Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Banned for 4 days.

We welcome all nationalities on this forum.

...except those from Ihatesnowland or Nomorefreezingweatheristan. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Supercell wrote: »
    As long as power and beer doesn't run out I'm ok jack :D

+1

Bright and sunny (albeit still -5C) in East Clare
    Not pinning my hopes on loads of sneachta for the weekend, that way I can't feel let-down...? right ?
    [/clutchingatstrawshere] :D

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Temp peaked at 0.6c just before lunch, its currently falling again and is now -0.5c. This mornings low was -8.5c at 6.43am.

That freezing fog has all the trees looking even whiter today than yesterday, frikkin' white trees!!! Its beautiful!! :) Feel like digging out the oil paints again!

Edit: My brother captured this strange cloud formation earlier today!! :P Its not an altered pic!!!
    19653_106837719328707_100000074393772_180785_941131_n.jpg

Brilliant - took me a few seconds to realise what I was looking at! :D Great photo!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Hey WC have you stocked up essentials such as rulers to measure that Malahide snow depth on Sunday ? :D :pac::pac::pac:

Be careful now! Sarcasim, etc., etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

The sun up here is dazzling, it is made more so by the snow lying on the ground !

Nothing really thawing though which is great !!

Are we expecting more snow this evening then or is it tomorrow ?

I am all stocked up, loads of beer, some bread and some cheese, I can love off the carbs in the beer ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Hey WC have you stocked up essentials such as rulers to measure that Malahide snow depth on Sunday ? :D :pac::pac::pac:

Yea i have a very accurate vernier calipers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Be careful now! Sarcasim, etc., etc.

Are you daring to suggest there wil be no snow in Malahide this weekend doc?
    Banned for a year!!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

AntiRip wrote: »
    Went in to Aldi today for firelighters. None in stock and they said they're impossible to get and most stores have run out. Don't know whether to believe them or not but was very strange :D
    They're only hiding them from you hahahaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

In Offaly near Tullamore -5.

No cold water coming out of taps. Can the pipes burst? What can I do to thaw out. It's not going to get any warmer here!

I have to say, it really was beautiful seeing all the trees this morning. Every twig covered in frost from that fog last night (nightmare to drive in!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Thats snow/ice on an overhead wire.

Jeez, thanks for spoiling all the fun! :rolleyes::P Yes, its snow/ice on a washing line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Roundwood, Annamoe and Laragh are just about not cut off due to the heroics of the snow plough drivers.
    I am a little concerned that whats about to happen on Sunday may even too much for them. I reckon this area could geniunly be cut off from the rest of Ireland by Tuesday if the current charts are to be believed. I for one am stocking up food in case and praying the power doesnt cut out. Storage heating is not exactly great without electricity.

Squeaky bum time :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Its Strange to see the Snow melting from some of the roofs this afternoon.

Although that sun is quite strong the Air temp at the moment is -3.8 from a low of -10.9 this morning.

On a side not but it is weather related , I got a tasty Bord Gais bill this morning ! €314.96 if you dont be minding , I will be having words with herself when she gets home ! Heating must have been on full tilt from the 21/10/09 until the 29/12/09.

Ah well I can live with it because of this beautiful weather were are having :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Snowaddict wrote: »
    This thread is getting out of control. It is for discussing the current Severe Wintry Outbreak that has gripped the country for some time, not for individual bickering matches that are not even wholly relevant to the weather or what lies ahead.

Now, regarding the outlook. The latest HIRLAM update models the potential snowfall risk for Eastern areas tomorrow, it shouldn't be exceptionally heavy, but could be rather persistent:

prec_nordeuro-21.gif

By 12.00 Hours on Sunday, it models snowfall becoming more persistent and widespread in Southeastern & Eastern areas:

prec_nordeuro-49.gif

any idea when its going to spread further north into munster apart from waterford?!

Holy crap!!!! -Major routes may be closed as grit supplies dwindle the implications of this if major routes are not gritted are truely worrying.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

Mink wrote: »

No cold water coming out of taps. Can the pipes burst? What can I do to thaw out. It's not going to get any warmer here!

I have to say, it really was beautiful seeing all the trees this morning. Every twig covered in frost from that fog last night (nightmare to drive in!)

if you tip over to the DIY forum Mink they will sort you out there on the pipes issue.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Don't like banning people :D

And with possibly the biggest weather event of a lot of people lifetimes coming up . I was only a twinkle in the eye back in 82, 83 was a good year for the harvest !

Gave me a giggle anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

PauloMN wrote: »
    ...except those from Ihatesnowland or Nomorefreezingweatheristan. :D

haha:D

while tobeconfirmed is right of course in his sober analysis. we have seen greater snowfall in the past but at the same time i think there is no harm in getting carried way- it could be our last chance for a while!
    for me that's part of the fun of this forum. i think there is room for both the banter and the serious discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

My guess is that something along the lines of the M1 and M/N11 roads eastwards are going to be affected by the sea air, almost inevitably.

Already this week I've seen sleet fall at night in the city centre with a westerly wind and -6 Celcius p850 temperatures. And the snow that fell didn't stick.

A lot of things are in the right place for this event, but for the coastal parts of the east good mightn't be good enough.

This weather event shouldn't be "severe" in one sense. The snowfall in central england was severe, and will go down in memory over there. But a few inches of snow over a couple has been seen widely in this part of the world several times in the last 50 years, perhaps the latest time being the the 00/01 winter or Feb 09.

Im east of the N11 /M11 merger & we have never seen anything like it... Normaly we get a snow , gone by lunch following day.. Started New Years eve... Everything froze solid... Managed get car out Tuesday. Stuck now since tue night ;severe accumulations now, more this morning.... Absolutely no thaw whatsoever.... I emptied the water out of the dryer onto the grass - melted nothing..... Treked to tesco 4km there & bak last night.... Put it this way I wont be going out again till its over..... Its layers & layers of ice & snow.... Paths, high curbs & road are all merged into 1... You cant see a difference.

One thing though - suggestion to people... Clear your car .... if you get a call from a family member in need or an emergency it will be a 20 min job to clear the ice & snow off it..... " hang on ma - need to clear the car" Locks were frozen on it & just clearing the layers of ice & snow took an age.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

haha:D

while tobeconfirmed is right of course in his sober analysis. we have seen greater snowfall in the past but at the same time i think there is no harm in getting carried way- it could be our last chance for a while!
    for me that's part of the fun of this forum. i think there is room for both the banter and the serious discussion.

true - PS: DON'T EAT YELLOW SNOW! IT'S SALTY...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yea i have a very accurate vernier calipers.
    Obtained from where, perchance?!

Looks like I better get some shopping done today. Some of the supermarket chains have their distribution centres in crazy places. Tesco have them north of Dublin city. And is it true that M&S have a place near Gallstown Quarry? (Near The Naul)

I wonder, would the easterly winds being predicted for the weekend be enough to stop ferry crossings? I should hope not, even though it would enhance the chance of snow.

The UKMO meso model is now coming into play. Downplaying precipitation currently:(

10010918_0806.gif

There is a wee bit of precipitation for Louth. No pun intended:)

Sunday early morning:
    10011000_0806.gif

Further light amounts of snow on the east coast, also mainly in Louth.

An extremely cold airmass crossing the Irish Sea, so I expect ppn will be more widespread than indicated above. The HIRLAM model looks more probable, once pressure doesn't build any more than expected.
    10011000_0806.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Given the fact that GFS had no ppt showing for Mon 11th just 2 days ago, then giving some ppt, but as rain 1 day ago, and now giving some ppt coming down as mostly snow today (still, for the 11th), I'd risk to say that the tendency is good and the outlook is great!
    It could really be a memorable Sunday/Monday, and not only for the Easterners :D

Mink wrote: »

I leave a tap in the bathroom running with a light flow so the pipes cannot/less likely to freeze over.
    The estate here has its own water supply, which is currently an icerink with snow on top. So far I am restraining the overpowering urge to go racing around on it on a quadbike..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Pangea wrote: »
    saw that yesterday pangea. It's unreal. Your man makes an awful job of getting out:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Obtained from where, perchance?!

Looks like I better get some shopping done today. Some of the supermarket chains have their distribution centres in crazy places. Tesco have them north of Dublin city. And is it true that M&S have a place near Gallstown Quarry? (Near The Naul)

I wonder, would the easterly winds being predicted for the weekend be enough to stop ferry crossings? I should hope not, even though it would enhance the chance of snow.

The UKMO meso model is now coming into play. Downplaying precipitation currently:(

10010918_0806.gif

There is a wee bit of precipitation for Louth. No pun intended:)

Sunday early morning:
    10011000_0806.gif

Further light amounts of snow on the east coast, also mainly in Louth.

An extremely cold airmass crossing the Irish Sea, so I expect ppn will be more widespread than indicated above. The HIRLAM model looks more probable, once pressure doesn't build any more than expected.
    10011000_0806.gif

I don't know..

I really don't like the UK meso precip predictions, have been horribly wrong for me over the past week. There could for maybe 12 hours out but after that less so.

Just incase this does turn out to be a huge event , Its great to see the spirit is alive and well

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055791493

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

its possible the high pressure may scupper alll hopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

some inexplicable precip in kilkenny county.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Tut tut tut. Very bad advice here regarding the climate...

http://www.goireland.com/about-ireland.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭rockdrummer

any idea when its going to spread further north into munster apart from waterford?!

is that yellow snow :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement