Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

snaps wrote: »
    well ive never known this in my 39 years of living! -5.2c at midday here, still -3.4c now as the sun starts to leave us for the west horizion! Tonight here is suppossed to be the coldest part of Ireland, I wonder what will happen?
    Gonna be a chill one mate.

Very chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Snowaddict wrote: »
    I cannot stress enough that HIRLAM did not model inland penetration of precipitation, I am adament of that, I checked it four times & it certainly did not show this. It showed the main disturbance centred in the Atlantic and moving south, not inland, with a risk of coastal wintry showers, which is exactly what happened.

I agree with your points as above though, it could turn more marginal later on near the coast, as did the February 2009 event, but inland should be fine.

Another point to make, the 528 DAM line is not as important when we are dealing with a Continental Easterly. Snowfall has occured on the continent before in Dam Heights of 546 DAM air, incredibly!

Precipitation looks to be fairly light, perhaps moderate in the Southeast, but it's persistence is proving to be the troubling factor.

Notably, pressure declines to 1020MB in the South on Sunday, those pressure levels are more acceptable.

I posted some days ago about the evolution on 31 Dec 96/ 1 Jan 1997, being very similar to this one & it does appear that way. Again, pressure was relatively high at 1020MB - 1025MB, but this delivered decent snowfall to many Southeastern areas.

It's still far from certain at the moment but I would put the risk at about 60% for increasingly persistent outbreaks of light snow in Eastern & Southeastern areas from Sunday afternoon onwards. Also worth noting that an inversion layer will have formed at this point with snowcover and the depth of cold that is in place, once 850mb temperatures increase this will become relevant. In the UK, snowfall has been recorded with 850mb Temperatures of 0C because of snowcover.

All very interesting & the potential is certainly there.

SA :)

sa, is the hirlam model the one you mentioned as being the most reliable in predicting the track of precipitation so far during this cold period?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Bit of a laugh for a friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

I cannot stress enough that HIRLAM did not model inland penetration of precipitation, I am adament of that, I checked it four times & it certainly did not show this. It showed the main disturbance centred in the Atlantic and moving south, not inland, with a risk of coastal wintry showers, which is exactly what happened.

this was posted in the early AM yesterday

101296.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

101531.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

sa, is the hirlam model the one you mentioned that had been most reliable in predicting the track of precipitation so far during this cold period?

Hi Nacho,

Yes indeed it is. UKMO NAE for example didn't predict the snowfall on Wednesday in the East & Southeast where as ECMWF/Hirlam did. Even during rainfall events, HIRLAM has always been very accurate, especially at T+24..

Did you know that Jean Byrne worked on the development/enhancement of the HIRLAM model, as well as other NWP Guidance.

snaps wrote: »
    well ive never known this in my 39 years of living! -5.2c at midday here, still -3.4c now as the sun starts to leave us for the west horizion! Tonight here is suppossed to be the coldest part of Ireland, I wonder what will happen?

in parts of scotland the temperature has not got above above -11!
    it would be great to see a temperature record broken tonight but that's unlikely at an offical met station:(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

What we have been facing here the last three weeks is not fresh snow, but deep compacted ice. Exacerbated when there is a light sun thaw, or a little rain and then it freezes over again.

Around three inches deep in places right across the minor roads.

"Learning to drive" as you put it is not possible in these conditions, when neither gears nor brakes prevent a gravitational slide.

No amount of skill or experience helds then.

Many men tried to drive my car; some ended her up in the ditch.

And this has been so for three weeks now on many side roads.
    Snow chains are legal here but should only be used on snow more than an inch or two deep. They will damage roads if the snow isn't deep enough and should be taken off as soon as you reach less snow or clear roads.

TBH your friend would be far better off learning to drive on the kind of snow we get here which isn't really deep enough to warrant the use of chains and occurs about every third tuesday in lent.

user_offline.gifreport.gif

[/quote]

Hi Nacho,

Yes indeed it is. UKMO NAE for example didn't predict the snowfall on Wednesday in the East & Southeast where as ECMWF/Hirlam did. Even during rainfall events, HIRLAM has always been very accurate, especially at T+24..

Did you know that Jean Byrne worked on the development/enhancement of the HIRLAM model, as well as other NWP Guidance.

thanks SA:)

no i did not know that about her, that's certainly very impressive:). do you know anything else about her. like where she likes to goes out:p

but on a more serious note i won't get my hopes up for snow making it this far west so.

I cannot stress enough that HIRLAM did not model inland penetration of precipitation, I am adament of that, I checked it four times & it certainly did not show this. It showed the main disturbance centred in the Atlantic and moving south, not inland, with a risk of coastal wintry showers, which is exactly what happened. SA :)

This one as well SA. I knew i didn't imagine it

http://wwww.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63846936&postcount=880
    101331.jpg

DMI.DK Hirlam 06z run

HIRLAM get it completely wrong yesterday

• Advertisement

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    This was posted in the early AM yesterday

101296.gif

Indeed & look how accurate it was, no feature running down across the bulk of the West, any heavy or sustained precipitation is kept offshore. Light, transitory precip in parts of Mayo & Galway, progressing southwards. In addition, light snow showers off Eastern coasts, but not penetrating inland - one or two very light flurries clipping the extreme East Coast - that's exactly what happened also.

In terms of accuracy, that was very accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I prefer it my way; and in that case I quoted phrases in the text .. and yes, DEFINITELY the wrong side of the bed!!!

:D;)

I would say he is complaining that you are putting the quote under you reply like this

Where most people put there reply under the quote like this. He must have gotton out of the wrong side of the bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Hi Nacho,

what outfits did she wear when working on that development/enhancement?!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Lovely ones :pac:

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Has the BBC site got the Dublin weather right ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/31

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

Lets fill in the gaps this weekend..:pac:

snow1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Supercell wrote: »
    Lovely ones :pac:

HIRLAM is responsible so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Has the BBC site got the Dublin weather right ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/31

I hope not. I'd rather snow than feckin rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

Just reading about the snow of 47', in 1946 they had a really bad summer, rained all summer and most of the crops were lost in the autumn, the first snow came at the end of October but cleared again, then there was snow in early Jan and the rest of the month was sunny but frosty but the snow never left the ground, then it started right in February and continued until mid march, with most places covered in metres of snow on St.Patricks Day...As far as I know it was an easterly wind and a depression from the atlantic that covered the whole country...Any coincidences I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 rossy00

ch750536 wrote: »
    For those with freezing pipes issues (I had this a couple of weeks back..)

1. dont leave a tap running to avoid it, we had no water for 4 days as the reservoir was drained by people doing this amongst other things.

2. Do go to your attic now and check that all copper pipes have insulation. If you cant afford insulation just tape newspaper around them, 4 or 5 sheets has a massive impact.

3. check to see if you have 2 tanks, a big one and a much smaller one. If the smaller one has water in then you can still have the heating on even if your main water is cut off.

4. If your pipes do freeze, open the loft hatch and leave it open, this way they will defrost (makes your house colder though).

5. Once defrosted, either lag or leave heating on with loft hatch open.

6. If your mains is cut off, you still have water in the tank, preserve this by not flushing loos unless you really have to ;) and stocking up dishes and washing them all at once.

7. Melting snow for water is a good idea but a bucket of snow can take 3 days to melt and leaves you with 1/3 of a bucket of water.

Hope this helps. Feel free to correct me if you need.
    the best way round this is to leave an electric heater on in the attic and checking on it every coupe of hours. leaving the hatch open and the heating on isnt a great idea ya may just throw your money in the fire all you'll end up with is a cold house and a cold attic.

• Advertisement

LOL! I don't know now, maybe something of a Scandinavian influence, Swedish/Danish perhaps :D

On a more serious note, it will be interesting to see just who is doing the forecast this evening. I wonder will Evelyn be on?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

rossy00 wrote: »
    the best way round this is to leave an electric heater on in the attic and checking on it every coupe of hours. leaving the hatch open and the heating on isnt a great idea ya may just throw your money in the fire all you'll end up with is a cold house and a cold attic.

I disagree.
    I the electric heater would probably do very little in a cold attic, and would make your electrical bills look like Ronaldos Bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

what are or chances for snow on sunday for mayo.temp in car -3

LOL! I don't know now, maybe something of a Scandinavian influence, Swedish/Danish perhaps :D

On a more serious note, it will be interesting to see just who is doing the forecast this evening. I wonder will Evelyn be on?

SA. Did you see that HIRLAM?
    http://wwww.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63846936&postcount=880

It was wrong. No need for you to apologise:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

d'Oracle wrote: »
    I disagree.
    I the electric heater would probably do very little in a cold attic, and would make your electrical bills look like Ronaldos Bank account.

Or you could buy one of those purpose infrared lamps which are placed over the water tanks. They switch on when the temperature drops below a certain point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

[deleted, wrong charts posted]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

vizualpics wrote: »
    Just reading about the snow of 47', in 1946 they had a really bad summer, rained all summer and most of the crops were lost in the autumn, the first snow came at the end of October but cleared again, then there was snow in early Jan and the rest of the month was sunny but frosty but the snow never left the ground, then it started right in February and continued until mid march, with most places covered in metres of snow on St.Patricks Day...As far as I know it was an easterly wind and a depression from the atlantic that covered the whole country...Any coincidences I wonder?

Yep, thats the thing about 47' it didn't start until the end of January. People might have though the worst of the winter was over and then they were hit with the sucker punch. The UK (as usual) had more snow than us, but there were 2 or 3 memorable blizzards which hit here - countrywide. Low pressure systems were trying to push in over the cold air, but the cold air kept winning - result - loads of snow. If we had that type of weather - real snow - with drifts of several feet etc etc,the country would come to a stop.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

hmm im starting to doubt Sunday and Monday north of Dublin, looks like the snow may only come as far north as Dublin??

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

I am due to fly home from Prestwick (Scotland) to Shannon on sunday, flight time is depart at 6:20pm arrive Shannon at 7:15pm. What are the chances this flight will be cancelled due to the weather??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

They should bring out the big guns for that one. Lord Aidan Nulty for example....;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement