc as bein the key time? Reason I ask is I am flying to Newcastle this weekend and flight due back in Dublin 9am Sunday morning and I really dont fancy getting stuck in Dublin. That being said I dont fancy the drive back to Tipperary either if it gets as bad as seems possible

Bloody weather!

Hi Tipp and welcome! I believe this 'event' is anytime from Sunday afternoon onwards? However, its still 3+ days out, a lot of time for things to change and they can......and probably will, you may find that Sunday/Monday may be nice dry days, or it could be peeing rain right across the country. Its only really 24hrs before an event that you can get a good enough idea of how things are going to materialise, and even then its not 100% certain. Snow is a hard thing to predict as the experts here will tell you!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

Indeed and I have worked with Sweds

sounds interesting:P

i have worked with swede's (turnips):D

Thanks a mill Croppy

I cant even being to imagine how tricky it is to predict this stuff. Think we shall chance it anyway. Might drive up tomorrow as had planned on the bus instead. Least sundays should be quiet on the roads as you would need to be nuts to be out in this weather if yo ucould avoid it.

Last year wife and I were in Vermont for a few weeks and the coldest day they had was about minus 20 with the night bein minus 30. You could still rock on down the roads though. One night when it was at its coldest I went out to the jeep to get a magazine and the glossy pages were practically stuck together!

Cant beat Ireland though for having a crisis though!

Thanks again

No problem mike! Sure keep an eye in here over the next few days as Sunday/Monday is going to be the hot topic, that you can be sure of! I think the most of the experts are tucked up in bed now, they'd be able to give you a good analysis of whats likely to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

One night when it was at its coldest I went out to the jeep to get a magazine and the glossy pages were practically stuck together!

we dont want to know about those kinda mags!

Anyhow -5c here with fog!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

hi people,bn following forum last few days&makes great reading,made couple of postes wen snowing(or graupel as i was informed) but thats all,however reading bout winds &m2 bouy&stuff makes me ask the question if the m2 bouy temp has gone up to 5c&DP-0.5&dublin airport gone from -8 to-7 does that mean its the start of the easterly wind

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

-17.7 in Manchester according to 5 live.

-19.3c in Altnaharra, scotland

Sorry snaps

I forgot this was a family forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭FuzzyZoeller

Just had a brisk walk home here in Naas.

-10.1 on the Thermo.

Never going out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

10 year record low

-6.8C previous record -6.0C

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭knoximus

-7.8c. Kilkenny city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

-28 here now according to the big sign across from the motel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

malman wrote: »
    Indeed and I have worked with Sweds who have told me that they never felt as cold as when they came to Ireland. I think it is to do with the humitiy here. They have a drier cold than we do.

I do never get that. I hear of Polish and other nationalities who have grown up with -20 weather say that they think Ireland is colder. I have lived in conditions in excess of -35 which lasted a few days and that was in a land locked state with dry air. And believe me it was way colder than any night i have ever experienced in Ireland. Cold is cold to me once it's below zero but at least here i never get short of breath, dizzy and lightheaded and have this weird sensation.. It's -28 here now in Bismarck and it feels colder than the current cold spell in Ireland has been to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

-15.2 c

Recorded

http://www.carlowweather.com/

And N81 Baltinglass -14.5 c as of 03.40

NRA station

Very Strong, Negative Arctic Oscillation having Widespread Impact

http://global-warming.accuweather.com/2010/01/very_strong_negative_arctic_os.html

8th Jan 2009
    Casement with a min of -12.4C equaled its lowest temp on record set in Jan 1979
    -9.0C (till 6am) at Dublin AP is lowest recorded there since Dec 1961

Min of -7.0C is record low for my site, 10 year record.
    With a breeze the temp is rising, -5.0C atm

Tullow trying to get lower than the -16.1C yesterday morn.
    -15.4C atm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

<Listens to boiler kicking in> :)

Tullow now -15.9 and dropping

She's trying now to be outdone by yesterday

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

redsunset wrote: »
    Tullow now -15.9 and dropping

She's trying now to be outdone by yesterday

Now at -16.1c

Now at 16.2c - how low can it go!

• Advertisement

-16.2C

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement