Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Would love to know this too...

Not in the immediate future (next couple of hours). Irish Sea pretty clear of cloud, never mind showers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

I don't know about anyone else here but I'd LOVE to see you drive a rear wheel drive car with the standard wheels around on some of the ice out there. It's not driving skill. It's physics.

On another note, if you're so unhappy with the typical Irish bla bla bla, then why are you here? Go back home.

'Tis people like him that stale our jobs and our wimen!!!!!! Ahem..:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

leahyl wrote: »
    Ok i'm happy with that:)!

glad to see you got a bit of snow - if only a sprinkle like myself. have a bad feeling this sunday/monday won't materialise! its all going too well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭positron

I am from the tropics and I love snow! The more the merrier! Get snow chains on your tires and for your boots, walk carefully, and look after our old and frail. Be careful and just enjoy the snow! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

MollyZ wrote: »
    The tiniest amount of snow you can imagine is falling out of the sky in celbridge. Wasn't expecting it :). Not sure if it's going to just disappear or get stronger. Very cloudy here now, and very, very cold.

heavier stuff is on the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Lovely snow shower in Lucan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Rather than rising, as per the time of day, temp is starting to fall again. -5.8c. Freezing fog galore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

glad to see you got a bit of snow - if only a sprinkle like myself. have a bad feeling this sunday/monday won't materialise! its all going too well :)

*blocks her ears* can't hear you lalalalalala:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Heaving Snow in Celbridge . Lovin it

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

aye
    the whole country will have a foot of snow - apart from Clare :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Latest GFS output this morning is showing -4c daytime temps in parts next Friday with snow falling somewhere in Ireland every day from tomorrow onwards.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm amazed we even got that shower with pressure of 1027hpa, its really unusual this weather to say the least!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MollyZ

heavier stuff is on the way

Thanks. It's just arrived!! Absolutely beautiful here now, the snow is quite heavy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I was just chatting to my Mum there

Apparently my Dad has always had a nose for snow.

In 82 he decided not to go into work cause he reckoned it would snow heavily and it did

Last Feb the same thing and also on Wednesday he stayed home.

The good news is he is home today and not going back to work until the end of next week !!!

/end of straw cluthing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

aye
    the whole country will have a foot of snow - apart from Clare :rolleyes:

And I wager Galway too. Don't worry Clare, we will stand beside you as always!
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    not a dead cert leahyl. Too early to call exact amounts and where the snow will fall. It has the potential still to be piddling rain in coastal areas with snow about 30 miles inland in south and east. It also has the potential to provide significant snowfall to the southern half of the country, including coastal areas.

Don't pin your hopes on either scenario yet. Although, Met Eireann are nailing their colours to the post with their look ahead - ' Significant accumulations will occur and drifting is possible due to strong easterly winds.' It's a pity they forgot to say where, and that is the question.

Look at this http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?ech=0&code=0&mode=2&runpara=0

Click on precipitations. It is extremely uncertain.

uncertain?! there is loads of green precipitation over ireland in 2-3 days on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Supercell wrote: »
    I'm amazed we even got that shower with pressure of 1027hpa, its really unusual this weather to say the least!

Yeah models didn't pick it up at all...if its snowing against the odds like that now then God knows what we are in far come the weekend and early days of next week. :p

t|nt|n wrote: »

In 82 he decided not to go into work cause he reckoned it would snow heavily and it did

The good news is he is home today and not going back to work until the end of next week !!!

/end of straw cluthing

Is your dad the Donegal postman?? Oh no wait sure he's never right:D!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

t|nt|n wrote: »

/end of straw cluthing

He's not a Postman by any chance?

EDIT: Damn beaten to it lol

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

snow shower here:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Loving this snow shower, it is very pretty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

And I wager Galway too. Don't worry Clare, we will stand beside you as always!
    :pac:

perhaps we should start posting on a "who's got NO snow and is hacked off about it" thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Heavy snow in Glasnevin near cemetery. I'm in a industrial estate & none of the old snow has melted so this is going to be interesting as all the new snow will stick. Probably be let home early again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

I don't know about anyone else here but I'd LOVE to see you drive a rear wheel drive car with the standard wheels around on some of the ice out there. It's not driving skill. It's physics.

On another note, if you're so unhappy with the typical Irish bla bla bla, then why are you here? Go back home.

Driving a rear wheel drive BMW with Bridgestone Potenza's (Summer tyres) on it and having no problem. I'll be happy to head out and let you have a look... Shall we say Knockmaroon Hill?

Unfortunately I can't get winter tyres for the car.

doccy wrote: »

LOL everyones after catching onto that at this stage!:)

leahyl wrote: »
    Is your dad the Donegal postman?? Oh no wait sure he's never right:D!
    doccy wrote: »

LOL ! No he ain't !! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Just had a fairly heavy snow shower in Maynooth, lasted for about 10 minutes. Completely unexpected!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

6z GFS is a nightmare for forecasters and potentially Ireland.

There is alot of precipitation, temperatures of around 1c through increasing on Saturday, through Sunday, Monday, there would be potential for large falls of snow across much of the East/South/Midlands and potential big accumulations.

Well, this is utterly brilliant indeed.
    Massive snow event!
    gfs-2-78.png?6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

A balmy -5 in Dublin West at the moment!!!! Thiick ice and snow everywhere since New Year's Eve:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Winger_PL wrote: »
    Just had a fairly heavy snow shower in Maynooth, lasted for about 10 minutes. Completely unexpected!

Thats good, means it will hit my beloved Naas, 11.4 kms away according to the train !!

No thaw out where I am at all, all the snow still stuck and frozen to trees and bushes, really is amazing !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement