Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

courtesy of met.ie

08 January 2010 16:18

Today Tonight will be dry and calm and exceptionally cold with a widespread very severe frost and freezing fog. Lowest air temperatures -4 to -12 degrees. Some scattered snow showers will affect the east coast around daybreak.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

Tomorrow will be very cold again with ice persisting in many areas. Some patches of freezing fog also. After a sunny start generally, snow showers will spread from the east during the day. Highest temperatures of -3 to +3 degrees.

Outlook

The wintry cold spell will continue for the foreseeable future. Apart from a few snow showers near east and south coasts, Saturday night will be dry, but very cold with severe frost and ice. Sunday will be cold and mostly cloudy with occasional sleet and snow showers in the south and east, giving accumulations in places. Monday will be very cold again. It'll be a mostly cloudy day with frequent showers of sleet and snow in a strong easterly wind. Significant accumulations will occur and drifting is possible due to strong easterly winds. Apart from a few snow showers, Tuesday will be mostly dry but very cold in a strong east to southeast wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

hello all, had a small walk there now, really nice weather,

reckon were going to get some!!

The old people used to to say the new snow will come to bring the old snow,

n.b. the snow that fell on the 20th of dec is still around!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

We could see the all-time record broken in Carlow tonight - currently -10.3C and dropping fast (5.6C colder than the same time yesterday).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Do not like that! Look at the east....boo.

-3.0c now.

Down with that sort of thing,
    Just home from leixlip big change in temp, car said -3.5 in leixlip and -.5 in Ballinteer just shows the difference a few miles inland can make

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

roryc1 wrote: »
    Down with that sort of thing,
    Just home from leixlip big change in temp, car said -3.5 in leixlip and -.5 in Ballinteer just shows the difference a few miles inland can make

Where in Ballinteer are you? -3.3c here now (I'm just opposite Marley Park).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Mmmm, something up with Dublin Airport ? Its reporting its dp as 45C Surely wrong !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

oh that looks very good!!! the bbc have a big blob of snow over the South on Tuesday evening. many here think it will be rain but who knows.

if su campu is correct it will be. no offense intended to him but wouldn't it be great if he was wrong- at least by a day or two. i think i'm going to have withdrawal symptoms once this cold ends:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

MayoForSam wrote: »
    We could see the all-time record broken in Carlow tonight - currently -10.3C and dropping fast (5.6C colder than the same time yesterday).
    When is the easterly breeze picking up?
    It will have to remain completely calm like it is at the moment before we can get the record books out!
    -19C in 1881 is the all time record I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    courtesy of met.ie

08 January 2010 16:18

Today Tonight will be dry and calm and exceptionally cold with a widespread very severe frost and freezing fog. Lowest air temperatures -4 to -12 degrees. Some scattered snow showers will affect the east coast around daybreak.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

Tomorrow will be very cold again with ice persisting in many areas. Some patches of freezing fog also. After a sunny start generally, snow showers will spread from the east during the day. Highest temperatures of -3 to +3 degrees.

Outlook

The wintry cold spell will continue for the foreseeable future. Apart from a few snow showers near east and south coasts, Saturday night will be dry, but very cold with severe frost and ice. Sunday will be cold and mostly cloudy with occasional sleet and snow showers in the south and east, giving accumulations in places. Monday will be very cold again. It'll be a mostly cloudy day with frequent showers of sleet and snow in a strong easterly wind. Significant accumulations will occur and drifting is possible due to strong easterly winds. Apart from a few snow showers, Tuesday will be mostly dry but very cold in a strong east to southeast wind.

there they are those magical words!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

-5.1C here in Old Kilcullen and dropping rapidly (changed since I started writing this); fog on one side of the house (on a hill) but can still see clear sky and sunset from other side. Photo here from the first drive out earlier today into Kilcullen since Sunday for supplies:
    4256376071_e40c62215d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Jeeze temps falling off a cliff tonight here by local standards. Down to -3.4°C from 3.1°C under two hours ago!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Breaking News

Weather forecasters say the UK's cold snap is set to continue into the weekend with heavy snow expected in southern England and across Ireland.

Freezing temperatures are forecast for nearly all areas - ice presenting treacherous conditions on roads and pavements as many councils run short of grit.

Sky News weather presenter Lucy Verasamy says: "Saturday is looking like a repeat of today, with conditions likely to deteriorate on Sunday when the south of England - and particularly East Anglia - expected to be hit very hard.

"In addition, the biting east wind from Siberia is making conditions exceptionally raw.

"What's different about this year is that it's so cold, with temperatures at freezing or less during the day and, at night, even as low as -18C in some places.

"That means that the snow isn't melting; it compacts instead and then we're left with treacherously icy conditions.

"As far as we can see at the moment, the snow's not going anywhere."

While Verasamy says weather forecasters are reluctant to predict too far ahead the Met Office at this stage agrees on the forecast.

It currently expects to see heavy snow showers on Saturday, leading to icy stretches on roads and pavements, with a "potential for further outbreaks of snow on Sunday, which could become heavy and prolonged at times, especially in the south".

And for those who are looking forward to a bit of a thaw, there is still more bad news, with the cold snap forecast to continue until the middle of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

if su campu is correct it will be. no offense intended to him but wouldn't it be great if he was wrong- at least by a day or two. i think i'm going to have withdrawal symptoms once this cold ends:o

yes it would - over on NW forum they reckon no end to this cold snap as yet which is as per british met office. atlantic makes attempts but gets beaten by the beast to the east!

Where in Ballinteer are you? -3.3c here now (I'm just opposite Marley Park).[/QUOTE

Next to Wesley College, I have been relying on your temp reports to keep me up to date, cant really trust the car, but it did say -9 in leixlip at 10 am :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

-4.2 for me now , ive never seen temps drop this fast. Really getting good use out of the missus' Comark C26 http://www.comarkltd.com/product.tpl?product_id=394

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Bat O'Keefe just announced that ALL schools are to stay closed until next Thursday at least...lucky feckers :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

-10.9c already come on we can break that -19.1c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

4.46pm: Minister for Education Batt O'Keeffe has ordered that the country's 4,000 national and secondary schools are to remain closed on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of next week.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

roryc1 wrote: »
    Where in Ballinteer are you? -3.3c here now (I'm just opposite Marley Park).[/QUOTE

Next to Wesley College, I have been relying on your temp reports to keep me up to date, cant really trust the car, but it did say -9 in leixlip at 10 am :eek:

Could have been -0.5c wherever your thermometer is on your car, but would I wouldn't go by that (especially after a dirve).

-3.6c now, could be colder here than last night (-7.2c) at this rate!

i find this to be a good site, just type in your location..very accuarate so far.

http://www.yr.no/

anyone else use this before or find it useful?

• Advertisement

Villain wrote: »

The one to watch!

I can't believe the mejah are happy quote NRA stations but do not mention yours (last nights temp of -17.7c)?

Very well done on Gerry Ryan btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

Bat O'Keefe just announced that ALL schools are to stay closed until next Thursday at least...lucky feckers :eek:

What schools , I mean across the whole country?

Villain wrote: »

Well done on the Radio intreview, and you got the IWN plug in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

The Ice Cream Man is outside!!! how mad is that??:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    4.46pm: Minister for Education Batt O'Keeffe has ordered that the country's 4,000 national and secondary schools are to remain closed on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of next week.

ugh is that happening in ni too!:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

nifheorais wrote: »
    What schools , I mean across the whole country?

yep

owenc wrote: »
    ugh is that happening in ni too!:mad::mad::mad:

i don't think batt has that power yet!

Johnny1999 wrote: »
    The Ice Cream Man is outside!!! how mad is that??:D

Send him up to me I will have a 99 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

yep
    Where did you get this info?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

nifheorais wrote: »
    Where did you get this info?

yea were did you get this from im searching all the irish news channels and i cannot find anything probably a joke......:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement