Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I don't understand how councils were running out of grit. There were numerous quarries/concrete companies ringing up Liveline yesterday to say they had plenty of grit to offer to the councils...one quarry in Oldcastle was even giving the grit away for free if the local councils could collect it themselves. So what's the problem? :confused:

Because there is probably some stupid agreement with an English firm that they would exclusively supply all the grit/salt to our councils.

Wouldn't surprise me. Twats. Sending the money outside of the country when businesses here could provide it (and keep the money in OUR economy).

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Suddenly I'm the guy reminding people that there's a difernce majour between grit and salt.

Plus, if your council went to some third party and paid through the nose for dirt you'd all be calling for their blood in July.

We need salt and patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Ha haa! The Donegal Postman is making an appearance on The Late Late Show tonight lol:D Cool!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

eastie wrote: »
    WTF?? How can it end up as rain if its below zero when its raining??

Fecken Dublin gets everything
    because the air in the uppers (1200 metres up) do not favour snow. It may be -3c at ground level but +1 higher up where the snow forms. Remember xmas day - -3c but freezing rain everywhere? Rain froze on ground when it landed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 wertyl

Calina wrote: »
    You are not endearing yourself here.

1) I lived in lots of foreign countries before I settled back here 10 years ago. I never once called anyone my host country "primitive" just because they told me something I didn't like.

2) Ireland has lots of problems. Extreme cold in the winter on an annual basis is not one of them. If you are as bright as you think you are, you would understand that this is extreme by our standards and therefore we are unlikely to be fully prepared for it. You have not addressed this point.

3) If you don't like it here you can either constructively work to improve things which is what most of my generation did or you can continue to wallow in your pool of dislike and negativity.

4) Leaving is always an option. Having a family and an business are not an excuse to feel trapped. The one doing the trapping is yourself. End of. If I really wanted to go, I'd look at making it possible, not moping about how external events make it not possible.

Sun is shining here at the moment (north county Dublin). I see a radar chart suggesting some cloud on the way in. Anyone know if this is likely to dump some more snow on the M1?

Calina, I think you read a little too much into my post and person here. I am sorry for your wasted effort, but that post was actually a mistake, which you of course could not have known. I had not finished writing it and somehow managed to press Enter, so it got submitted, and then it would not let me submit it the finished post again. I do not spend a lot of time on Boards, because whenever I write something, people get angry, and aggressive over very little.

• Advertisement

MilanPan!c wrote: »

not enough traction in patients:p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Because temps are forecast to rise to about 3c along the east coast late on Sunday, it can snow when temps are 2c but abot 3c it usually is rain/sleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

We didn't think that last week!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Suddenly I'm the guy reminding people that there's a difernce majour between grit and salt.

Plus, if your council went to some third party and paid through the nose for dirt you'd all be calling for their blood in July.

So does grit do nothing if spread on its own? Does it have to be mixed with salt?

I don't understand how councils were running out of grit. There were numerous quarries/concrete companies ringing up Liveline yesterday to say they had plenty of grit to offer to the councils...one quarry in Oldcastle was even giving the grit away for free if the local councils could collect it themselves. So what's the problem? :confused:

Yup, I am asking the same question. I guess, it is because it is not the correct type of grit, so they would rather use nothing at all and have people falling breaking their legs or??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Ludo wrote: »
    Yep...it is freezing fog all over the roads and trees in parts of cork city...not snow. I was out in it at 6.30 this morning and you could see the ice particles in the fog falling to the ground.

thank you kindly

So does grit do nothing if spread on its own? Does it have to be mixed with salt?
    grit provides traction for vehicles and pedestrians but it does not melt the ice/snow like salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Thanks Maq - Just saw a txt onmy phone @ 8:50 from sis in Greystones - Are you getting this blizzard?? Cant belivev I missed it ..... any more on the way ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Salt melts the ice; grit provides traction in snow. I think. :confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Because temps are forecast to rise to about 3c along the east coast late on Sunday, it can snow when temps are 2c but abot 3c it usually is rain/sleet.

It will all be about dew points! Usually if it sleets or snows at 2, 3 or 4c (with a low dew point) then the precipitation itself will bring down temperatures to sustain the snow.

I think I have seen snow/sleet fall here at 6c (obviously with a low dew point).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

wertyl wrote: »
    I do not spend a lot of time on Boards, because whenever I write something, people get angry, and aggressive over very little.
    And that never made you think that the problem might be with YOU?
    Your posts are rude indeed. If you don't see that, it could be just a language issue. Now I'm really curious where you are from, as I know people from some countries regularly have this problem, because of specific language circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Another spell of snow will affect mainly Leinster and Munster during Sunday and Monday with falls of 5 to 10 cm expected ( highest in eastern and southeastern counties). Strong easterly winds will lead to drifting.

Stick that up your Waterford Raincloud lads!! :p:D I will get a photo of snow in Waterford.. I WILL!!

jenzz wrote: »
    Thanks Maq - Just saw a txt onmy phone @ 8:50 from sis in Greystones - Are you getting this blizzard?? Cant belivev I missed it ..... any more on the way ?

Not at the moment, Irish Sea looks quiet now. Not much expected now till early tomorrow. Might be a few odd showers before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

That sun could wipe away a weeks good work:mad:

We can only hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

That sun could wipe away a weeks good work:mad:
    If the air temperature is below freezing, which it is, then the sun will have no effect whatsoever. The Big One in 1982 was followed by a week of glorious dazzling sunshine but daytime temps were well below freezing so there was no thaw until the Atlantic influence returned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

google search on wexford and waterford temperature is showing as -10C ...cant be right can it ???

No this cant be right, but its very cold this morning, can anyone tell me what the temps are in wexford town now???

Trotter wrote: »
    Stick that up your Waterford Raincloud lads!! :p:D I will get a photo of snow in Waterford.. I WILL!!

Yep, could see a few inches before it might turn to sleet/rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Met Eireann predicting up to 2 inches of snow the east on Saturday followed by up to 4 inches of snow in the east and southeast over the next 2 days.

Plus the 6 we already had, plus the 1 " that fell this morning. Thats like 13" of snow in sunny seaside Bray lol :D:D:D:D

DOCARCH wrote: »
    It will all be about dew points! Usually if it sleets or snows at 2, 3 or 4c (with a low dew point) then the precipitation itself will bring down temperatures to sustain the snow.

I think I have seen snow/sleet fall here at 6c (obviously with a low dew point).

Dew points look to be borderline 0/1c till late Monday on the south coast when they start to rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    grit provides traction for vehicles and pedestrians but it does not melt the ice/snow like salt.

Well I don't know about salt but the government/councils are saying that the grit supply is dangerously low, yet it is being offered for sale/for free from various quarries around the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

is this snow definite for sunday and monday??? cause i'm sick of accuweather and it's false predictions, it said it was going to be snowing in cork yesterday:mad:

jenzz wrote: »
    Plus the 6 we already had, plus the 1 " that fell this morning. Thats like 13" of snow in sunny seaside Bray lol :D:D:D:D

You got 6 inches of snow already? That was back when Met Eireann were forecasting just 2 inches. So by that calculation you can expect up to 18 more inches by Monday. :D:D ;)

(Joking...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

no hot water coming out of any taps, cold water only coming out of kitchen sink just now. heating is on ok though.

how can i get this sorted, what do i have to do??

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    is this snow definite for sunday and monday???

Met Eireann seem certain.

• Advertisement

And that never made you think that the problem might be with YOU?
    Your posts are rude indeed. If you don't see that, it could be just a language issue. Now I'm really curious where you are from, as I know people from some countries regularly have this problem, because of specific language circumstances.

Now, give me an example of being rude. I only responded to someone who told me to "go back home", which I found rude and "primitive". No, the problem is not me, but that people feel safe behind their screen. I sort of doubt the person would tell me to my face to "go back home".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement