Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Good morning.

MAJOR Snowfall on GFS now for Monday:
    PPt starts here
    Rtavn604.png

And lasts for days, with t850 only rising above -5 well into tuesday evening.
    This is what the NOGAPS has shown yesterday.
    This could be a hell of an end (??) to this cold period!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Good morning.

MAJOR Snowfall on GFS now for Monday:
    PPt starts here
    Rtavn604.png

And lasts for days, with t850 only rising above -5 well into tuesday evening.
    This is what the NOGAPS has shown yesterday.
    This could be a hell of an end (??) to this cold period!!!

Can you tell me where the hardest hit areas will be? I presume the east? Was looking at net weather there and seems like a good bit of snow for south alright but then fizzles out and more sleet/rain but still snow for east:eek:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

200motels wrote: »
    I heard it, too far out, we have to get over Sunday and Monday first, and all the models a pointing to the south getting a lot of snow, but even that is too far out, we'll wait and see.

It has to be said though that it's a brave forecast for ME!

Must now go and do something productive and earn some money - my wife rightly pointed out last night that me looking at the internet will not change the weather - I have now also come to that conclusion. :)

She also said that if we still had the Celtic Tiger would wouldn't have got this weather - so true!

Results (this is fresh snow from today till Wednesday, by cm approx):
    132_24.gif

BTW Galway city is all-white, with about 1-2 cm total snow covering everything :) hell, when did that happen? Missed it totally :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

leahyl wrote: »
    Morning guys!! Well i have seen my first snow this morning! A LIGHT dusting in Cork City and a little further west on college road but i was delighted! Temperature was -6 in the car:eek:

Just walked through Cork city centre and bus out to Model Farm Road. Not really snow on the ground...more like a couple of mms of freezing fog that settled. there is a lot of it about this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Ludo wrote: »
    Just walked through Cork city centre and bus out to Model Farm Road. Not really snow on the ground...more like freezing fog that settled. there is a lot of it about this morning.

Looked like snow to me! And they mentioned it on aa roadwatch on radio 1 - you'd swear it was significant like! It's not! it's just nice to see a bit more than frost!:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Ludo wrote: »
    Just walked through Cork city centre and bus out to Model Farm Road. Not really snow on the ground...more like freezing fog that settled. there is a lot of it about this morning.

Just mentioned it on AA Roadwatch. If you look at 0700 UKMO radar you can see a little blob of ppn over Cork city.

Just looking out my office window now and there's really bad (freezing?) fog out there....looks eerie..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

BTW Galway city is all-white, with about 1-2 cm total snow covering everything :) hell, when did that happen? Missed it totally :D

Snow in Galway city?

City centre-freezing fog!

Very dark cloud to my east now - looks like south Dublin will get a snow shower = travel chaos no doubt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

Dya think its finally going to happen for Galway...?????
    Going by your chart we're in for a nice bit of snow between now and next Wednesday...
    Although it will probably be clear by Monday......:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Snowing here:) -2.5C/-3.5C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Morning all. I see our own Villain is mentioned and interviewed in the paper of record.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0108/1224261896627.html

trogdor wrote: »
    Snowing here:) -2.5C/-3.5C

Looks a fairly decent blob too,i wonder will the irish sea pep more good ones today.
    Answer is yes

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭kopp

leincar wrote: »
    Morning all. I see our own Villain is mentioned and interviewed in the paper of record.

Morning Boss, Mad temp -8 here in dublin at 8:30am :D coldest Ive seen....no heat here....depending on the fire to keep us warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

leincar wrote: »

His current temperature is -17.3c :eek:

Heavy snow with no wind, chucking it down..but in a peaceful kinda way:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Some official mean minima's from met eireann inland statons so far this January (up to midnight last)

Casement: -6.3c :eek::eek:
    Oak Park: -5.9c :eek: (assumes a figure of -12c being record on the 7th as not updated yet on met.ie site
    Claremorris: -4.9c
    Mulligar: - 4.8c
    Shannon Airport: -4.6c.

Data source: http://www.met.ie/climate/daily-data.asp

• Advertisement

I think Met Eireann should get there arse to tullow and set up one of their own stations if their going to discount Villain's record low temps.

By the way it's -17.4 now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

I'm about six miles from Villain and right now I'm on -14.6c. I wouldn't have believed it except I know the Temps other people are getting.

Biggest flakes i've seen so far, accumulating fast

Good stuff! Could be an interesting day given the light winds inland (keeping the temps down) and the easterly flow. The only thing is pressure is rising pretty quickly. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

-9.8 here in trim
    just short of -10 :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Is it too early for another snow angel?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Is there not several plumbers in your house?

kopp wrote: »
    Morning Boss, Mad temp -8 here in dublin at 8:30am :D coldest Ive seen....no heat here....depending on the fire to keep us warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Light snow shower, different one to the one in Bray
    Temp above zero

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yes; having been away for 12 hours I noticed that that has.... crystallised... too.

It is also a youth/age divide, a divide between those who can afford to heat ther homes and can get to supplies, who are fit and strong..and those who have fewer resources... .
    Or who have livestock etc and thus whose livelihood is threatened now.

Also the humour coming through is a blessing. ( I am reading through two threads at once...)
    I've noticed a big change in the tone of the posts here - from everyone wanting snow to a 50/50 split on those that want it and those that just wish it would stop.

Just shows - we're really not made out for anything other than mild temperatures, grey skies and drizzle 12 months of the year in this country!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Morning lads, a little chilly here this morning with -17.4c :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement