Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

leahyl wrote: »
    Sorry Wolfe just saw your answer there - cheers!:)

I hope you get some snow in Cork...I know it isunusual there but that will make it all the more sensational especially for children. Snow or Sleet for Cork... in my opinion, graupel, hail and snow eventually. - 6 in Dublin as I type this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Slugs wrote: »
    Anyone got a snow plow to bring spread the snow to south cork, east clare, and donegal? :P

Whatever about Clare and Donegal, Id say that plow could end up being more use clearing the snow in Cork instead of trying to bring more of it ;) Cork could well see plenty of snow if things pan out the "right" way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Finally got a yoke for recording outside temps here. Showing an unexpectedly low -6.6 in Terenure (157 feet asl). Accuracy verifying well against the -6 reported at Dublin airport. Casement -8 already:eek:

Had an amazing storm of ice crystals an hour or two ago here, somethng I've never seen before - clouds of tiny ice flecks dancing about in the air like frozen drizzle, and coating surfaces, and feeling like grit being sprinkled on the face. Is that real freezing fog, or the makings of an ice storm ?

Looks like Dublin in for more snow tonight from the Irish Sea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Just had a thought there (doesn't happen too often in this vacant ceann of mine)....If Met Eireann has advised the Department of the Environment thgat the cold spell is set to continue well into next week, is it not reasonable to suggest that they clearly do not think that the cold spell will lose out to warmer air this Sunday and Monday?

thinking.jpg

I agree i mean it's fairly huge when the government are getting involved - they don't very often lets face it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Erm, some local records are bound to be broken tonight...
    Saggart reporting -9.8C, Baltinglass is...-11.4C... And it's only 11pm?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I certainly think that we're going to get the coldest airmass of the winter so far over the weekend, certainly a 100% chance that any precipitation that does fall will fall as snow. The problem I see is I don't see there being much precipitation at all. :(

With the upper tropospheric high becoming established over the weekend, our only chance of snow will be sea-effect snow. The best chance of will be Friday, but thereafter the effects of the upper high become too much to allow for any deep convection. Any sea effect convection along the east and south will be highly surpressed by a strong inversion from 750-700hPa, which will limit cloudtops to 10,000ft at most. This will greatly limit the potential for any snowfalls of note on Saturday and Sunday, though for early Monday there is potential for brief snowfall with the arrival of the Atlantic breakdown.

So in summary I do see some further decent snow showers in eastern and southeastern counties tonight, tomorrow morning and up to tomorrow afternoon, possibly giving a few cms in places, but thereafter I think the most we can expect are some brief light flurries for the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

Something heading for Dublin at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

forget the snow the issue is the general deep freeze my attic window is crusted over with a centimeter of frozen air.. you know the cold that spills out of your freezer? looks nice though, serene almost enchanting like that film The Mist, only frost n snow.
    i threw a brick on the canal it just.. sat there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

sssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh

karina's up giving the ski forecast :D:D

1st stop is Supercells garden :D

Star Bingo wrote: »
    forget the snow the issue is the general deep freeze my attic window is crusted over with a centimeter of frozen air.. you know the cold that spills out of your freezer? looks nice though, serene almost enchanting like that film The Mist, only frost n snow.
    i threw a brick on the canal it just.. sat there.

I just put a loaf of brennans out on the window sill - wondering could i turn freezer off & put everything outside ????

• Advertisement

Slugs wrote: »
    Cobh :P should probably say that, it's ridiculous like, I want some goddamn snow!

Shoot - i'm in the city - we may be in the same boat my friend - stay positive though - you'd never know;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

mad DIY wrote: »
    Finally got a yoke for recording outside temps here. Showing an unexpectedly low -6.6 in Terenure (157 feet asl). Accuracy verifying well against the -6 reported at Dublin airport. Casement -8 already:eek:

Had an amazing storm of ice crystals an hour or two ago here, somethng I've never seen before - clouds of tiny ice flecks dancing about in the air like frozen drizzle, and coating surfaces, and feeling like grit being sprinkled on the face. Is that real freezing fog, or the makings of an ice storm ?

Looks like Dublin in for more snow tonight from the Irish Sea :)

Spot on I'd say. -6.6c here too.

Re the ice crystals - google diamond dust.

Davo D wrote: »
    Something heading for Dublin at the moment?

Yep theres a streamer there alright

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Su Campu wrote: »
    I certainly think that we're going to get the coldest airmass of the winter so far over the weekend, certainly a 100% chance that any precipitation that does fall will fall as snow. The problem I see is I don't see there being much precipitation at all. :(

With the upper tropospheric high becoming established over the weekend, our only chance of snow will be sea-effect snow. The best chance of will be Friday, but thereafter the effects of the upper high become too much to allow for any deep convection. Any sea effect convection along the east and south will be highly surpressed by a strong inversion from 750-700hPa, which will limit cloudtops to 10,000ft at most. This will greatly limit the potential for any snowfalls of note on Saturday and Sunday, though for early Monday there is potential for brief snowfall with the arrival of the Atlantic breakdown.

So in summary I do see some further decent snow showers in eastern and southeastern counties tonight, tomorrow morning and up to tomorrow afternoon, possibly giving a few cms in places, but thereafter I think the most we can expect are some brief light flurries for the weekend

Have you had a look at the breakdown of this cold spell from Monday onwards ?

What types of temps mite one expect after this breakdown ?

So you think we should be expecting a massive downgrade from the MET tomorrow on this Sunday/Monday snowmagedn event ?

Sorry for all the questions

• Registered Users Posts: 17,092 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Bring on more snow i say, survival of the fittest, finally

Or survival of the warmest.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Looks like it's on target for the city centre and maybe southwest of the city?

Smaller blob a little further out that may hit the north of the county?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

At the most I'm hoping for burst pipes in the school, I do not wanna have to go in tomorrow!

Looked like there was plenty of light/moderate precip on the 18Z GFS charts to me and Met Eireann say...."The east to northeasterly airflow will persist on Sunday and Monday, but with those winds increasing. So the snow threat for the whole of the country increases too. There is likely to be further snow over a wide area, but especially the eastern half of the country, some of it heavy, with possibly some drifting in the winds." :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

jenzz wrote: »
    I just put a loaf of brennans out on the window sill - wondering could i turn freezer off & put everything outside ????

no doubt.. - hey why is it at this time the most important things'r deemed to be bread and milk? "d'ya have bread n milk, bread n milk. alright, away with ya soo.. -youre alright then"

erm.. no, i'm nearly out of Rizla Slim actually nan now willya trudge through the snow and get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

Dublin airport currently reporting -7, Casement -8. Galway + 2, Valentia (kerry) + 3.

• Advertisement

Ok everyone i'm gonna hit the hay and dream of a snow covered Cork...:) Night night!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

.....the arrival of the Atlantic breakdown....

na na na na na na .....blocks ears.....na na na na na na

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Temp stalled at -2.3C for a while earlier but falling again now, -2.7C winds WNW for the moment, hopfully can break the station record before they swing E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Spot on I'd say. -6.6c here too.

Re the ice crystals - google diamond dust.

Yes, that seems to be what it was, and its name very well describes what it looks like in the light of a floodlight. Quite spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

DOCARCH wrote: »
    na na na na na na .....blocks ears.....na na na na na na

lol...we can't handle the truth, just tell us what we want to hear...10" and no less please:cool:

lol...we can't handle the truth, just tell us what we want to hear...10" and no less please:cool:

Thats what she s...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Few snow showers look to be heading for the east coast (view the animation on met.ie)

http://met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

For me it looks like lots of Snow on Sunday and into Monday.

Then probably turning to sleet/rain near the east south coasts but remaining as snow inland.

Star Bingo wrote: »
    no doubt.. - hey why is it at this time the most important things'r deemed to be bread and milk? "d'ya have bread n milk, bread n milk. alright, away with ya soo.. -youre alright then"

erm.. no, i'm nearly out of Rizla Slim actually nan now willya trudge through the snow and get

I even bought Odlums brown bread mix... Just in case

Im now saying WTF ... I cant bake bread ..... lol :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Lads/Ladies before I hit the sack I'm gonna ask for a layman's summary here for the south east.

I'm looking at all of the sites and tv forecasts, and it seems Waterford city will get a decent dumping of snow on Sunday/Monday. Are we at that opinion at this point before I go asleep!?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement