Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

DOCARCH wrote: »
    -17.7c. Where have you been? :D By Villain
    Wow That is unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Gorgeous snow in Blanchardstown right now :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Stupid snow, go away. Come again at the weekend or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

City centre just got a reasonable snow shower!

http://www.camvista.com/ireland/dublin/oconnell.php

Tis mad howi miss these yokes:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

Heavy snow in Castleknock:D:D:D:D:D:D...blizzard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

Cheers. Snowing again in Rathfarnham. This is great stuff. So unexpected for today!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

So rain for Dubs on Sun/Mon?

Bummer :(

TomTom wrote: »
    Stupid snow, go away. Come again at the weekend or something.

Nearly the moment I posted that I looked out and it had stopped snowing, Yay.

Maybe I can repeat it.

Stupid Lotto ticket, be a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭Heroditas

could there be another 1982 on our hands come Monday morning?:confused:

Worse than that, it could be another 1947

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Heroditas wrote: »
    Worse than that, it could be another 1947

Well - that's exactly what i want! The more extreme the better....and why not!:D

• Advertisement

MilanPan!c wrote: »

Certainly won't be sleet in Dublin on those days...maybe in the SouthEast or South coast...not here however...Graupel/Hail at worst:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Villain wrote: »
    on gerry ryan now

I figured that was you when I heard it, sounded good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Any chance of it moving as far as Navan ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 wertyl

So typical Irish not to be able to handle anything at all and looking negatively at everything, instead of just sorting it out - a puny bit of snow and a few minus degrees and the whole country is in chaos. Where I am from we get this EVERY year and much colder -15 during the DAY, and up to 1 meter of snow - yes, the roads are icy there too and not everywhere gets gritted, but people still drive (slooowly, mind) and the whole country does not shut down.

This is just winter - not adverse weather. And I think it is great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Lashing snow in Corduff!

Really heavy snow again in Castleknock, Dublin 15...snowing very heavily apparently at Dublin airport:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

"Its weather like this tat made me go into doin CLimate Science , iTS AMAZING!"

But also dangerous...Be carefull out there people .

Anyone see the Nasa satellite image of uk and us?
    Its like THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW!

15516558.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Heavy snow in Terenure. No one else in D6 lost water ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

6z GFS is a nightmare for forecasters and potentially Ireland.

There is alot of precipitation, temperatures of around 1c through increasing on Saturday, through Sunday, Monday, there would be potential for large falls of snow across much of the East/South/Midlands and potential big accumulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

MilanPan!c wrote: »

Well according to all the weather reports RTE/Sky/BBC we are in for very heavy snow in Dublin on Sunday at some stage so don't know how you are thinking it will be rain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

wertyl wrote: »
    So typical Irish not to be able to handle anything at all and looking negatively at everything, instead of just sorting it out - a puny bit of snow and a few minus degrees and the whole country is in chaos. Where I am from we get this EVERY year and much colder -15 during the DAY, and up to 1 meter of snow - yes, the roads are icy there too and not everywhere gets gritted, but people still drive (slooowly, mind) and the whole country does not shut down.

Historically we are a temperate country so not equipped to deal with snow.
    The councils are hard pressed to run things in good weather without paying to maintain a fleet of of snow removal equipment and huge stockpiles of salt/grit.
    I agree though action on grit/salt supplies could have been taken earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I agree 100% well said

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Gratuitous sneachta pic

101500.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I don't think the country is shutting down, it's just the media doom and gloom that like to pretend that the country is on its knees due to this weather. Sure I am stuck in Dublin due to the weather but its not the end of the world, but if I was to post that from a media point of view it would be "Man cut off from family for days due to weather".

It's cold, its dangerous and its very uncommon for Ireland but I don't think the country is anywhere near shutting down. Also you do have the bit of snow in Dublin and its the focal point for the news, not sure if the floods that did so much damage in the west and south got as much analysis as this cold snap.

I agree with you, its just winter after all.

Don't be such a depressive MilanPan and stop looking at those inaccurate Brit forecasts:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/

incredible,down the road,17 mile's in trim,sunny and not a cloud,driveing me mad at this stage with the lack of snow around here.
    not holding out much hope for the sunday/monday event,looks very marginal,sky downgraded it look's like it will struggle to get to dublin and bbc online forecast look's like it will be luky to hit wicklow,and that's if it's even snow!!!!

chart's look a little more favourable but im doing my best not to get excited over this "event" been let down to often this winter allready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fintonie viewpost.gif
    so is the high pressure going to put things back to normal?

you would hope it would act as a stopper for any atlantic air trying to push NE. The UKMO does toy with the idea that the atlantic will have a little success but not total.

prediction chart for monday10011218_0718.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

The 850mb temperature profile supports snowfall widely on multi-model guidance until later on Monday. Certain inlufences may override this, especially in exposed coastal areas but with a deep cold pool in place & a continental influence, there is quite likely to be snowfall in many areas if the latest charts verify.

Indeed, the overnight ECMWF evolution supports considerable snowfall until later on Monday. In these setups, you generally don't get a snow to rain event as the 850mb level warms. Instead, precipitation becomes lighter and fizzles out.

That's generally the scenario. We shall have to see what happens, but taking a vast array of multi-model guidance this morning, for example GFS 06Z, the potential can clearly be seen.

Also bear in mind that Met Eireann would not be so bullish about this unless they had conifdence on the potential event. On the Radio Forecast this morning, Vincent O' Shea - a veteran at Met Eireann - clearly outlined the risks.

People living on high ground, especially in the East & Southeast should monitor forecasts over the next while - Confidence is now rising towards 50% or perhaps even slightly more on a potentially disruptive snow event from later on Sunday.

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Last night skynews weather stated that cloud coming over the alps would move west and lash us out of it with snow come saturday, sunday and or monday.

The BBC animation shows cloud coming in from the atlantic.

So which is it?

What i cant understand is that no weather charts are showing any fronts coming to us or the south UK on sunday/mon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭rockdrummer

Lashing snow in Corduff!

is that you John Mc.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement