Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

incredible. i doubt we'll see such widespread low minima again this winter once the atlantic takes over:(

still -4 here,hasnt risen above freezing since wednesday,the 1.5cm of snow is still on the tree's lampost's etc,no thaw whatsoever :)

on the down side,bird's are eating me out of house and home ;)
    pipe's are starting to freeze and drain's blocking up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Evelyn on Newstalk 106 now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

rhonin wrote: »
    What I did was put warm water from the kettle in the tank (not boiling water) and it takes a few trips up and down to the kitchen!. It was just the top few mm that were frozen on ours. You will need to cover the top of the tank and insulate it once you get it thawed. Is the side of tank insulated?

doing that now, it was quite thick so i just hammered it all down, took as much as i could and threw it down into the toilet. i have put the insulation stuff all round the side of the tank now and some over the top just to cover it. the tank will soon be bone dry though, is filling kettle and pouring that in gonna get water back in as normal??

thank you by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Holy hell in a hand basket i've never seen flakes this size. Almost the size of a Sony Ericsson charger.

Where are you?? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cdev

Evelyn Cusack on Newstalk right now. She says good chance of snow showers from dawn tomorrow onwards on the whole east coast (meath down to wexford). Happy Days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

anyone know where I can find out what the lowest temps recorded in both Shannon and the rest of the country this morning, between midnight and now.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

I just did a Google of Ballytempleroche to see where it is, and the only entry it returns is this thread???

Damn, google is fast! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Can a mod please inform that 'Ballytempleroche' guy to stop? He is extracting the urine

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

anyone know where I can find out what the lowest temps recorded in both Shannon and the rest of the country this morning, between midnight and now.

http://www.irelandsweather.com/ - click on extremes on the main page, has official and amateur sites listed.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 wertyl

Downright rude and condecending toyour host country. I too have lived abroad and would never have dreamed off insulting the people of my host country like you did.

Well aren't you just great. Where should we send the medal?

Well, where I come from does not get this every year and no, we are not used to handling or driving in these conditions.

Apologies if this is bothering you.

Tell that to my 60 year mother who cracked her head on the pavement and spent 12 hours waiting in Blanchardstown A and E with concussion.

In general though, I love the snow but please accept this is Ireland and not your country. You are used to this, we are not.

No need to insult your host country like that.

Well, I think this weather is great and exciting all the same mainly for aesthetic reasons, but not that people fall and crash their cars. Sorry to hear about your grandmohter - my whole point was that management of this weather is a appalling and Ireland should look at other countries, that it is possible to deal with it in a more effective manner, and you must agree with me on that one (since your grandmother fell and got injured). They are just not able for anything it seems to me, very little action, only moaning and complaining - floods were are disgrace as well. I am also sorry that you find that opinion insulting, nevertheless, I live here and pay tax so I am entitled to have it. OK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

wertyl wrote: »
    Well, I think this is great and exciting all the same, not that people fall and crash their cars - sorry to hear about your grandmohter - my whole point was that management of this weather is a appalling, and that it is possible to deal with it in a effective manner, and you must agree with me on that one (since your grandmother fell and got injured). Ireland are just not able for anything it seems - floods were are disgrace as well.

Please Stop... Nobody wants to hear you two bickering

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

Fox1978 wrote: »
    Hey,

Just to say there's no cold water in a lot of our area in Dun Laoghaire. Plumbers think 'the mains' is frozen, not individual taps (though that could happen too). Say there's nothing we can do expect sit back and wait. They also said not to run the hot tap for a long time as it empties the water tank and creates air pockets which are bad apparently.

Also the area lost power this morning at 5:30AM for about 2 hours. Not sure if related to all of this weather stuff.
    what area are you in

Supercell wrote: »
    http://www.irelandsweather.com/ - click on extremes on the main page, has official and amateur sites listed.

I don't see any link to extremes. sorry

Jake1 wrote: »
    On a happeir note ...) its a beautiful white frosty sunny day.

Wolfire, how are your wife and new baby doing ? Hope you all are well.:D
    thanks a lot Jake. All is fine thank you. Wrecked tired to be honest but baby Charlie is fine and healthy. Eating, and sleeping all day and night - very like me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I was just reading an article about how the human body reacts with the cold/snow and the stages of hypothermia.
    It's written putting you in the position of the person in what is essentially a short story.
    I found it very interesting and thought some people on here might want to give it a look.

Can be found, here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 aidan_mc

Well, I think this is great and exciting all the same, not that people fall and crash their cars - sorry to hear about your grandmohter - my whole point was that management of this weather is a appalling, and that it is possible to deal with it in a effective manner, and you must agree with me on that one (since your grandmother fell and got injured). Ireland are just not able for anything it seems - floods were are disgrace as well.

Please stop the bickering this is a weather thread. If you want to complain about the management of the current situation.May I suggest on of the political threads

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

I don't see any link to extremes. sorry

It's a tab on the table below the map.

An amazing 16 c difference between Tullow in Carlow and Glanworth in Cork. They are about 120km apart as the crow flies
    http://www.irelandsweather.com/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

And yet it's good enough for you to be able to live here, have a family here and run a business here.

Please understand that this is how I see things. There are lacunae in how we managed this. In part it's lack of experience in dealing with this sort of weather - in large part. In other part, it's lack of forward planning linked to the lack of necessity to be planning for this sort of weather. We have other day to day priorities that are issues year on year. There are, however, some things we do very well, which is - I imagine - why you came here in the first place. Even you have to admit that experience over years is how you learn to deal with something like this and we don't have it and what's more we are not going to get it because it is unlikely that we'll be having this weather year on year on year. If we do, however, get it like this, I have no doubt that someone will figure out a way of making money out of it.

With respect to the current weather; it's beautiful in a hard kind of a way. This thread is to discuss the weather event itself, not the human and failed response to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

1.10pm 130 pairs of wellies were purchased at BT's Grafton St store yesterday by those bravely navigating the icy footpaths of the capital.

Jaysus, I could think of cheaper places to get them. No recession in this weather obviously...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

eskimocat wrote: »
    Ah Nacho, escape wouldn't be the right word.... cheated perhaps...lol:D sigh still waiting for proper snowman snow.... its like the perfect man, often talked about rarely spotted....lololol:pac:

hehe yes indeed:D

i felt cheated when i heard her use that word:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Still on course according to the weather after the news.

-6 at Shannon was the extreme and -17.7 in Tullow

just discovered that I have zero water.

currently -4 here at the moment.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Resources != compotence.

Boston spent it's allocated budget during the first big storm every winter. They never learned.

But even though it sent them into debt they still had the plows.

So in essence their incompotent managent didn't screw up their ability to clear the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

This thread is getting out of control. It is for discussing the current Severe Wintry Outbreak that has gripped the country for some time, not for individual bickering matches that are not even wholly relevant to the weather or what lies ahead.

Now, regarding the outlook. The latest HIRLAM update models the potential snowfall risk for Eastern areas tomorrow, it shouldn't be exceptionally heavy, but could be rather persistent:

prec_nordeuro-21.gif

By 12.00 Hours on Sunday, it models snowfall becoming more persistent and widespread in Southeastern & Eastern areas:

prec_nordeuro-49.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Folks -

This is the weather forum. That means, in here, we discuss the weather. It's understandable that the implications of the weather systems we are experiencing will be discussed as well, but in brief asides only please - no more of this constant back and forth about "my country" and "host countries" please.

If you see a post that you have a problem with, report it. That way, all the mods are notified. This is a very busy time for the weather forum and sometimes we miss things. Please do not comment on thread, this is regarded as off-topic posting, and pointing out the "crimes" of others is no defense.

So, you can either stop the bickering yourselves, or it can be stopped for you. Either way, it will be stopped :)

Stay warm, but stay chilled!

cheers,
    tbh
    Sci CMod.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Every one's losing water it seems.
    Off to check the taps and maybe fill a bucket with snow and light the fire.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    thanks a lot Jake. All is fine thank you. Wrecked tired to be honest but baby Charlie is fine and healthy. Eating, and sleeping all day and night - very like me:)

Delighted to hear it. What a wonderful white welcome to the world he got. Babys bring such joy.:)

hes the official Boards baby now :)

Enjoy the weather too .Thanks for your posts.

HIRLAM (animated for next few days)

http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm
    click on Nedbør

Please note that this same chart showed precip in the western third of the country yesterday so it should not be regarded as fulproof

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Stocked up on ale for the weekend, great success! :D got a warning from boards.ie for calling some users on another forum "tits" i will stick to this forum much more fun good craic on here, so anyhow...:) snow for the west the weekend not looking good or just less?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement