Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

In other news I just had a brekkie of sausages and rashers, beans on buttered toast washed down with Kenco really smooth coffee. Truly breakfast of the snow gods :)

Now out for a walk in the brilliant sunshine on the freshly laid powder snow, its doesn't get much better than this :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

Matt SimisView Public ProfileSend a private message to Matt SimisFind More Posts by Matt SimisAdd Matt Simis to Your ContactsAdd Matt Simis to Ignore List
    post_old.gif 05-02-2009, 13:40 #3 andrewh5
    blue_star_3.gif

Adverts | Friends

Snow chains are legal here but should only be used on snow more than an inch or two deep. They will damage roads if the snow isn't deep enough and should be taken off as soon as you reach less snow or clear roads.

TBH your friend would be far better off learning to drive on the kind of snow we get here which isn't really deep enough to warrant the use of chains and occurs about every third tuesday in lent.
    user_offline.gifreport.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

WolfeIRE wrote: »

Pretty much all models are lining up to our Sunday/Monday snow event.
    Mind you, I linked NOGAPS yesterday afternoon - by that time it was the only model giving this. Not bad I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

ffarrell wrote: »
    I will have to bring down some snow to Cork...a few wheelbarrows maybe...at least you can walk around and drive around there whilst we have been cripple for nearly two weeks here in Dublin and Wicklow etc.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

But the thing is we are aren't able to drive and walk on footpaths either! Cork is so hilly and moist that its a winter wonderland here on all footpaths and hills. My estate (in suburbs) is so hilly we couldn't get out from Christmas Eve to Stephen's day and this morning I barely made it up the hill (8th day of present freeze / refreeze cycle). Snow or not, I suspect I'll be stuck this weekend as the refreeze is getting worse everyday. We've the worst of both worlds - no snow (for 5+ years) but can't get on with life either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Supercell wrote: »
    In other news I just had a brekkie of sausages and rashers, beans on buttered toast washed down with Kenco really smooth coffee. Truly breakfast of the snow gods :)

Now out for a walk in the brilliant sunshine on the freshly laid powder snow, its doesn't get much better than this :)
    Jammy git.

Let us know if you come across these lads
    The+Beatles+Snow+Picnic.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

brownswiss wrote: »
    Matt SimisView Public ProfileSend a private message to Matt SimisFind More Posts by Matt SimisAdd Matt Simis to Your ContactsAdd Matt Simis to Ignore List
    post_old.gif 05-02-2009, 13:40 #3 andrewh5

blue_star_3.gif

Adverts | Friends

Snow chains are legal here but should only be used on snow more than an inch or two deep. They will damage roads if the snow isn't deep enough and should be taken off as soon as you reach less snow or clear roads.

TBH your friend would be far better off learning to drive on the kind of snow we get here which isn't really deep enough to warrant the use of chains and occurs about every third tuesday in lent.

user_offline.gifreport.gif

I reposted the above to see if people still feel the same about "learning to drive on our icy roads " rather than the sensible precaution of using snow chains

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

bryaner wrote: »
    Nice shower in Navan mu ha ha ha

typical,snow in dunshaughlin,navan and maynooth im in the middle and loverly sunny clear sky :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I would say he is complaining that you are putting the quote under you reply like this
    Graces7 wrote: »
    Gee; what a rude post...

Totally unnecessary. And very revealing

All quotations are very accurate indeed ,,,,

All because I disagree with you?

Well TOUGH...

NB You need to learn how to spell also;)

Where most people put there reply under the quote like this. He must have gotton out of the wrong side of the bed.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

I don't want much more snow this weekend as I am starting to get fed up of it...by the way another snow shower heading into the East coast as I type. I want to set up a campaign to bring some snow down to Cork.... I am going to make a request to Dublin City Council this morning...it should be there my morning if they can mobilise enough trucks..starting to snow again here again :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Soliders are being unloaded from vehicles in Celbridge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 wertyl

I don't know about anyone else here but I'd LOVE to see you drive a rear wheel drive car with the standard wheels around on some of the ice out there. It's not driving skill. It's physics.

On another note, if you're so unhappy with the typical Irish bla bla bla, then why are you here? Go back home.

I knew that my post why spark of a few negative responses. Really primitive to tell people to go back home.

Yes, now that you mention it "Entrepreneur", I would go back home, because I think Ireland is a negative ****hole these days, and run by morons, but I happen to have family here, and they are Irish. Also, I run a succesful business here, so leaving is not really an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Sh1t . What did we do ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

are they arming up with snow balls

Serious.

Also why are they removing the snow?? Now there is nothing but ice on the paths.

Maybe they will salt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Thats service, bringing the oldest profession directly to the truck ! :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Look at some of these late morning temps here?

101506.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 wertyl

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    'Tis people like him that stale our jobs and our wimen!!!!!! Ahem..:o

I am a girl actually :-) And I don't steal anything, in fact I create business and bring money into this broke country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

:D:D

ABOUT BLEEDING TIME THEY BROUGHT IN THE ARMY!

wertyl wrote: »
    I am a girl actually :-) And I don't steal anything, in fact I create business and bring money into this broke country.

hi! :D asl?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

Again, just in case anyone missed it, Met Eireann are not sitting the the fence, they are calling this one and calling it early, and the wording indicates high confidence :

"Significant accumulations will occur and drifting is possible due to strong easterly winds."

-http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

Notice that they say significant accumulations will occur, rather than could or may. Met Eireann are usually quite conservative so that speaks for itself.

Ya but they were very confident about the Polar Low or the Western Front giving 6cm's yesterday too and we didnt see a flake of snow yesterday. Was -8 in Ballina (Mayo) at 8am this morning and now its -4.6, sun out and a clear blue sky, its days like this that its great to be alive to see nature at its very best...Great for the mind and soul!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

On another note, if you're so unhappy with the typical Irish bla bla bla, then why are you here? Go back home.

Not very helpful at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

hi! :D asl?

216.5 feet :p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

Let it go. Nationality and snowball throwing don't mix well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I knew that my post why spark of a few negative responses. Really primitive to tell people to go back home.

Yes, now that you mention it "Entrepreneur", I would go back home, because I think Ireland is a negative ****hole these days, and run by morons, but I happen to have family here, and they are Irish. Also, I run a succesful business here, so leaving is not really an option.

You are not endearing yourself here.

1) I lived in lots of foreign countries before I settled back here 10 years ago. I never once called anyone my host country "primitive" just because they told me something I didn't like.

2) Ireland has lots of problems. Extreme cold in the winter on an annual basis is not one of them. If you are as bright as you think you are, you would understand that this is extreme by our standards and therefore we are unlikely to be fully prepared for it. You have not addressed this point.

3) If you don't like it here you can either constructively work to improve things which is what most of my generation did or you can continue to wallow in your pool of dislike and negativity.

4) Leaving is always an option. Having a family and an business are not an excuse to feel trapped. The one doing the trapping is yourself. End of. If I really wanted to go, I'd look at making it possible, not moping about how external events make it not possible.

Sun is shining here at the moment (north county Dublin). I see a radar chart suggesting some cloud on the way in. Anyone know if this is likely to dump some more snow on the M1?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

Serious.

Also why are they removing the snow?? Now there is nothing but ice on the paths.

Maybe they will salt it.

removing the snow?! thats wonderful leave the ice behind and make the paths even more dangerous.jayses the snow is the only thing keeping people from slipping and falling and they want to remove it to make it...safer?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

You were still pretty rude... where you from? (I can ask as I'm not Irish either :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

vizualpics wrote: »
    Ya but they were very confident about the Polar Low or the Western Front giving 6cm's yesterday too and we didnt see a flake of snow yesterday. Was -8 in Ballina (Mayo) at 8am this morning and now its -4.6, sun out and a clear blue sky, its days like this that its great to be alive to see nature at its very best...Great for the mind and soul!

They were not confident about the Polar Low coming inland at all. They just said there was a risk that it might, and the models were not showing that happening anyway.

This is different, the models are showing a widespread snow event lasting days and Met Eireann are not talking about a risk, they are saything that there will be significant accumulations.

Different ball game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Seriously though, I'm in Celbridge.... are they really calling in the army here already? roads are bad but didnt think that they were *that* bad.

maybe it's just for the banks or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭DonnieBrasco

google search on wexford and waterford temperature is showing as -10C ...cant be right can it ???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement