Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

11.52am The Defence Forces has deployed Army assets to assist the Civil Authorities during the severe weather conditions:
    Newbridge: 10 x Personnel, 1 6x6 Truck
    Maynooth: 10 x Personnel, 1 6x6 Truck
    Clane: 10 x Personnel, 1 6x6 Truck
    Enniscorthy: Assisting District Nurse reaching isolated patients.
    Galway: Assisting Palliative Care Nurse reaching isolated patients

nice to see the east coast is looked after. EDIT...Oh Galway is there:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

poindexter wrote: »
    no hot water coming out of any taps, cold water only coming out of kitchen sink just now. heating is on ok though.

how can i get this sorted, what do i have to do??

Wait for the weather to improve !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Rodar08 wrote: »
    Ha haa! The Donegal Postman is making an appearance on The Late Late Show tonight lol:D Cool!!

lol There is great money to be made in this forecasting lark... all you have to do is get it right for a season or a month...not hard as it's usually 50-50 chance of it transpiring... write a book on your divine knowledge and you're bigger than Jedward! :eek:

That siad I do respect some of the weather lore... especially in the short term... fish do strange things and are influenced by air and sea pressure according to the scientists... so this summer I'm forecasting a warmer and drier than average summer because the Mackerel told me...hoepfully the UK met office will predict a colder / wetter one and it's show me the money! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

wertyl wrote: »
    whenever I write something, people get angry, and aggressive over very little.

Welcome to the Internet !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 wertyl

If you don't even know that you're being rude, then there's nothing left to say. Re-read your posts, they are full of ill-wit and are condescending.

I think you are being rude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Our washing machine is frozen solid :( Going to have to get a lend of an air heater and try get things moving again cause I'll be out of clothes by tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Met Eireann seem certain.

Is there any chance that the snow might push up as far us here in the NW?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

God bless Dublin City Council.

All morning I've seen 4 council guys, 1 with shovel, 2 with brushes, and 1 'supervising'.

Shovel guy has been whacking the ground (just at the end of Duke Lane / South Anne Street), while the other 2 swept the snow.

They must now be on a tea break - they cleared at least 1 square meter so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

rhonin wrote: »

Yes, its possible later on Monday and into Tuesday but it probably wouldn't be as heavy other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

no hot water coming out of any taps, cold water only coming out of kitchen sink just now. heating is on ok though.

boil the kettle !

• Advertisement

Yes, its possible later on Monday and into Tuesday but it probably wouldn't be as heavy other areas.

Fingers crossed so. A light fall would be nice even.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Newstalk is going gaga about the salt shortage.

Check it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

what a send off it would be:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

rhonin wrote: »

Most of the models/forecasts suggest not.Leinster and Munster to fare worst. You might get some more snow showers.

Things look really messy next week from a weather point of view, it could be countrywide snowmageddon or a quick breakdown to mild weather in from the west. I'd side with the mild breakdown by next weekend tbh, but this cold air is so well established, it'll be a divil to get rid of...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

MilanPan!c wrote: »

Check it.

aiight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Now, give me an example of being rude. I only responded to someone who told me to "go back home", which I found rude and "primitive". No, the problem is not me, but that people feel safe behind their screen. I sort of doubt the person would tell me to my face to "go back home".

Internet_argument_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I think you are being rude

I reckon you referring to Ireland as a "****hole" country is probably what got peoples goat up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Rodar08 wrote: »
    Ha haa! The Donegal Postman is making an appearance on The Late Late Show tonight lol:D Cool!!

Is there anyone from Met Eireann going to be on with him?

MilanPan!c wrote: »

Check it.

As long as I have enough for my Friday night chipper visit, we'll be okay ;)

Is there anyone from Met Eireann going to be on with him?

Gerry Murphy will provide the balance for the warm weather lovers....jk. :D

• Advertisement

what a send off it would be:D

Isn't it time you began to be all negative about any snow coming this way in a hope it will come this? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

boil the kettle and wait for the weather to improve :)

is there anything else i could be doing?? the toilets aint flushing and the sink upstairs now seems to be blocked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

As long as I have enough for my Friday night chipper visit, we'll be okay ;)

Yea my curry better be delivered or i will be in a right two and eight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 W23

Salt melts the ice

I did a bit of an experiment last night with salt on the snow/ice on the patio. Each patio slab is about 18" x 18". I put a line (about 1cm wide) of salt down the middle of one slab and rubbed it in a bit. This morning when i checked it the snow/ice was loose and had broken up over the whole slab and into the surrounding slabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Well I don't know about salt but the government/councils are saying that the grit supply is dangerously low, yet it is being offered for sale/for free from various quarries around the country!

Grit is a mixture off sand and salt and sometimes a certain type off rock, the councils are being offered sand, they need rock salt to melt the ice. The sand in grit then gives some grit in the slush that forms, it's pretty useless too just put down a bit off sand as it will provide no noticeable improvement to the roads. If sand was used on the footpaths it would be helpful but not on roads that haven't been treated with salt first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 wertyl

d'Oracle wrote: »
    I reckon you referring to Ireland as a ****hole country is probably what got peoples goat up.

I knew it would, but that was actually posted in error. Was a bit angry because someone told me to "go back home", and then I hit Enter before reading it through. I cannot find the post again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 senorG

Check if the water in your attic is frozen.. the cold tap in kitchen sink is usually straight from the mains

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

-0.5c here now...........f off sun.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Because there is probably some stupid agreement with an English firm that they would exclusively supply all the grit/salt to our councils.

Wouldn't surprise me. Twats. Sending the money outside of the country when businesses here could provide it (and keep the money in OUR economy).

Our salt/grit comes from Spain and through England. They are running short over there so I'd say there is an issue with supply. As far as I know some grit is sourced in Ireland but its about they type of grit that can be used. You can't keep everyone happy, use the wrong type and people go mad about whats getting into the rivers, don't use it and you have the current situation. It never is a straight forward yes or no decision.

As regards sending the money out of the country, nearly all gritters and attachable snow plows are made in Birr, Co.Offaly even most of the ones used in the UK are bought on contract from there. so at least one good thing will comes from this cold snap, an increase in our mechanical exports with any luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Gerry Murphy will provide the balance for the warm weather lovers....jk. :D

gerry called this snow first for met eireann - he is hardly going to backtrack.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement