Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

paddybar wrote: »
    is there a bitching and bickering forum here where we could send those two?
    It's a bit rich of a lot of posters on here to complaining about all the "bickering".

Firstly, rather than share an equally unproductive comment with the forum, why not add that user to the ignore list? It's up to the mods to decide what's fair enough to post on a thread.

Secondly, it's all fine and dandy to be unhappy with an argument taking place within a thread, but who here would simply ignore insulting remarks being thrown at you on a thread? Remarks were made and were responded to, and stuff was taken back. Do people want a handwritten apology for it, and gift vouchers for everyone in the audience to make up for it?!

Every thread is going to have disagreements once in a while, it's an inevitability.

Edit: As tbh said, if the mods see an issue, they can deal with it. Moral indignation won't do anything. The Report button is there for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Looks like sunday I get the snow I wanted.... OOO RAHHHHH! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

Some amazing temperatures around the country right now. Feels very strange seeing these temperatures at this time of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    HIRLAM (animated for next few days)

http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm
    click on Nedbør

Please note that this same chart showed precip in the western third of the country yesterday so it should not be regarded as fulproof

Hi WolfeIRE,

From what I saw on all of the HIRLAM updates at T+24, it never modelled inland penetration of precipitation from the shallow low feature - that's really why I was so pessimistic about the potential event & couldn't work out where Met Eireann were getting the accumulations prediction for - it was more of a risk than certainty really.

However, you are 100% right in that no NWP model, no matter how accurate, is foolproof. It is however good to see Hirlam in agreement with Met Eireann forecasting guidance out to Sunday.

On another note, the latest UKMO medium term does not suggest an immediate breakdown of the cold & instead hints of battleground type setups with the risk of more prolonged snowfall at times. It speaks of less cold conditions into the Southwest of the UK around the 19th..

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭TheBastard

ME seems to be indicating snow for sure for the east coast, now they have been very calm up to this point and saying "some showers" which seems to have closed the capital down. now they are indicating reasonably heavy snow for the east coast. BUT UKMO seems to think rain is coming our way. BBC have rain forecast for ireland sat through till monday where they think we will have our cocktails basking in sunshine!!!

Lets hope ME are right- which scares me a little as they are never right!

VAVA LA SNOW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

RTE saw snow for Sunday/Monday.

Sky News said snow for Sunday/Monday.

Others said rain. Bastards :(

ME WANT MORE SNOW

*tantrum*

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Heed the mods please, this is a Weather forum, not a Politics forum.... (we do have one of those too if you want to argue the toss about preparation!).

I'm on a train to Mayo at the moment, beautiful blue sky and postcard landscape! Its beautiful!

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Went in to Aldi today for firelighters. None in stock and they said they're impossible to get and most stores have run out. Don't know whether to believe them or not but was very strange :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Hi WolfeIRE,

From what I saw on all of the HIRLAM updates at T+24, it never modelled inland penetration of precipitation from the shallow low feature - that's really why I was so pessimistic about the potential event & couldn't work out where Met Eireann were getting the accumulations prediction for - it was more of a risk than certainty really.

SA :)

Hi SA,

They must have upgraded the potential yesterday morning so because the charts did indicate precip in the western third of ireland. I do agree with what you say about their T+24. It has been very reliable in this cold spell. UKMO are very good 48-72 hours out. While my mother is excellent at 1 minute out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

TheBastard wrote: »
    ME seems to be indicating snow for sure for the east coast, now they have been very calm up to this point and saying "some showers" which seems to have closed the capital down. now they are indicating reasonably heavy snow for the east coast. BUT UKMO seems to think rain is coming our way. BBC have rain forecast for ireland sat through till monday where they think we will have our cocktails basking in sunshine!!!

Lets hope ME are right- which scares me a little as they are never right!

VAVA LA SNOW

I told you not to listen to those BBC pansies. They think that the only country that gets snow is themselves...Southern England in general gets f--k all and is the mildest part of Europe along with with South and Southwest of Ireland. BBC weather forecasts are increibly poor..Sky is a lot better..but I listen and prefer our own sources even if they err a bit as well:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Please can everybody calm down and stay on topic.

You have a clean slate but from now on any abusive messages will result in a weeks ban from the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

AntiRip wrote: »
    Went in to Aldi today for firelighters. None in stock and they said they're impossible to get and most stores have run out. Don't know whether to believe them or not but was very strange :D

Some people in the UK are buying second hand books from charity stores cause they are cheaper to burn! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

according to the bbc weather just there, their precipitation chart showed snow right across ireland late sunday into monday. in fact the only place to miss out would be Donegal

The most arrogant country in Euope is Britain although f--k all to be arrogant about. At least the French have fantastic food, highest mountains in Europe, brilliant skiing, beautiful and best wine in World, gorgeous women, magnificent roads, fantastic cinema, need I go on? John Bull has fish and chips, the odd bit of snow liek ourselves, crap beer and pubs and even more scangers than here. A general cess pool although there are some decent people there of course but it is not a scoiety I would care to live in. Vive l'Irlande, Vive La France....:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Temp peaked at 0.6c just before lunch, its currently falling again and is now -0.5c. This mornings low was -8.5c at 6.43am.

That freezing fog has all the trees looking even whiter today than yesterday, frikkin' white trees!!! Its beautiful!! :) Feel like digging out the oil paints again!

Edit: My brother captured this strange cloud formation earlier today!! :P Its not an altered pic!!!
    19653_106837719328707_100000074393772_180785_941131_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭PistolPete78

Howdy folks... Will I see much snow around limerick on Sunday/Monday?
    Have some drivng to do Monday morning!!

Please can everybody calm down and stay on topic.

You have a clean slate but from now on any abusive messages will result in a weeks ban from the forum.

Ok, just making a point.... this is an Irishweather forum and we should keep it that way...:D

ffarrell wrote: »
    The most arrogant country in Euope is Britain although f--k all to be arrogant about. At least the French have fantastic food, highest mountains in Europe, brilliant skiing, beautiful and best wine in World, gorgeous women, magnificent roads, fantastic cinema, need I go on? John Bull has fish and chips, the odd bit of snow liek ourselves, crap beer and pubs and even more scangers than here. A general cess pool although there are some decent people there of course but it is not a scoiety I would care to live in. Vive l'Irlande, Vive La France....:D:D:D

You are warned, no more of this, go the politics forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Roundwood, Annamoe and Laragh are just about not cut off due to the heroics of the snow plough drivers.
    I am a little concerned that whats about to happen on Sunday may even too much for them. I reckon this area could geniunly be cut off from the rest of Ireland by Tuesday if the current charts are to be believed. I for one am stocking up food in case and praying the power doesnt cut out. Storage heating is not exactly great without electricity.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 diarmaid2

Snowaddict wrote: »
    This thread is getting out of control. It is for discussing the current Severe Wintry Outbreak that has gripped the country for some time, not for individual bickering matches that are not even wholly relevant to the weather or what lies ahead.

Agree wholeheartedtly! As a long-time lurker, this site contains excellent contributers who are giving great analysis. But unfortunately too many b***-s**t artists posting as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Let's not forget that the fun will start even before Sunday :

Met Eireann forecast for tomorrow :

'Snow showers, some prolonged near east coasts will spread further inland and westwards during the day.'

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

DeVore wrote: »
    Heed the mods please, this is a Weather forum, not a Politics forum.... (we do have one of those too if you want to argue the toss about preparation!).

I'm on a train to Mayo at the moment, beautiful blue sky and postcard landscape! Its beautiful!

DeV.

i hope you have a camera with you:)

ffarrell wrote: »
    Ok, just making a point.... this is an Irishweather forum and we should keep it that way...:D

Banned for 4 days.

We welcome all nationalities on this forum.

Let's not forget that the fun will start even before Sunday :

Met Eireann forecast for tomorrow :

'Snow showers, some prolonged near east coasts will spread further inland and westwards during the day.'

I dunno, pressure is very high for showers , that said this mornings one was a bit of a shocker!
    As long as power and beer doesn't run out I'm ok jack :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

My guess is that something along the lines of the M1 and M/N11 roads eastwards are going to be affected by the sea air, almost inevitably.

Already this week I've seen sleet fall at night in the city centre with a westerly wind and -6 Celcius p850 temperatures. And the snow that fell didn't stick.

A lot of things are in the right place for this event, but for the coastal parts of the east good mightn't be good enough.

This weather event shouldn't be "severe" in one sense. The snowfall in central england was severe, and will go down in memory over there. But a few inches of snow over a couple has been seen widely in this part of the world several times in the last 50 years, perhaps the latest time being the the 00/01 winter or Feb 09.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Banned for 4 days.

That made me laugh. Good man WC.

Very brief thaw of snow in the sun atm - at least temps are dropping back. 1.4c atm after reaching 1.7c.

Hey WC have you stocked up essentials such as rulers to measure that Malahide snow depth on Sunday ? :D :pac::pac::pac:

DOCARCH wrote: »
    That made me laugh. Good man WC.

Very brief thaw of snow in the sun atm - at least temps are dropping back. 1.4c atm after reaching 1.7c.

Don't like banning people :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Check out Galway Docks its frozen over, -4 here all morning

http://www.galway.net/about/webcam/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Temp peaked at 0.6c just before lunch, its currently falling again and is now -0.5c. This mornings low was -8.5c at 6.43am.

That freezing fog has all the trees looking even whiter today than yesterday, frikkin' white trees!!! Its beautiful!! :) Feel like digging out the oil paints again!

Edit: My brother captured this strange cloud formation earlier today!! :P Its not an altered pic!!!
    19653_106837719328707_100000074393772_180785_941131_n.jpg

Thats snow/ice on an overhead wire.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement