Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

pvt.joker wrote: »
    snow and ice beggining to melt in D15 with the sun :) brilliant, about f*cking time , im sick of this !

It'll all freeze into sheet ice as soon as the sun goes and the temperature plummets! You'll be wishing the snow had hung around - you could at least walk on that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

went for a walk down the royal canal in leixlip.pics are from an iphone so it doesnt do it justice but it really is worth getting out for a walk folks if you have any parks/rivers near you. on a more worrying note seen two teenagers walking on the ice!

IMG_0070.jpg
    IMG_0071.jpg
    IMG_0072.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0076.jpg
    hard to make out but massive icicles have fromed on the trees where the water splashes up
    IMG_0077.jpg
    was very eerie walking along
    IMG_0079.jpg
    happy dog!
    IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0082.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

i do think the high pressure will win out it is well established and the lows will weaken as they progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Aye the parents just rang there, said get water, bread etc, its flying off the shelves they say in dunnes, I think snow or no snow unless temps change soon people realise the mad max situation of the possibly that the roads untreated in many parts of the country with severe weather on the way, could lead to chaos, through in then councils saying they will turn off water, its could be mad,:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

DOCARCH wrote: »
    The wife said earlier there was a serious lack of bread and milk in Superquinn. I'd be stocking up on wine, dry-roasted peanuts, kenco and kit-kats.

Twix's & Tea FTW

Shops are still reasonably stocked up my way - at they were yesterday anyway.

Still nice and clear in D2, and feels warmer than this morning, though its gonna drop fairly soon.

Anyone have any predictions on what tonight may have in store for Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 anon a moose

vizualpics wrote: »
    Just reading about the snow of 47', in 1946 they had a really bad summer, rained all summer and most of the crops were lost in the autumn, the first snow came at the end of October but cleared again, then there was snow in early Jan and the rest of the month was sunny but frosty but the snow never left the ground, then it started right in February and continued until mid march, with most places covered in metres of snow on St.Patricks Day...As far as I know it was an easterly wind and a depression from the atlantic that covered the whole country...Any coincidences I wonder?

Do you know if the snow of '47 was what was later referred to as 'the Big Snow'? My Mum used to talk about it and how the snow was on the ground until May (?). The sheep in fields were invisible save for the air-holes generated by their nostrils! And to this day if you went out the door well-wrapped up when the weather didn't necessitate it, you'd be told 'it isn't the big snow outside' !!

lovely dog df:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

ESKIMO....Dromahaid is about to be invaded by young eager lads from the Curragh

3:50pm: Leitrim County Council says the Army will be deployed from tomorrow (Saturday) to grit foothpaths initially and then assist with gritting in rural areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Well a gorgeous day here by the sea in D3

Im off home to Naas now to see my lovely snow that I last saw too may hours ago !

My plan for tonight:

1. Tuck into the snow beer supply

2. Watch Inglorious Bastards (additional beers)

3. More snow beers

4. Watch Hurt Locker (additional beers)

5. Drunkenly think the blizzard has hit early

6. Fall over

:D

Later all !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Probably about 4 miles or so? Possibly Casement is nearer to you or there is a member of IWN - http://www.irelandsweather.com/ - with a station in Saggart which is probably closer to you still (different cliamte there!).

-2.4c here now.

Cheers for that link, i'm less than a mile to Saggart, temp is -4.6 and dewpoint is -5.2. Snow is still ankle deep in my estate and driving is a big no-no.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Twix's & Tea FTW

Shops are still reasonably stocked up my way - at they were yesterday anyway.

Still nice and clear in D2, and feels warmer than this morning, though its gonna drop fairly soon.

Anyone have any predictions on what tonight may have in store for Dublin?

I think it's going to be calm and cold. Showers (will hopefully) get going again around dawn.

-2.6c here now. A fall of 2.5c in 1hour 10minutes

About time the army are used, saw people falling arse over tit today in galway,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

tem is -6.4c here already really cold imagine it may get to -15c tonight!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Anybody looking to watch for low temps should look at http://www.carlowweather.com/

-17.7c last night and -16.1c the night before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Do you know if the snow of '47 was what was later referred to as 'the Big Snow'? My Mum used to talk about it and how the snow was on the ground until May (?). The sheep in fields were invisible save for the air-holes generated by their nostrils! And to this day if you went out the door well-wrapped up when the weather didn't necessitate it, you'd be told 'it isn't the big snow outside' !!

Yup, 1947 is still well remembered down the west, what we are experiencing now pales in comparison - 6 to 8 weeks of snow and ice with 12' high drifts and total shutdown of all movement.

I remember personally having to search for sheep buried in snow drifts (yes, only visible by their air holes) back in 1982, severe winters have been known to occur in this country before (not that our authorities seen to taken much notice).

It really does feel sometimes that we have returned to the '80's the last year or so (recession, emigration, nasty budgets, cutbacks and now snow).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭rameire

Athy current temo is -3.5c
    clear sky
    sun about to disappear over the horizon.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

This winter so far has relatively little snow when compared with '47 or even '82.
    It really does feel sometimes that we have returned to the '80's the last year or so (recession, emigration, nasty budgets, cutbacks and now snow).

On the positive side, Horslips are back!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

rameire wrote: »
    Athy current temo is -3.5c
    clear sky
    sun about to disappear over the horizon.

are you serious the sun disapered over the horizon here 40 minutes ago isnt it only ment to be a couple of minutes between north-south:confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Whoever spoke of melt in D15 - it's only in 'the usual places'. On rooves. On tree branches.

We had the same kind of melt in between the previous snows in this spell.

But the stuff on the ground ain't going nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

owenc wrote: »
    are you serious the sun disapered over the horizon here 40 minutes ago isnt it only ment to be a couple of minutes between north-south:confused::confused:

Depends on the height of your horizon, maybe you're looking at higher ground/mountains to your west.

• Advertisement

Here are some snow accumulation charts from the latest GEFS run.WARNING: A change of underpants may be required after reading this.

Monday (midday)
    http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/2010/01/08/basis12/ukuk/weas/10011112_0812.gif

Wed (midday)
    http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/2010/01/08/basis12/ukuk/weas/10011318_0812.gif

Thur (midnight)
    http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/2010/01/08/basis12/ukuk/weas/10011400_0812.gif

GEFS is normally as excitable as a three year old with a can of coke and bag of skittles, but it is not dramatically different from many other models. Oh the tension!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Pete M. wrote: »
    To paulocon;

I ain't knocking where I am at all, would rather be no where else in the world, but a foot or two of snow would be nice.

I know that, only pulling your leg... Superb location and one I can't wait to get across to come the summer.. been meaning to climb Ben Bulbin for some time now..

owenc wrote: »

The day-night terminator doesn't run exactly north/south as you can see from this sat image.

The sun is so low during winter as well that any local hills or elevated ground casts very long shadows that can bring a premature sundown to many places.

?area=europe;type=visible;width=650;height=650;time=2010-01-08T15:45:11Z;authkey=RwbUlORyX;

• Registered Users Posts: 4 anon a moose

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Yup, 1947 is still well remembered down the west, what we are experiencing now pales in comparison - 6 to 8 weeks of snow and ice with 12' high drifts and total shutdown of all movement.

I remember personally having to search for sheep buried in snow drifts (yes, only visible by their air holes) back in 1982, severe winters have been known to occur in this country before (not that our authorities seen to taken much notice).

Thanks MayoForSam. Alot of people I've talked to had never heard of it, it's good to get the clarification.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Here are some snow accumulation charts from the latest GEFS run.WARNING: A change of underpants may be required after reading this.

Monday (midday)
    http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/2010/01/08/basis12/ukuk/weas/10011112_0812.gif

Wed (midday)
    http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/2010/01/08/basis12/ukuk/weas/10011318_0812.gif

Thur (midnight)
    http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/2010/01/08/basis12/ukuk/weas/10011400_0812.gif

GEFS is normally as excitable as a three year old with a can of coke and bag of skittles, but it is not dramatically different from many other models. Oh the tension!!!

Do not like that! Look at the east....boo.

-3.0c now.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

-3.8 now , falling rapidly. Another night of sleeping in the sitting room for me anyways.

Do not like that! Look at the east....boo.

-3.0c now.
    DOCARCH...there will subtle changes with every run. I presume your underpants are not in need of changing after that so?

I though they had taken the blue ones out that has most of the E numbers :D

If those charts come off, then it will be 1982 all over again (1947 or 1963 would require another week like that).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Monday (midday)

Wed (midday)

Thur (midnight)

oh that looks very good!!! the bbc have a big blob of snow over the South on Tuesday evening. many here think it will be rain but who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

rossy00 wrote: »
    the best way round this is to leave an electric heater on in the attic and checking on it every coupe of hours. leaving the hatch open and the heating on isnt a great idea ya may just throw your money in the fire all you'll end up with is a cold house and a cold attic.

Better that than a house fire... :P

I didnt have an option.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement