Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Reasonable snow shower making straight for city centre

Shame i missed again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

flamegrill wrote: »

If that is actually happening, then the global warming predictions may be correct! :eek:

In brief, it was forecast that in the long term Gulf Stream would be cut off/diverted therefore giving Europe much colder winters - could it be starting???

Still snowing here btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Well done Alan, Interview was really good. Good plug for IWN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Prundic

Snow beginning to fall in Blessington.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Just started to snow here in Lucan.
    Nice and powdery.
    I was just about to drive into work. I think I'll be working from home again today! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Snow Stopping in Dublin 6w - Bushy Park. Sky clearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Has anyone else in Terenure/Dublin lost mains water this morning ? The local water main couldn't have frozen could it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

snowfall has stopped in dundrum now, but i can see more showery looking clouds on their way here i think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

snowing on the North Wall Quay, Dublin 1 now. Big flakes and sticking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Satellite image shows that to have been a bit of a one hit wonder, oh well, was a nice start to the day.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Snowing in Connolly station and proper snow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

DOCARCH wrote: »
    If that is actually happening, then the global warming predictions may be correct! :eek:

In brief, it was forecast that in the long term Gulf Stream would be cut off/diverted therefore giving Europe much colder winters - could it be starting???

Still snowing here btw.

Wouldnt this be connected to El Nino in the Pacific?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

With the snow predicted by Sky news for Saturday through to Monday being far and above what's over south dublin right now - could there be another 1982 on our hands come Monday morning?:confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Supercell wrote: »
    Satellite image shows that to have been a bit of a one hit wonder, oh well, was a nice start to the day.

Think so but still one last heavier burst to come here yet as there are dark clouds to my north.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Sorry folks I kinda switched off yesterday thinking we would not get snow in artane till sunday.But just got up and it is snowing heavy.What do you all think is the start for a great/mad week of snow.how long will it last

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

On a side note guys, what do you think about the potential for actual snowfall from the system moving over Ireland on Sunday/Monday? Both Sky and the BBC seem to be saying that it'll fall as rain, over Dublin at least. Temps for this Sunday and Monday also seem relatively high according to the forecasts. Even Met E is forecasting a high of 3c for Dublin on Sunday. Is this too warm for snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Randy Marsh knows the story.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiPUjGNTi24

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Snowing quite heavy now in Dublin 4. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Hi folks ,what was the coldest tempeture recorded by boards members last night?
    Any -16?

• Advertisement

Pangea wrote: »
    Any -16?

-17.7c. Where have you been? :D By Villain

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

O sh*t snow just stopped in artane

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Think so but still one last heavier burst to come here yet as there are dark clouds to my north.

those dark clouds have just reached me here in dundrum and it's snow again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

compsys wrote: »
    On a side note guys, what do you think about the potential for actual snowfall from the system moving over Ireland on Sunday/Monday? Both Sky and the BBC seem to be saying that it'll fall as rain, over Dublin at least. Temps for this Sunday and Monday also seem relatively high according to the forecasts. Even Met E is forecasting a high of 3c for Dublin on Sunday. Is this too warm for snow?

Last night skynews weather stated that cloud coming over the alps would move west and lash us out of it with snow come saturday, sunday and or monday.

The BBC animation shows cloud coming in from the atlantic.

So which is it?

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Snow almost completely stopped here in D14.

Still, we've already had more than predicted

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Lashing snow D2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

According to this it looks very likely for Sunday

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=uk7dayx2;sess=

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Pangea wrote: »
    Any -16?

Did you not read the first 35 pages of this thread?:D As far as I remember it was -17.7 by Villain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Pretty heavy snow shower and then 5 mins of heavy graupel just stopped here at the docks !!!

(No docker jokes please !!) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

compsys wrote: »

I would say it will fall as rain along the southeast coast and up the east coast only during later on Sunday though as some less cold dewpoints move in, however we are talking very marginal stuff here, if guidance chances even by 1/1.5c over the coming days there could be some high totals of snow in Dublin by Monday.

Although it will initially fall as snow for Saturday/ Early Sunday but then marginality comes into, however inland looks good for it to stay as snow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement