Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

rhonin wrote: »
    Isn't it time you began to be all negative about any snow coming this way in a hope it will come this? :D

Yes you are right. The midlands snow shield is now activated and will be in force for the next 4 days. I expect nothing and have received virtually nothing. Memorable frosts and freezing fogs certainly, but only about 3 dustings of snow since before Christmas. We are sheltered from every direction here....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭wingknot

wertyl wrote: »
    Now, give me an example of being rude. I only responded to someone who told me to "go back home", which I found rude and "primitive". No, the problem is not me, but that people feel safe behind their screen. I sort of doubt the person would tell me to my face to "go back home".

Is this a weather forum or what, I'm a long time lurker hear and find the forum very informative with posts from all around the country at any time
    of the day,I don't know enough about the science of the weather to post
    but I don't want to readthis crap:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

DOCARCH wrote: »
    -0.5c here now...........f off sun.

While you're talking to the sun could you ask it where it was last August. Thanks :D

Carry on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

poindexter wrote: »
    boil the kettle and wait for the weather to improve :)

is there anything else i could be doing?? the toilets aint flushing and the sink upstairs now seems to be blocked

Are the pipes in your attic insulated? I had to insulate ours and cover the attic tank. They were frozen when we got back from Christmas holiday. Also leave the attic door open to let some warm air up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

gerry called this snow first for met eireann - he is hardly going to backtrack.

Yeah, I had to laugh at one of the posters saying he was getting into a sweat mentioning the snow. I could visualise him loosening the neck tie and gulping like Jean Byrne :P

Anyway on topic, I think this is going to be one of those events where it will only be possible to call it accurately maybe 9-12 hours in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Is there anyone from Met Eireann going to be on with him?
    No Idea! I just read this a while ago on the Donegal forum lol. It's hilarious! We'll all be tuned in no doubt. You never know boards weather might even get a mention too!

Beautiful scenery here, it frooze hard last night alright :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

You got 6 inches of snow already? That was back when Met Eireann were forecasting just 2 inches. So by that calculation you can expect up to 18 more inches by Monday. :D:D ;)

(Joking...)

Yep.... We have had snow since Tuesday night. Started 6.30pm. & kept going on & on & on... & all that fell on 5" ice...... We have never had it so bad here....

Just saw on AA roadwatch Bray, Delgany, Wickloiw in general in a heap again.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

If you have no water coming out of you hot tap but you do have from your cold there is a solution depending on wheather or not you can attach a pipe to your tap. Circulate water through your hot tap via the cold tap. Insert or attach a pipe into you cold tap and insert the other end into your hot tap. Then turn on the cold tap and the circulation of water should remove the blockage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

I knew it would, but that was actually posted in error. Was a bit angry because someone told me to "go back home", and then I hit Enter before reading it through. I cannot find the post again though.

I think maybe you have the germanic/nordic style of straight talking which is why you are getting the reactions you are getting. Irish and British people, for better or worse, tend to be a bit more subtle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

d'Oracle wrote: »
    I reckon you referring to Ireland as a "****hole" country is probably what got peoples goat up.

It is an a***hole country though.

Fair enough comment I thought.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

Maybe its just my pc! Its just that when you quote somebodys post, the quoted bit is always underneath your own post, its the other way round for everyone else! When theres so much to get through, it kind of breaks up the flow having my eyes darting up and down to read what you're responding to.

This is nothing to do with disagreements, I have never communicated with you on this site before.
    Graces7 wrote: »
    Gee; what a rude post...

Totally unnecessary. And very revealing

All quotations are very accurate indeed ,,,,

All because I disagree with you?

Well TOUGH...

NB You need to learn how to spell also;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I knew it would, but that was actually posted in error. Was a bit angry because someone told me to "go back home", and then I hit Enter before reading it through. I cannot find the post again though.

Its probably too late to edit it.
    Well, it seems to me you are remorseful.
    My advice is to ignore future reference about it and concentrate on the weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

doccy wrote: »
    I think maybe you have the germanic/nordic style of straight talking which is why you are getting the reactions you are getting. Irish and British people, for better or worse, tend to be a bit more subtle.

could we get back to talking about the weather please!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

I agree the bickering in between the great weather posting is a bit of an eye sore and very off putting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

annieee wrote: »

I disagree.
    I think its beautiful and facinating.
    The "Run by Morons" I wholly endorse though.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭FuzzyZoeller

101515.jpg

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

annieee wrote: »

Fair enough comment I thought.

;)

NOONE calls our glorious Emerald (well currently white) Isle a sh1thole.

Unless they're Irish... :D

Seems to be clouding over again here in D2. Really effing cold at the mo too. Anyone got a list of current temps?

snaps wrote: »
    Look at some of these late morning temps here?

101506.JPG

incredible. i doubt we'll see such widespread low minima again this winter once the atlantic takes over:(

fintonie wrote: »
    I agree the bickering in between the great weather posting is a bit of an eye sore and very off putting.

Agreed. We could be on the verge of one of the biggest snow events for several parts of the country for a very long time during an historic, long cold spell. The last thing the weather forum needs right now is off topic internet bickering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 wertyl

d'Oracle wrote: »
    I disagree.
    I think its beautiful and facinating.
    The "Run by Morons" I wholly endorse though.

I fully agree with you - nature is beautiful and I love that here. I just think a few things could function better. I cannot vote though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 W23

NRA guy on newstalk saying that supply of salt critically low - getting less than half of what we need. A major snow event on sunday night / monday may lead to issues on major roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

duffman13 wrote: »
    Grit is a mixture off sand and salt and sometimes a certain type off rock, the councils are being offered sand, they need rock salt to melt the ice. The sand in grit then gives some grit in the slush that forms, it's pretty useless too just put down a bit off sand as it will provide no noticeable improvement to the roads. If sand was used on the footpaths it would be helpful but not on roads that haven't been treated with salt first.

I see! Thanks for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Snoddy

I'm very excited, all this will it won't it is driving me potty though, I was even dreaming about the weather forum last night :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

could we get back to talking about the weather please!!

What about when this weather event is over? I for one think we should all keep a massive, lightly moderated, multipage mayhem thread going everyday, regardless of the weather - I've gotten quite fond of it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I fully agree with you - nature is beautiful and I love that here. I just think a few things could function better. I cannot vote though.

Trust me, there's Irish folk that CAN vote and shouldn't be allowed...

Seems the lowest at the mo is -6 in Carlow according to Met.

Why the disagreement between Met and that Map posted?

sorry if this has been answered before, but how much lieing snow do the experts think there will be out of it on low ground? obviously the east and south east will likley see the most accumulations.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snoddy wrote: »
    I'm very excited, all this will it won't it is driving me potty though, I was even dreaming about the weather forum last night :pac:

I know the feeling! In my dream last night I saw a temperature graph that temp had risen above freezing and then feel to -11c quite quickly.

Nuts - I need help. :D

My work has been seriously affected this week by the weather.............I work from home and this blasted website is seriously distracting!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Does anyone know where one would find Satellite images of the country atm, like photo's and such?

Think it would look spectatcular to see the whole country from Space covered in white!

• Advertisement

sorry if this has been answered before, but how much lieing snow do the experts think there will be out of it on low ground? obviously the east and south east will likley see the most accumulations.

Just reading the Met Eireann warning, anything from 2 to 6 inches in the east and south, so probably gradually less as you move west and north.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement