Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

paulocon wrote: »
    I'm sure you can climb Ben Bulbin.. bound to be some up there!!

There is, but not that much. The seaward sides of both that range and the donegal mountains seems to have cleared quite a bit. There was only a topping on slieve league from where I was looking this morning.
    And besides the mountain rescue is flat out at the mo and I don't want to give them anymore to do.
    As for feeding the birdies, I considered it, but with 3 cats, the only ones who would benefit would be them greedy sods.
    Still bitterly cold here, defo colder than yesterday and the snow on the ground has lost it's 'balliness' to coin a phrase.

its funny when it goes quite here, you have the amatuers (me etc) grasping at straws pouncing on any titbit of info (:D) to be found, and then suddenly around 3.55pm (thanks wolfey!) we get loads of good info again, its a goood laugh to watch:P

Same here total Amateur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    Some pics from drive into town this morning.

Finglas-South, hence the bent and burned railings
    101536.jpg

101537.jpg

101538.jpg

I slid into those railings this morning that you are showing on your second picture. I broke too hard, slipped right out into the middle of the road and straight into the fence. Took me 15 minutes to get the car turned and back on the road !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

WolfeIRE wrote: »

it stops at sunday at 1pm? hmm just when it starts to get interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

snaps wrote: »
    Everyones handbrakes on my estate are frozen on! Luckily i parked my car with it in gear and no handbrake!
    mine is deliberate though any chance i get iam going sideways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Just wondering folks is there any showers expected or showing on any of your radars, black clouds starting to move in over the house and small bits of the White stuff starting to fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Pete M. wrote: »
    There is, but not that much. The seaward sides of both that range and the donegal mountains seems to have cleared quite a bit. There was only a topping on slieve league from where I was looking this morning.
    And besides the mountain rescue is flat out at the mo and I don't want to give them anymore to do.
    As for feeding the birdies, I considered it, but with 3 cats, the only ones who would benefit would be them greedy sods.
    Still bitterly cold here, defo colder than yesterday and the snow on the ground has lost it's 'balliness' to coin a phrase.

Ben Bulbin ain't a mountain, it's a national icon.. at least that's what I was told!!

Put it this way.. when the snow goes in Dublin, people can go back to the drudgery of retail parks and mickey d's while you can spend your freetime walking Slieve League, Ben Bulbin et. al. I know where I'd rather be, snow or no snow!

I flippin' love snow all the same!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just wondering folks is there any showers expected or showing on any of your radars, black clouds starting to move in over the house and small bits of the White stuff starting to fall.

Freezing fog or diamond dust maybe - no showers around. The fog rolling in during the day can look like a very dark cloud.

Supercell wrote: »
    At this time of year my temps start to plummet around 15:00. By 16:00 they wil be sub zero again no doubt from a high of 3.3°C at 13:58
    Isn't it gas with all your snow cover,height above sea level,miles inland,proximity to mountains etc that you were warmer than sandyford at docarch's location today and Dublin airport.
    I got to plus 4c with deep snow cover [though not a quart of yours obviously].

I'd agree fully,they start dropping like a stone here too at about 3pm.
    Down .4 of a degree since starting to reply to this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

looking at the latest charts (GFS etc...) I expect 1-3 cm in Dublin tomorrow morning...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

We need some way of Manually hiding the sun !! Its melting the precious Snow . N:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Isn't it gas with all your snow cover,height above sea level,miles inland,proximity to mountains etc that you were warmer than sandyford at docarch's location today and Dublin airport.

-1.8c here now and the sun still hitting the very top of the roofs. Getting a little misty.

Make that -1.9c

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Freezing fog or diamond dust maybe - no showers around. The fog rolling in during the day can look like a very dark cloud.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Just had a quick look at this radar what do you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

To paulocon;

I ain't knocking where I am at all, would rather be no where else in the world, but a foot or two of snow would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

We need some way of Manually hiding the sun !! Its melting the precious Snow . N:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
    simpsons-sun-744577.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

snow and ice beggining to melt in D15 with the sun :) brilliant, about f*cking time , im sick of this !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

good old mr burns!, by the way its getting very very foggy in galway city now, can normally see city barely see it im only about 200 metres away...

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Just had a quick look at this radar what do you think.

Yes saw that earlier but if you look at satellite pics, there is no cloud - I wouldn't necessarily say its anaprop (a false echo) - probably picking up on the denser patches of fog.

-2.0c here now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

GFS showing an almighty battle between the colder airmass and the atlantic from Monday afternoon. The Atlantic makes ground into the southwest on Monday eve and Tuesday with any snow turning to sleet or rain. Further north and east the snow is still falling!

all of this to be taken with a pinch of salt at this stage (actually don't, we need the salt)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,480 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Yep, I suppose with all the hills and slopes the chilled air cant sit around anywhere for long. Though as compensation I get more snow before and after those with the lower cold which is just shallow cold rather than real cold like here :D
    I suppose thats also why fog is extremely rare here, have only seen mist once or twice, never proper fog.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Yes say that earlier but if you look at satellite pics, there is no cloud - I wouldn't necessarily say its anaprop (a false echo) - probably picking up on the denser patches of fog.

-2.0c here now.

How far from you would i be, my location is the Kiltipper Road, just to get an idea of Temp and DP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

This cold is getting to be a bit of a nuisance at this stage - I went to all of the trouble last few days of fabricating a large marine plywood insulated box (with about 5" of rockwool) to put over my outdoor Calor gas cylinder that we use for our hob and it hasn't made one bit of difference - every time we want to turn on the hob, the gas is frozen and the only thing that works is a kettle of boiling water over the top of the cylinder :mad:.

Anyone got any tips for frozen gas (water pipes still OK fortunately)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 aidan_mc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

aidan_mc wrote: »

Is that not just repeating whats been on RTE all day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 aidan_mc

Is that not just repeating whats been on RTE all day?

haven't seen rte

How far from you would i be, my location is the Kiltipper Road, just to get an idea of Temp and DP

Probably about 4 miles or so? Possibly Casement is nearer to you or there is a member of IWN - http://www.irelandsweather.com/ - with a station in Saggart which is probably closer to you still (different cliamte there!).

-2.4c here now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

0.7 here,first time above freezing in two days,going to plummet shortly.

on another note went to the supermarket for a few thing's and there's chaos.
    all out of milk :eek: most shelve's half empty and the place is packed,cars double parked all the way down my estate,going to be serious backlash at met.ie if this "event" doesnt happen.

jambofc wrote: »
    0.7 here,first time above freezing in two days,going to plummet shortly.

on another note went to the supermarket for a few thing's and there's chaos.
    all out of milk :eek: most shelve's half empty and the place is packed,cars double parked all the way down my estate,going to be serious backlash at met.ie if this "event" doesnt happen.

The wife said earlier there was a serious lack of bread and milk in Superquinn. I'd be stocking up on wine, dry-roasted peanuts, kenco and kit-kats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

-2.6 here now outside rosenallis. Pipes are all frozen , had to pull the matress up into the sitting room last night beside the stove.Windows in the bedroom had ice forming on the inside !! Oh the joys of living in a mobile home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement