Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

Soliders are being unloaded from vehicles in Celbridge
    Forklift or grab! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Ive put warm water out twice now this morning. Its frozen both times! The birds are now eating the left overs of my fry, I deliberately cooked too much so i could give them a treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

google search on wexford and waterford temperature is showing as -10C ...cant be right can it ???

Around -2 in Waterford City now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

wertyl wrote: »
    I am a girl actually :-) And I don't steal anything, in fact I create business and bring money into this broke country.

hehe you really love this place!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

jambofc wrote: »
    typical,snow in dunshaughlin,navan and maynooth im in the middle and loverly sunny clear sky :(

dont worry im in Navan too and its very sunny here, that was just a tiny cloud passing to my NW id say it only gave a few flakes and hit only bout 20% of the town if even;)

• Advertisement

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

"There are no warnings currently in effect"

Expect a new weather warning soon...it's getting updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

snaps wrote: »
    Ive put warm water out twice now this morning. Its frozen both times! The birds are now eating the left overs of my fry, I deliberately cooked too much so i could give them a treat!

mmmmmmmm I wish I had feathers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

hehe you really love this place!

Look at her old posts. Pattern forming. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Elmo5 wrote: »
    Seriously though, I'm in Celbridge.... are they really calling in the army here already? roads are bad but didnt think that they were *that* bad.

maybe it's just for the banks or something?

Down near Castletown gate. They are working on the pathways. But a good few more got out of the truck. So maybe they are in spar getting a roll. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 wertyl

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    And where do you come from may I ask?

Ireland is not used to these conditions hence the 'chaos'. Your home country is used to it, hence it doesn't shut down. I am presuming that you are new to Ireland because you would know that this is not 'Just winter'. Irish winters are like our summers - wet, windy and mild. Not sub zero temps and snow/ice for 3-4 weeks solid.

I am here 10 years, so I know what winter months are like here "normally", and I hate them. The point is that Ireland does not normally have proper winters like the rest of Northern Europe. However, a prolonged cold spell is still a possibility here, and I really think it would be wise to store enough grit for a full winter just in case it is needed. I don't think salt has an expiry date, so what is the harm in having it.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Just been out walking and looking back out over the Irish Sea, there is not much clouds to speak of and the sun is melting snow in Greystones. Could be a bit of a thaw on!

Here we go...

Weather Warning

Issued at 08 January 2010 - 11:18
    Weather Warning

Bitterly cold, icy conditions countrywide over the weekend with freezing fog lingering in places today and becoming widespread again tonight.

Some hail and snow showers expected in eastern counties on Saturday, with a more prolonged spell of snow during the morning with falls of 2 to 5cm likely. The rest of the country will probably escape with just scattered snow showers.

Another spell of snow will affect mainly Leinster and Munster during Sunday and Monday with falls of 5 to 10 cm expected ( highest in eastern and southeastern counties). Strong easterly winds will lead to drifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

bryaner wrote: »
    Nice shower in Navan mu ha ha ha

Bugger. I'll never get home at this rate of knots. Is it heavy snow ? What are the roads like ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

brownswiss wrote: »

I reposted the above to see if people still feel the same about "learning to drive on our icy roads " rather than the sensible precaution of using snow chains

No where in the drive from Tallaght to Dublin city have I seen consistant conditions, that would allow me to use snow chains, without damaging parts of roads.

All we need is people to slow down, stop thinking that accelerating (while spinning wheels) will work, use your clutch to get the car moving and be less agressive on the road, for the vast majority of issues

wertyl wrote: »
    I don't think salt has an expiry date, so what is the harm in having it.
    I can not argue with that. Forward planning is not our strongest trait :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

for the first time since 1987 the inside of one of our windows has turned to ice with frozen cobwebs on the outside.

Yesterday was also the coldest day I can remember since 1991 at least.

Hopefully more snow showers will form today on the Irish sea, wind direction is now much better for bringing snow to Meath:)

watched Sky news a moment ago and they showed a band of cloud with possible snow heading its way to the east coast tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

WolfeIRE wrote: »

Down here in Kerry the Council have been dumping loads of salt at various locations around the county so people can help themselves and spread it around as needed.

Seems to me the council must have aload of it if they are offering it around

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Here we go...

Weather Warning

Issued at 08 January 2010 - 11:18
    Weather Warning

Bitterly cold, icy conditions countrywide over the weekend with freezing fog lingering in places today and becoming widespread again tonight.

Some hail and snow showers expected in eastern counties on Saturday, with a more prolonged spell of snow during the morning with falls of 2 to 5cm likely. The rest of the country will probably escape with just scattered snow showers.

Another spell of snow will affect mainly Leinster and Munster during Sunday and Monday with falls of 5 to 10 cm expected ( highest in eastern and southeastern counties). Strong easterly winds will lead to drifting.

Thats about as extreme as the Met go with their warnings.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I am amazed how confident they are???

Maybe the fence is covered in snow and they just can't get up on it?

• Advertisement

Met Eireann predicting up to 2 inches of snow the east on Saturday followed by up to 4 inches of snow in the east and southeast over the next 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Gonzo wrote: »
    Hopefully more snow showers will form today on the Irish sea, wind direction is now much better for bringing snow to Meath:)

You people are all sick in the head. This is a crisis, not a celebration

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I am amazed how confident they are???

Never seen them as confident. Could be looking at something very special indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Morning all, had a light snow shower here this morning, really nothing much, but it just shows the snow is still around!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Ally Dick wrote: »
    You people are all sick in the head.

:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

It was reported the other day that donegal was out of grit yet they were on TV last night showing that they had enough supply and were giving it out to locals so they could help grit minor roads that they cannot cover with their gritters.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

It's a celebration. I have been listening to people telling me about 1982. Now I am hoping it repeats by Monday.

PS: Im young:P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Why, because your earnings from back-street promiscuity are affected?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Down near Castletown gate. They are working on the pathways. But a good few more got out of the truck. So maybe they are in spar getting a roll. :)

Wow, that's mad!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement