Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

snow ghost wrote: »
    interesting piece on bbc2 newsnight now about weather forecasting

Excellent

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I see wind at M2 bouy has been due east for the last couple of hours (DP 1c) while winds in Dublin are due west. Interesting.

-6.3c here atm.

Has the easterly started already ? DP is -1.1 on the m2 buoy wind direction of 80 :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I think we could have a small streamer starting ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

the one thing that concerns me about Sunday's event is that the source of the air looks to my untrained eye to have come up from southern europe, hopefully by the time it reaches is us it will have been modified significantly

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Is there showers on there way into North Dublin at the moment ? . It looks like the Irish Sea has started to pep up a bit !

101455.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I think we could have a small streamer starting ?

Met Eireann mentioned a few showers could push onto east/southeast coasts tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

hmmm fresh meat (snow)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Has the easterly started already ? DP is -1.1 on the m2 buoy wind direction of 80 :eek:

Excuse my ignorance, but what does this mean??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

So south cork yet again doesn't get snow? Are we like the only place not going to get any?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

It means the Dew Points are low enough for snow out on the Irish sea and the wind is coming from 80 degrees clockwise from North, which is an easterly wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Cold air moving eastwards towards the coast, if convection started and snow showers formed then they could get blown on to land due to the wind direction.

Looks to be a fairly light affair to me at the moment though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    At worst, the South, East and South East counties will get snow. This is the type of forecast you will hear and see from official sources between now and saturday.

The models suggest (at this point) that it will be more of a nationwide event than that. Whatever charts i see that are of interest I will post here.

Thanks hun

Jaysus we are way down temp wise - Bray showing -4.3 on bypass ( beside me) Holy crap - I think that beats Trogdors arecord low for night time..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Kippure wrote: »
    After watching prime time tonight, i had to it turn off.

This country is run/not run by a bunch of retards.

Lets all look out for each other, the older people more.

If we get another light snow shower, the country will stop running.

Its the people that keep the country moving and not the retard politicians

Truth of the highest order here. I wasn't sure whether to laugh, cry, puke or punch the wall when watching the OPW mand say "it's not our responsibility", the waterways man say "I've no ide whose responsibility it [the dredging of the waterways] is", and John Gormley pass the buck back to the OPW.

This country is being run into the ground by years upon years of succesive lines of utter bastards. That Dublin can be brought to standstill by little more than an inch of snow is absolutely scandalous.

Apologies for the OT rant :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Slugs wrote: »
    So south cork yet again doesn't get snow? Are we like the only place not going to get any?

no... I'm sulking cos I don't reckon East Clare will get any either.:mad:

:D

your more than welcome to come & share.....Im trying to figure out though would you need skis, crampons or a chopper to get here.:D

Wow - scientific experiment done there.. Poured water on the table - frozen solid in less than 10 min....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Even up here I might not get any if it doesn't push far enough north :(

The M2 is basically a weather station 20 nautical mile of the cost of Howth head.

In some ways it lets you know what is on route to the coastline.

A negative DP, in this case -1.1 is always good if you want your precip to be snow.

On the wind direction ,
    if you look at a compass to have from 0 to 360 degree's

0 North
    90 East
    180 South
    270 West.

For us in the east coast to get really cold winds from eastern europe /russia we like a nice easterly.

In the case of the M2 buoy its showing 80 so its nearly a full easterly , or a North East East if you want to be picky .

Anyhow thats my amateur , laymans description.

Some of the info provided may be wrong and I am open to correction

Anyone got a snow plow to bring spread the snow to south cork, east clare, and donegal? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Anyone got a snow plow to bring spread the snow to south cork, east clare, and donegal? :P

When you say South Cork - where exactly do you mean?

• Advertisement

The M2 is basically a weather station 20 nautical mile of the cost of Howth head.

A negative DP, in this case -1.1 is always good if you want your precip to be snow.

On the wind direction ,

0 North
    90 East
    180 South
    270 West.

For use to get really cold winds from eastern europe /russia we like a nice easterly.

In the case of the M2 buoy its showing 80 so its nearly a full easterly , or a North East East if you want to be picky .

Nope spot on ; ill second that :D

Rougies wrote: »
    It means the Dew Points are low enough for snow out on the Irish sea and the wind is coming from 80 degrees clockwise from North, which is an easterly wind.

Here was me writing a long winded reply and you jump in there and rob my thunder !

First piece of useful info I was going to give on the weather forum in over a year too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Even the latest fax goes for a breakdown next Tuesday to less cold.
    It sums up Met E when they say another 10days at least:rolleyes:

The breakdown is a cert, but the odds are favouring a swift return to cold at the moment. Still though a breakdown is imminent, expect a subtle change in forecasters words tomorrow

jenzz wrote: »
    Wow - scientific experiment done there.. Poured water on the table - frozen solid in less than 10 min....
    At the present rate of freeze-less than 2 minutes and it freezes on the ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Explanation

Thanks for that, always interesting to know how this stuff works.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

A guy came into our shop this morning looking for size of hiking boots for himself...we didn't have the size for him, my supervisor said infront of me and the man that in the two years that the store has been opened, barely any of those hiking shoes/boots were bought...in the last few days...most of the bigger sizes have been sold out.

Well I've got my hiking boots, ski pants, ski gloves and other gear ready for the weekend/week ahead...sad thing is, I've gotta trek into Dublin on sat/sun for 20hrs of TEFL training...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

On the wind direction ,

0 North
    90 East
    180 South
    270 West.

For use to get really cold winds from eastern europe /russia we like a nice easterly.

Just on the official wind direction, it's actually a "East by north" at 80 degrees.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_the_compass

EDIT: sorry pistolpetes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=gfs&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=rart&HH=78&ZOOM=1&ARCHIV=0&WMO=

By midnight Sunday, Donegal will be the new Waterford...in snow terms.Sorry ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Just had a thought there (doesn't happen too often in this vacant ceann of mine)....If Met Eireann has advised the Department of the Environment thgat the cold spell is set to continue well into next week, is it not reasonable to suggest that they clearly do not think that the cold spell will lose out to warmer air this Sunday and Monday?

thinking.jpg

• Advertisement

Cobh :P should probably say that, it's ridiculous like, I want some goddamn snow!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement