Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Celbridge was -10 this morning on the way into Work about 6:30 am

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Just wondering about temps on Sunday - apologies if this is already covered -there's just too many posts to read. :)

ME have forecast temps for Sunday coming right up to 2 or 3C... does this not rule out forecasted snow? I guess they are daytime temps and should drop quite a bit in the evening when most of the snow is due to arrive, what do you all reckon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

-16.3C and 2 more hours of potential falling to come...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Latest met.ie forecast:

National Forecast
    hr.gif

08 January 2010 05:12

Today
    Extremely cold this morning with very severe frost and ice, along with freezing fog which may linger all day in places. Otherwise apart from the odd wintry flurry, today will be bright and dry with light winds. Highest temperatures will only range -3 to plus 2 degrees.

Tonight
    Tonight will be mostly dry and calm, but exceptionally cold with widespread very severe frost and freezing fog. Temperatures will fall to range - 3 degrees near coasts to as low as -13 degrees well inland. Some snow showers will affect east coasts around daybreak.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

Tomorrow will be very cold again, with frost and freezing fog persisting. Snow showers near east coasts will spread further inland and west during the day. Highest temperatures of -2 to +3 degrees.

Outlook

The wintry cold spell will continue for the foreseeable future. Apart from a few snow showers near east and south coasts, Saturday night will be dry, but very cold with severe frost and ice. Sunday will be cold and mostly cloudy with occasional sleet and snow showers in the south and east, giving accumulations in places.

Monday will be very cold again. It'll be a mostly cloudy day with frequent showers of sleet and snow in a strong easterly wind. Significant accumulations will occur and drifting is possible due to strong easterly winds. Apart from a few snow showers, Tuesday will be mostly dry but very cold in a strong east to southeast wind.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

Pass me the suntan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

I'm no expert, but there seams to be a stream starting on the est coast heading towards south dublin... ???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I'm no expert, but there seams to be a stream starting on the est coast heading towards south dublin... ???

Certainly something pepping up there alright. Given that winds are west on land, not sure how far inland these showers can make it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

-16.4:eek:

Is there no end to this madness

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

-16.5c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

A balmy -3.4 here in Donegal Town now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Yes but they are heading SW down the Irish sea

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

-12c here... clear and dropping -21c in the north of scotland i bet somewhere down there is colder!

redsunset wrote: »
    -16.4:eek:

Is there no end to this madness

:D

-16.7:eek:

-16.8c ;)

Snowing !!!

Snizzle more accurate

-1.3/-1.8C

DOCARCH wrote: »
    -16.7c

Ahhh - you went and edited your post redsunset!
    He's put the thing in his freezer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Remember around sunrise is usualy the coldest and temps can drop 2 or 3 degrees around sunrise

What temperature does a keyboard freeze at ? :)

Has he got it near a liquid nitrogen bath or what:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

-9.5C in Trim this morning.

• Advertisement

At -17 does the wee box saying "Very Cold" change to "Fcuking Freeeezin" ???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

redsunset wrote: »
    Has he got it near a liquid nitrogen bath or what:D

well hes out in the country and the country can usually be 3-4c colder on frosty nights like im 4c or something colder than that station but then its 20 miles away and thats the nearest station........ temps in the countryside near that station would probably be around -10c.

owenc wrote: »
    well hes out in the country and the country can usually be 3-4c colder on frosty nights like im 4c or something colder than that station but then its 20 miles away and thats the nearest station........ temps in the countryside near that station would probably be around -10c.

Was about to say something smart but I deleted it!

-17.0 BTW (at Tullow)

Vincent O'Shea on the met 7.55am forecast on radio one just said there is a risk of "heavier snow" during wenesday and thursday next. A very brave, but encouraging, call so far out I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Morning guys!! Well i have seen my first snow this morning! A LIGHT dusting in Cork City and a little further west on college road but i was delighted! Temperature was -6 in the car:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sad, really sad.. pathetic even.....

What all the "great" dictators lived by....
    Bring on more snow i say, survival of the fittest, finally

Vincent O'Shea on the met 7.55am forecast on radio one just said there is a risk of "heavier snow" during wenesday and thursday next. A very brave, but encouraging, call so far out I think.

Heard that - hope it happens for their sake (and ours :D), if it dosen't, they will have a lot of people accusing them of crying wolf (i.e. local authorities who are scrambling to get salt and grit).

owenc wrote: »

I know exactly where he is owen.
    I know tullow very well as im based not too far from there

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

NO WELLIES? IN IRELAND??:rolleyes:

Gee!!!

The dogs sit by mine; they know wellies mean walkies

Try LIDL; basic but cheap!
    leahyl wrote: »
    I don't have any:eek: Must get some:D Oh my god with all my talk this better happen LOL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Vincent O'Shea on the met 7.55am forecast on radio one just said there is a risk of "heavier snow" during Wednesday and Thursday next. A very brave, but encouraging, call so far out I think.
    I heard it, too far out, we have to get over Sunday and Monday first, and all the models a pointing to the south getting a lot of snow, but even that is too far out, we'll wait and see.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement