Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭scotchy

19653_106837719328707_100000074393772_180785_941131_n.jpg

is that not just a pic of some frozen snow on a wire?

Edit. was a bit slow, sorry

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

No.

ITS A CHEMTRAIL.:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Temp peaked at 0.6c just before lunch, its currently falling again and is now -0.5c. This mornings low was -8.5c at 6.43am.

That freezing fog has all the trees looking even whiter today than yesterday, frikkin' white trees!!! Its beautiful!! :) Feel like digging out the oil paints again!

Edit: My brother captured this strange cloud formation earlier today!! :P Its not an altered pic!!!
    19653_106837719328707_100000074393772_180785_941131_n.jpg
    always wondered what snow on the washing line looked like from below!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

For the first time today I have had a chance to look at some runs for sunday and monday. Most agree that there will be very heavy snow for much of the southern half of the country at least. Based on these charts the snow could fall in many parts for 3-4 days. I think it is more likely to snow in coastal areas than sleet/rain looking at these charts.

Now is a time for calm i know as things can change but you cannot help but be taken aback looking at some of these charts.

PPVK89.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

so do any of you have confidence in the bbc precipitation for late sunday into Monday being accurate?

• Advertisement

Just out and about there in Dub city centre. Seems to be getting a bit more pleasant and a lot less cold. Especially compared to this morning. Some of the footpaths seem like they should be sponsored by 7up though.
    paddybar wrote: »
    is there a bitching and bickering forum here where we could send those two?

The Ladies Lounge?

*joke*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Supercell wrote: »
    I leave a tap in the bathroom running with a light flow so the pipes cannot/less likely to freeze over.
    The estate here has its own water supply, which is currently an icerink with snow on top. So far I am restraining the overpowering urge to go racing around on it on a quadbike..

LOL, well, even the pro's are accident prone when it comes to ice!

88%20Excellent%20Ice%20Skating%20Accident%20Pic.jpg

Ouch, you can hear the bones breaking! :o

so do any of you have confidence in the bbc precipitation for late sunday into Monday being accurate?

I have not seen it Nacho. I don't trust the BBC charts much this far out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

fintonie wrote: »
    its possible the high pressure may scupper alll hopes.

I hope so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Where I live and back home both are east of the M1/M50/M11. Back home is a bit of a disaster, the particular hill I live on is too steep to drive on so for my family to go to work, they have to walk half a mile on said slippery lane to do it. I do know what I said about it was a guideline, and was specifically about organised snowfall coming from the east or southeast in general.

The hirlam model has verified a bit better but yesterday's Eagle Low damaged my confidence in it. In this situation, forecaster experience and personal experience is what I'd wager on. The airflow over the irish sea looks conducive for shower development, with the windspeed and fetch and depth of the cold all counteracting the pressure. But of course not much has to change to make it different.

What worries me most is the GFS dewpoint predictions. Unacceptably marginal on the east coast from midday Sunday onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Lisa Burke just said there that the snow would be light but because it's falling for a long time there could be a lot of it.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

fintonie wrote: »
    its possible the high pressure may scupper alll hopes.

And yet Ice Ice Baby was a ripoff of Under Pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

leahyl wrote: »
    Lisa Burke just said there that the snow would be light but because it's falling for a long time there could be a lot of it.

Even her words are beautiful :o

By the way that front you see across Ireland on the UKMO chart is a slow moving one so it will deliver heavy falls of snow (if it happens) in the middle third of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

For those with freezing pipes issues (I had this a couple of weeks back..)

1. dont leave a tap running to avoid it, we had no water for 4 days as the reservoir was drained by people doing this amongst other things.

2. Do go to your attic now and check that all copper pipes have insulation. If you cant afford insulation just tape newspaper around them, 4 or 5 sheets has a massive impact.

3. check to see if you have 2 tanks, a big one and a much smaller one. If the smaller one has water in then you can still have the heating on even if your main water is cut off.

4. If your pipes do freeze, open the loft hatch and leave it open, this way they will defrost (makes your house colder though).

5. Once defrosted, either lag or leave heating on with loft hatch open.

6. If your mains is cut off, you still have water in the tank, preserve this by not flushing loos unless you really have to ;) and stocking up dishes and washing them all at once.

7. Melting snow for water is a good idea but a bucket of snow can take 3 days to melt and leaves you with 1/3 of a bucket of water.

Hope this helps. Feel free to correct me if you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    By the way that front you see across Ireland on the UKMO chart is a slow moving one so it will deliver heavy falls of snow (if it happens) in the middle third of the country.
    :D

(ETA...not that I'm bothered.... no... not me.....nah....snow...pah...overrated....tch...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    And yet Ice Ice Baby was a ripoff of Under Pressure.

Brilliant! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

ch750536 wrote: »
    For those with freezing pipes issues (I had this a couple of weeks back..)

1. dont leave a tap running to avoid it, we had no water for 4 days as the reservoir was drained by people doing this amongst other things.

2. Do go to your attic now and check that all copper pipes have insulation. If you cant afford insulation just tape newspaper around them, 4 or 5 sheets has a massive impact.

3. check to see if you have 2 tanks, a big one and a much smaller one. If the smaller one has water in then you can still have the heating on even if your main water is cut off.

4. If your pipes do freeze, open the loft hatch and leave it open, this way they will defrost (makes your house colder though).

5. Once defrosted, either lag or leave heating on with loft hatch open.

6. If your mains is cut off, you still have water in the tank, preserve this by not flushing loos unless you really have to ;) and stocking up dishes and washing them all at once.

7. Melting snow for water is a good idea but a bucket of snow can take 3 days to melt and leaves you with 1/3 of a bucket of water.

Hope this helps. Feel free to correct me if you need.
    +1 on all the above. Except, if you have a private water supply, then leaving a tap running somewhat is a good idea if a severe temperature drop is expected. There's always the small risk of a well going dry so don't go overboard. But having a frozen pump is really not fun to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Tempreture is -3 here

-23 recorded in scotland last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Tempreture is -3 here

-23 recorded in scotland last night.

Woah,

The South Pole was -22.9 last night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Could this be counted as reliable at 30 hours out ?

101526.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

+1 on all the above. Except, if you have a private water supply, then leaving a tap running somewhat is a good idea if a severe temperature drop is expected. There's always the small risk of a well going dry so don't go overboard. But having a frozen pump is really not fun to deal with.
    Indeed, the estate manager here told me to leave a bathroom tap running light all day as last year one of the houses burst pipes and flooded while the people who lived their were on holidays and left the heating off.
    The estate has its own little reservoir which is directly fed of a river from Scarr mountain so water conservation is not an issue.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Where I live and back home both are east of the M1/M50/M11. Back home is a bit of a disaster, the particular hill I live on is too steep to drive on so for my family to go to work, they have to walk half a mile on said slippery lane to do it. I do know what I said about it was a guideline, and was specifically about organised snowfall coming from the east or southeast in general.

The hirlam model has verified a bit better but yesterday's Eagle Low damaged my confidence in it. In this situation, forecaster experience and personal experience is what I'd wager on. The airflow over the irish sea looks conducive for shower development, with the windspeed and fetch and depth of the cold all counteracting the pressure. But of course not much has to change to make it different.

What worries me most is the GFS dewpoint predictions. Unacceptably marginal on the east coast from midday Sunday onwards.

They dont look too bad ....

101528.png

It will not be too far out if the winds do pick up from the east. Precip will be hit and miss and will vary in intensity from location to location. Will give a few cm in places.
    Could this be counted as reliable at 30 hours out ?

101526.png

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

I cannot stress enough that HIRLAM did not model inland penetration of precipitation, I am adament of that, I checked it four times & it certainly did not show this. It showed the main disturbance centred in the Atlantic and moving south, not inland, with a risk of coastal wintry showers, which is exactly what happened.

I agree with your points as above though, it could turn more marginal later on near the coast, as did the February 2009 event, but inland should be fine.

Another point to make, the 528 DAM line is not as important when we are dealing with a Continental Easterly. Snowfall has occured on the continent before in Dam Heights of 546 DAM air, incredibly!

Precipitation looks to be fairly light, perhaps moderate in the Southeast, but it's persistence is proving to be the troubling factor.

Notably, pressure declines to 1020MB in the South on Sunday, those pressure levels are more acceptable.

I posted some days ago about the evolution on 31 Dec 96/ 1 Jan 1997, being very similar to this one & it does appear that way. Again, pressure was relatively high at 1020MB - 1025MB, but this delivered decent snowfall to many Southeastern areas.

It's still far from certain at the moment but I would put the risk at about 60% for increasingly persistent outbreaks of light snow in Eastern & Southeastern areas from Sunday afternoon onwards. Also worth noting that an inversion layer will have formed at this point with snowcover and the depth of cold that is in place, once 850mb temperatures increase this will become relevant. In the UK, snowfall has been recorded with 850mb Temperatures of 0C because of snowcover.

All very interesting & the potential is certainly there.

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

fancy a flutter?

101529.jpg

would anyone mind telling me briefly what today has in store for Dublin? Ive been looking back through pages, but theres a lot of sqabbling to sort thru. so if anyone could Id be grateful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Jake1 wrote: »
    would anyone mind telling me briefly what today has in store for Dublin? Ive been looking back through pages, but theres a lot of sqabbling to sort thru. so if anyone could Id be grateful

Cold and clear. Possibly a light shower or two popping up somewhere. Got lucky here earlier and got a little top up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

well ive never known this in my 39 years of living! -5.2c at midday here, still -3.4c now as the sun starts to leave us for the west horizion! Tonight here is suppossed to be the coldest part of Ireland, I wonder what will happen?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Woah,

The South Pole was -22.9 last night.

It's summer there now, you know :) the sun does not even set...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement