Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

-13.0c in Tullow. Has he got the sensor in his freezer?

-4.3c here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

-5c at 1700hrs Dublin Airport.

Gonna be a cold one methinks, record is -10

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

If Batt O' Keefe is ORDERING the schools to remain closed until next Thursday that tells me that this is going to be BAD!!.....:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

Winger_PL wrote: »
    It's been posted a bunch of times already, there's actually a separate thread with a high-resolution version. Still, every time I see this picture I'm equally amazed... Would love to see one with full ROI whiteout and no cloud cover :-)

there ya go dec 2000

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

leahyl wrote: »
    If Batt O' Keefe is ORDERING the schools to remain closed until next Thursday that tells me that this is going to be BAD!!.....:eek:

That or Met E will be in to doo doo!

-4.4c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

-5 here now in Buncrana and it feels every bit of it but alas there is a puplic house with a lovely open fire not far from me and there is where I'm headed now. I'll post something funny later with a few in me no doubt :D . Please god don't let it be about me falling ..... Happy weather watching ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

temp in carlow is dropping like mad, dropped 0.5 in about 10mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Anybody from Laois here. There has been precip over the middle part of the county for the two hours

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

surely that is a mistake or its a mountain top (fossy mtn) bouncing back an image

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Picture of the particles/crystals in the freezing fog :)

101563.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

What you are doing is fine; it is usually the pipes that are frozen, not the gas.

A thick old sack atop at night can help... But the water works best. Wrap the pipes and wrap it up so the air cannot get at it
    MayoForSam wrote: »
    This cold is getting to be a bit of a nuisance at this stage - I went to all of the trouble last few days of fabricating a large marine plywood insulated box (with about 5" of rockwool) to put over my outdoor Calor gas cylinder that we use for our hob and it hasn't made one bit of difference - every time we want to turn on the hob, the gas is frozen and the only thing that works is a kettle of boiling water over the top of the cylinder :mad:.

Anyone got any tips for frozen gas (water pipes still OK fortunately)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

temp in carlow is dropping like mad, dropped 0.5 in about 10mins

Come on Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Anybody from Laois here. There has been precip over the middle part of the county for the two hours

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

surely that is a mistake or its a mountain top (fossy mtn) bouncing back an image

Yeah that has to be a radar anaprop

Ah cool! My workmate was saying that she was coming in the straight road (in Cork) this morning and that all the trees lining the road were covered in light dusting of snow and the road was just white - like a postcard! Would love a pic of it:)

Rougies wrote: »
    Yeah that has to be a radar anaprop

and/or radar is picking up the diamond dust as pictured by pistolpetes.

-4.5c

As graphics go...this is very tasty from ME

nat-today.gif
    nat-tomorrow.gif

Did you see the winking weatherman on the news there! Obv telling the government what's on the way;)!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Jaysus, what a forecast by Evelyn Cusack on the wireless a few mins ago.
    Was she taking the pi**? I expected her to say at the end of the forecast
    " ha ha, only jokin"

Jaysus, what a forecast by Evelyn Cusack on the wireless a few mins ago.
    Was she taking the pi**? I expected her to say at the end of the forecast
    " ha ha, only jokin"

Really? What did she say exactly?! I need it all word for word (!):D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Really? What did she say exactly?! I need it all word for word (!):D
    snow snow snow

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

RTE news had someone slipping on the ice.

I laughed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭PistolPete78

:eek:jeasus... yer man took some hopper on the news.... icy footpaths...

OUCH!!!!

Did you see the winking weatherman on the news there! Obv telling the government what's on the way;)!

or he has a twitch.

Look at this GFS chart for europe next Thursday (snow accumulation)
    http://theweatheroutlook.com/twodata/gfs/12_132_snowdepth.png

Wouldn't say it is the most reliable source at this stage but it is impressive.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    RTE news had someone slipping on the ice.

I laughed.

Ya i was in the kitchen and my mum was watching the tv and all of a sudden i hear my mum "JESUS CHRIST"! She was in stitches!:D Not very funny if it happens to you obv....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

:eek:jeasus... yer man took some hopper on the news.... icy footpaths...

OUCH!!!!

He really creamed himself, he was walking very fast though! I really felt it when he smacked his head ouch!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I see Paul has changed his Hat for tonights report :D:D:D

Nearly 1500 people on the Facebook page too

http://www.facebook.com/pages/We-love-Paul-Cunninghams-winter-hat/240592949010?v=wall

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

-13.7 in calow, hell thats cold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

did someone in RTE just praise govt for showing leadership for closing schools till thursday?

Paul's hat not so impressive tonight :(
    attachment.php?attachmentid=101564&stc=1&d=1262974442

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

that fall on the news looked sore.rte taking inspiration from english news???????

sorry but this one is just funny....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv4Ya0XZLi4

• Advertisement

I see Paul has changed his Hat for tonights report :D:D:D

Thank God! I mean that was utterly ridiculous last night!:D And i said it too - why didn't he wear a beanie and he took my advice it seems:)!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement