Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

Looks good also for the West on Sunday...

06_57_uksnow.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/2299?&search=galway&itemsPerPage=10&region=world

Im hugely confused ted! if you put in galway its snowing if you put in dublin its raining, yet met.ie says dublin will get snow the west less so, whats going on?:cool:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Outside air temp in Ashbourne is now +3.4, having gone to -9 overnight, some of that rise will be due to rising warm air off the south facing roof, which had thawed since the snow fall this morning. Anything in shade, or out of direct sun is still as it was, and very crunchy.

Major roads (Ratoath, Clonee, Blanch, Clonsaugh, Swords) are wet in most places, secondary roads have wet tracks between ice, minor roads estates and most footpaths are still sheet ice under snow or snow grains, depending on traffic levels, no hassles in a 4 x 4 :D:p, but challenging in some cars, OK in others.

Things would be a lot better if people would drive according to the conditions. Followed a mini earlier in Rolestown, on wet road, had all lights on, including rear fog light, in brilliant sunshine, and was crawling at 15 Kph!! Way too many people using bootfuls of power in light cars and wondering why they spin!

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Supercell wrote: »
    Wow, those are pretty dreadful driving roads conditions.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't do a few slow handbrakers on the estate roads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

vizualpics wrote: »
    Looks good also for the West on Sunday...

06_57_uksnow.png

Damn you weather gods!!!

That wee hole in the north west is pretty much exactly over my house :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    I'd be lying if I said I didn't do a few slow handbrakers on the estate roads :D
    i have to confess that i have the handbreak fairly worn on mine since the start of the snow great fun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Pete M. wrote: »
    Damn you weather gods!!!

Hehe little bro, just noticed that - mind it is just a computer generated map so all is not lost!

Paddy Smyth's frozen field in 1982 might just be about to make a comeback :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I was going to ask re this; it started to get very much colder here as early as 2.30

Clear skies and very Alpine hanging washing out in the sunshine with the snow covered mountains.. :)
    t|nt|n wrote: »
    These should start to plummet from 4.30 or so ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    Some pics from drive into town this morning.

traffic was terrible :eek: Looks like you had some snow there too:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

His forecast is solely on the reaction of the Animals on his farm.

The same was said to me down the pub at lunchtime by a farmer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

''Will the snow reach mayo''

the answer is blowing in the wind,
    no need to ask that question
    we are going into full palecentric lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I'm worried that Meath might miss out on all this forecast snow :( In a lot of the radars it looks like it mightn't get more northerly than Dublin. I get excited when I hear about the east of the country getting hit, but is Meath considered more NE?

Guys. the attached may be of use for people concerned about freezing domestic pipes. It's a circular for all councils.

temps going down now. From a high of -3.1c today, its now dropping, -3.5c currently, fog has just cleared as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

i see where the british met office have reduced the area for their warning on sunday and monday! does that effect us? precipitation there doesn't seem to be spreading as north at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

My Great Uncle from Tullow just rang me a few minutes ago and said to me, " son i hope you have plenty of coal and baby food in for Saturday evening, it could be wednesday before you get out again". He is in his late 70's a farmer and his weather forecast's always amazed me, always right and all from looking at birds and tree's and what the Cattle on the farm are up to.

He said the snow will start tomorrow and will not rest till Monday, wonder will he be right, as i said he's a real old wives tales kinda bloke but has never steered me wrong ever. He has no internet and still has a 14inch B+W aerial t.v, just refuses to get with the times. His forecast is solely on the reaction of the Animals on his farm.

I threw out a load of bread and porridge oats today for the birds,not thinking much more about it.

I happened to look out the back window about 10 minutes later and too my amazment i counted 14 birds which included robins and blackbirds and a couple of others i didn't recognise ravishing the oats.

I watched as they loaded up,flew a short distance and came back.

I said to myself,the little buggers are stashing and no better a sign to watch for.

I've fallen victim to the elements with not enough antifreeze in the jeep.big mistake.Was like a scene out of the day after tomorrow when i awoke.very white with freezing fog not allowing visabilty beyond 50 yards.i know its 50 because i had measured a certain Ato B point before.

So what now,do i heed what the birds are unknowingly telling me or is that all pants.

It's kinda looking like a better have just in case warning from Met Eireann as the Hirlam precip model is against us at the moment as well pointed out here.

Im thinking more on the lines of snow showers now that will make inland but not the great event initially thought to rival the greatest of winters.

Nowone can really call it this far out,and when its arrives it'll be all eyes on the radar to see is my house or Johnny down the road who hates the stuff gonna get buried in it.

Anyway i hope i see a heavenly thick blanket settled so delicately to bring an end to the will it/won't it scenario that has plagued me for so long.

naughto wrote: »
    i have to confess that i have the handbreak fairly worn on mine since the start of the snow great fun

Everyones handbrakes on my estate are frozen on! Luckily i parked my car with it in gear and no handbrake!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Paddy Smyth's frozen field in 1982 might just be about to make a comeback :D

Well if that hole closes up then I'm considering paying the local breakers yard a visit where I'm going to buy me a nice BMW bonnet to take off down the hills, although I'd say I'll keep it local enough.
    Otherwise it's the frozen lakes at the back of the sand dunes in Mullagh for me and the kids tomorrow morning.

One way or another, we're going to make the most of this spell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Pete M. wrote: »
    Damn you weather gods!!!

I'm sure you can climb Ben Bulbin.. bound to be some up there!!

redsunset wrote: »
    I threw out a load of bread and porridge oats today for the birds,not thinking much more about it.

I happened to look out the back window about 10 minutes later and too my amazment i counted 14 birds which included robins and blackbirds and a couple of others i didn't recognise ravishing the oats.

I watched as they loaded up,flew a short distance and came back.

I said to myself,the little buggers are stashing and no better a sign to watch for.

I've fallen victim to the elements with not enough antifreeze in the jeep.big mistake.Was like a scene out of the day after tomorrow when i awoke.very white with freezing fog not allowing visabilty beyond 50 yards.i know its 50 because i had measured a certain Ato B point before.

So what now,do i heed what the birds are unknowingly telling me or is that all pants.

It's kinda looking like a better have just in case warning from Met Eireann as the Hirlam precip model is against us at the moment as well pointed out here.

Im thinking more on the lines of snow showers now that will make inland but not the great event initially thought to rival the greatest of winters.

Nowone can really call it this far out,and when its arrives it'll be all eyes on the radar to see is my house or Johnny down the road who hates the stuff gonna get buried in it.

Anyway i hope i see a heavenly thick blanket settled so delicately to bring an end to the will it/won't it scenario that has plagued me for so long.

is there a link to this Hirlam precipitation model?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

''Will the snow reach mayo''

the answer is blowing in the wind,
    no need to ask that question
    we are going into full palecentric lockdown.

'Will the snow reach mayo''

"Maybe with the help of Willie Joe" (has that man been beatified yet, then again we can't pray to him if he's not dead?)

If the Pale shuts down then the West may as well slide off a cliff, we will be totally overlooked.

lATEST GFS
    prectypeuktopo.png
    h850t850eu.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

its funny when it goes quite here, you have the amatuers (me etc) grasping at straws pouncing on any titbit of info (:D) to be found, and then suddenly around 3.55pm (thanks wolfey!) we get loads of good info again, its a goood laugh to watch:P

is there a link to this Hirlam precipitation model?
    CLICK ON NEDBOR
    http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts...

Temperature is just starting to drop again after reaching a high of -2.4

Temperature: -2.5 °C
    Dew Point: -3.6 °C

Sun is still shining just, but it won't be long going. Wonder if it'll get below the low this morning of -10.7.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    lATEST GFS
    prectypeuktopo.png
    h850t850eu.png

Right by Cork looks like sleet at that time:( I freaking hate sleet!:D

Will the snow reach mayo?
    De sno' fo sho, will sno' on Mayo,you kno? :D mo'fo..:)

GFS nearly always gives us what we like to see! if it only was always right...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Sub zero here a full 15 minutes before yesterday! Pity the winds are easaterly, set my low record last night and would probably beat it tonight if the winds were not off the sea.
    Villain's station to set a new Irish record tonight or tomorrow?!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    lATEST GFS
    prectypeuktopo.png

I like the look of that! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement