Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

TomTom wrote: »
    Nearly the moment I posted that I looked out and it had stopped snowing, Yay.

Maybe I can repeat it.

Stupid Lotto ticket, be a winner.

You must be up in the Big Schmoke - tis a lovely morning down this neck of the woods, apart from the sub zero temperatures....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

6z GFS is a nightmare for forecasters and potentially Ireland.

There is alot of precipitation, temperatures of around 1c through increasing on Saturday, through Sunday, Monday, there would be potential for large falls of snow across much of the East/South/Midlands and potential big accumulations.

I agree WC, could be the most significant widespread snow event for quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

wertyl wrote: »
    So typical Irish not to be able to handle anything at all and looking negatively at everything, instead of just sorting it out - a puny bit of snow and a few minus degrees and the whole country is in chaos. Where I am from we get this EVERY year and much colder -15 during the DAY, and up to 1 meter of snow - yes, the roads are icy there too and not everywhere gets gritted, but people still drive (slooowly, mind) and the whole country does not shut down.

This is just winter - not adverse weather. And I think it is great

wertyl, it's precisely because we don't get it regularly that we're in less of a position to sort it out quickly. I used to live in Germany where winter tyres were mandatory fitted in October. We don't generally need it here so it's not required. We don't need 10 snow ploughs for Dublin. Let's face it, two key years are being discussed here, 1982 and 1947. Is there really any point in being ready for a weather event that occurs roughly every 35 years every year?

This is adverse weather by Irish standards. In Ireland. It's not so uncommon in parts of Germany or parts of America. Do you seriously think coastal California would be able to cope with unusual weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Th 6z GFS shows the possibilities, we are stuck in a bitter southeasterly, flowing in over the snowfields of Europe and Britain.

Late Saturday/Sunday/Monday, provide potential severe weather event for the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭dmaprelude

Been snowing in Ballymount for past hour, M50 is turning white

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

So typical Irish not to be able to handle anything at all and looking negatively at everything, instead of just sorting it out - a puny bit of snow and a few minus degrees and the whole country is in chaos. Where I am from we get this EVERY year and much colder -15 during the DAY, and up to 1 meter of snow - yes, the roads are icy there too and not everywhere gets gritted, but people still drive (slooowly, mind) and the whole country does not shut down.

Highlighted the important bit there champ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 hairy cake

Snow just arrived in Leixlip now.

This weather is great! It's -7 degrees out and the snow is pelting down once again.

I for one welcome our new crystalline overlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Villain wrote: »
    Morning lads, a little chilly here this morning with -17.4c :D

Well done you should take Gerrys slot

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

TomTom wrote: »
    I don't think the country is shutting down, it's just the media doom and gloom that like to pretend that the country is on its knees due to this weather. Sure I am stuck in Dublin due to the weather but its not the end of the world, but if I was to post that from a media point of view it would be "Man cut off from family for days due to weather".

It's cold, its dangerous and its very uncommon for Ireland but I don't think the country is anywhere near shutting down. Also you do have the bit of snow in Dublin and its the focal point for the news, not sure if the floods that did so much damage in the west and south got as much analysis as this cold snap.

I agree with you, its just winter after all.

The only good thing is that apparently there is no more recession !!!

When the second biggest news story is a tabloid piece about an affair the wife of the north's first minister had we are back in the black !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Calina wrote: »
    wertyl, it's precisely because we don't get it regularly that we're in less of a position to sort it out quickly. I used to live in Germany where winter tyres were mandatory fitted in October. We don't generally need it here so it's not required. We don't need 10 snow ploughs for Dublin. Let's face it, two key years are being discussed here, 1982 and 1947. Is there really any point in being ready for a weather event that occurs roughly every 35 years every year?

This is adverse weather by Irish standards. In Ireland. It's not so uncommon in parts of Germany or parts of America. Do you seriously think coastal California would be able to cope with unusual weather?

I agree, just look at the picture of O'Connell bridge, when have you seen that covered in snow for a few days in your lifetime, not many, it is unprecedented but surely we should have enough salt to grit the roads! Thats not asking alot.

http://www.camvista.com/ireland/dublin/oconnell_bridge.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

And where do you come from may I ask?

Ireland is not used to these conditions hence the 'chaos'. Your home country is used to it, hence it doesn't shut down. I am presuming that you are new to Ireland because you would know that this is not 'Just winter'. Irish winters are like our summers - wet, windy and mild. Not sub zero temps and snow/ice for 3-4 weeks solid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Congratulations to where you're from. Here, though, it's different. It makes no sense the govt to spend 50m or 100m on snow ploughs and maintains them every year for the *possibility* that we might get snow. It also makes no sense for me to spend hundreds of euro on snow tyres that I'll have to get changed on and off every year because of the *possibility* that we might get snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 kazzpop

the sun is out here in clonee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭manonmir

would anyone hazard a guess on the chances of more streamers like just hit dublin happening again today, or is it likely to be clear for the rest of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Dubs_Fan

Its beltin down in Ashbourne now..............

To WC, SA, Wolf and others I must thank you !!

I just had the pleasure of dazzling a lovely young lady with knowledge of the weather picked up on the forum !

She did have to go quite quickly after I started rambling but she must have had a meeting or something, yeah thats it ! Defo in there !!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Is it actually still too early to call whether we'll get a huge amount of snow or is it a dead cert at this stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Freezing cold but sunny this morning after yesterdays all day fog. Everything coated in white.

Snow that fell Sunday/ Monday still lying, it wasn't much, but I do not remember snow lying for this long - ever. Last time was 1982 - and that was gone in three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Snowing heavily here, nothing on the radar :confused:

• Advertisement

I don't know about anyone else here but I'd LOVE to see you drive a rear wheel drive car with the standard wheels around on some of the ice out there. It's not driving skill. It's physics.

On another note, if you're so unhappy with the typical Irish bla bla bla, then why are you here? Go back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

leahyl wrote: »
    Is it actually still too early to call whether we'll get a huge amount of snow or is it a dead cert at this stage?

It's looking increasingly likely. But there is always a chance that it could turn to sleet/rain or not deliver as much precip as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

Starting to heat up here, its now -5 outside!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Snowing heavily here, nothing on the radar :confused:
    were is here?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It's looking increasingly likely. But there is always a chance that it could turn to sleet/rain or not deliver as much precip as expected.

Ok i'm happy with that:)!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Nothing is a dead cert here.

were is here?

Em... Lucan ?!

manonmir wrote: »
    would anyone hazard a guess on the chances of more streamers like just hit dublin happening again today, or is it likely to be clear for the rest of it?

Would love to know this too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

not a dead cert leahyl. Too early to call exact amounts and where the snow will fall. It has the potential still to be piddling rain in coastal areas with snow about 30 miles inland in south and east. It also has the potential to provide significant snowfall to the southern half of the country, including coastal areas.

Don't pin your hopes on either scenario yet. Although, Met Eireann are nailing their colours to the post with their look ahead - ' Significant accumulations will occur and drifting is possible due to strong easterly winds.' It's a pity they forgot to say where, and that is the question.

Look at this http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?ech=0&code=0&mode=2&runpara=0

Click on precipitations. It is extremely uncertain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MollyZ

The tiniest amount of snow you can imagine is falling out of the sky in celbridge. Wasn't expecting it :). Not sure if it's going to just disappear or get stronger. Very cloudy here now, and very, very cold.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement