Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

They dont look too bad ....

101528.png
    That chart is for Sunday 3am? If you posted the Sunday midday chart, the one I mentioned, it's a very different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    SA. Did you see that HIRLAM?
    http://wwww.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63846936&postcount=880

It was wrong. No need to apologise:p

Again, what was it most consistently showing over the majority of these runs? That the precip would not penetrate inland.

In essence, that 06Z run did show a feature more inland, but the main bulk of persistent precipitation, as you can see is still kept offshore in the Atlantic.

I agree that models are not foolproof, but from both charts that you have posted, they in no way support widespread snowfall with potential accumulations of 2CM - 6CM for the West, it was more of a risk... Met Eireann were covering the potential, as they are doing with the potential end of weekend event, because the spotlight is now on them.

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Soliders?

OH SOLDIERS!
    fintonie wrote: »
    are they arming up with snow balls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Again, what was it most consistently showing over the majority of these runs? That the precip would not penetrate inland.

Let's call it a draw so:p

They should bring out the big guns for that one. Lord Aidan Nulty for example....;)

Completely agree Force Eleven. It would be fantastic to have Dr Aidan Nulty on the broadcast tonight.

I know that Michael Fish was brought back in the UK during this past week.

Met Eireann, if you are reading - maybe you could follow through ;)

• Advertisement

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Let's call it a draw so:p

I agree :D

But it's fairly reliable at least. Although that's not to say it could well backtrack at a moment's notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

In essence, that 06Z run did show a feature more inland, but the main bulk of persistent precipitation, as you can see is still kept offshore in the Atlantic.

I agree that models are not foolproof, but from both charts that you have posted, they in no way support widespread snowfall with potential accumulations of 2CM - 6CM for the West, it was more of a risk... Met Eireann were covering the potential, as they are doing with the potential end of weekend event, because the spotlight is now on them.

yes i think you're right about Met Eireann covering themselves because while snow not materialising would lead to anger(mostly on this forum:p) there would be widsespread anger if they played down the threat of snow and we saw moderate to significant accumulations(how i'd love to hear the latter words issued in a forecast this winter)
    by monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Completely agree Force Eleven. It would be fantastic to have Dr Aidan Nulty on the broadcast tonight.

I know that Michael Fish was brought back in the UK during this past week.

Met Eireann, if you are reading - maybe you could follow through ;)
    The Fish is back on the BBC?

Have twice been stuck in traffic when money has been being delivered to banks: spooked me totally.. not used to real guns glinting in the sun... gulp! ( refugee from the UK)

quote=Elmo5;63869224]Seriously though, I'm in Celbridge.... are they really calling in the army here already? roads are bad but didnt think that they were *that* bad.

maybe it's just for the banks or something?[/quote]

LOL! I don't know now, maybe something of a Scandinavian influence, Swedish/Danish perhaps :D

On a more serious note, it will be interesting to see just who is doing the forecast this evening. I wonder will Evelyn be on?

It's the Eagle :)

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote: »
    The Fish is back on the BBC?
    He does the weather on BBC one south East news.
    Thats BBC one south East and not BBC one london.
    You can add it on sky or via a fta box.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

It's the Eagle :)

The west might be in for another polar low? :rolleyes:

Temps back to -0.2c here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

DOCARCH wrote: »
    The west might be in for another polar low? :rolleyes:

Temps back to -0.2c here now.

These should start to plummet from 4.30 or so ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

not sure of the temp here in galway city but its significantly colder then anyday this week, very bad fog also

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

My Great Uncle from Tullow just rang me a few minutes ago and said to me, " son i hope you have plenty of coal and baby food in for Saturday evening, it could be wednesday before you get out again". He is in his late 70's a farmer and his weather forecast's always amazed me, always right and all from looking at birds and tree's and what the Cattle on the farm are up to.

He said the snow will start tomorrow and will not rest till Monday, wonder will he be right, as i said he's a real old wives tales kinda bloke but has never steered me wrong ever. He has no internet and still has a 14inch B+W aerial t.v, just refuses to get with the times. His forecast is solely on the reaction of the Animals on his farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

so it will be interesting to see, whether he describes this as the significant event he thought we would get at some point during this cold period.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

It may have been reported, but unlike some, I can't sit and watch the updates here real time, and the thread has grown exponentially since the last time I logged on.

Sky are implying that light continuous snow will arrive at some stage on Sunday, and will continue without interuption through till Tuesday. The East and south are most at risk, and Northern Ireland and the North West may not get more than passing showers.

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

t|nt|n wrote: »
    These should start to plummet from 4.30 or so ?

At this time of year my temps start to plummet around 15:00. By 16:00 they wil be sub zero again no doubt from a high of 3.3°C at 13:58

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭Storm 10

skelliser wrote: »
    not sure of the temp here in galway city but its significantly colder then anyday this week, very bad fog also

Showing -4 here all day on my weather station

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Has the BBC site got the Dublin weather right ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/31

Let's hope not. If the temp reaches 4/5c then it definitely won't snow, although the BBC have been so wide of the mark with their temps this week that they could easily be wrong again and we could definitely see lower temps and more snow. That chart is showing a max of 3c in Dublin for today, for example, whereas today's max was only around 0.5c at best. Met E is forecasting a high of 1c around Dublin on Sunday, whereas as the BBC are saying 4c. I wonder who'll be closest...?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Supercell wrote: »
    At this time of year my temps start to plummet around 15:00. By 16:00 they wil be sub zero again no doubt from a high of 3.3°C at 13:58

Down to -0.5c now. Difference though bewteen yesterday and toady is that wind is now NE here (although there is no wind atm) which will bring in some milder Irish Sea air. High today of 1.7c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

metcheck has a terrible record i know (now) but its also stating lashings of rain, feck it anyway this weather lark is stressfull stuff:(:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Showing -4 here all day on my weather station

Had the same on my car at 12:00 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Just a quick update for Cork

Looks like continuos snow from early Sunday through to early Monday, which will lead to chaos imo down here
    Then as winds veer onshore monday the snow will turn back to sleet.
    It could be tuesday though before cork gets moving!!
    It will be exceptional, even if short lived!!

Interesting ideas;;; would dearly love to be able to climb into the loft..

Any offers? ;)

Leaving a tiny drip is often enough to keep water flowing. Thankfully the water supply here is private

No idea what is happening up there after the small flood and icicles y'day and no way of finding out.

I think I have turned the waterto the loft off and drained what I can.

Thankfully the crazy system here means that there are two seperate systems..

But leaving a heater on?:rolleyes:

Originally Posted by ch750536 viewpost.gif
    For those with freezing pipes issues (I had this a couple of weeks back..)

1. dont leave a tap running to avoid it, we had no water for 4 days as the reservoir was drained by people doing this amongst other things.

2. Do go to your attic now and check that all copper pipes have insulation. If you cant afford insulation just tape newspaper around them, 4 or 5 sheets has a massive impact.

3. check to see if you have 2 tanks, a big one and a much smaller one. If the smaller one has water in then you can still have the heating on even if your main water is cut off.

4. If your pipes do freeze, open the loft hatch and leave it open, this way they will defrost (makes your house colder though).

5. Once defrosted, either lag or leave heating on with loft hatch open.

6. If your mains is cut off, you still have water in the tank, preserve this by not flushing loos unless you really have to wink.gif and stocking up dishes and washing them all at once.

7. Melting snow for water is a good idea but a bucket of snow can take 3 days to melt and leaves you with 1/3 of a bucket of water.

Hope this helps. Feel free to correct me if you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Some pics from drive into town this morning.

Finglas-South, hence the bent and burned railings
    101536.jpg

101537.jpg

101538.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭FuzzyZoeller

Temp here in Naas has slid back to -1.5 from a dizzy high of -0.8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

No wind and the sun actually felt warmish. All in all... what a beautiful day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

That chart is for Sunday 3am? If you posted the Sunday midday chart, the one I mentioned, it's a very different story.

Sorry is it not T45 from the time of the post ? Which would leave it a little before mid day ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    Some pics from drive into town this morning.

Finglas-South, hence the bent and burned railings
    101536.jpg

101537.jpg

101538.jpg

Wow, those are pretty dreadful driving roads conditions.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement