Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

gally74 wrote: »
    the BBC forcast was bad for Sunday!!!!! snow all over ireland[/QUOTE

don't you mean good?!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Met.ie are caught between a rock and a hard place.
    They have been asked to make a call on this so the authorities can prepare. If it IS a big snow event then they will have to answer why they didn't warn of it.
    Imho even if its 30:70 for the snow i would make a snow prediction in these circumstances.
    Here its probably gonna be snow if there is precip and i'll prepare accordingly. I'll be fine as long as i have power, frankly i'm fupped if the power goes.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

BBChave significant snow for South west on tuedsya night too,

gally74 wrote: »
    BBChave significant snow for South west on tuedsya night too,

Yes actually what does it look like beyond Tuesday at this point taking into account that it will more than likely change significantly in the meantime of course:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Yes, the newspapers are right: snow is general all over Ireland. It is falling on every part of the dark central plain, on the treeless hills, falling softly upon the Bog of Allen and, farther westward, softly falling into the dark mutinous Shannon waves ;)

• Advertisement

Snow in a line below sligo to dundalk, heavuer as you go south,

monday morning driving will be a mess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Supercell wrote: »
    Met.ie are caught between a rock and a hard place.
    They have been asked to make a call on this so the authorities can prepare. If it IS a big snow event then they will have to answer why they didn't warn of it.
    Imho even if its 30:70 for the snow i would make a snow prediction in these circumstances.
    Here its probably gonna be snow if there is precip and i'll prepare accordingly. I'll be fine as long as i have power, frankly i'm fupped if the power goes.
    Are the ESB able to cope with a snow event?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Whats that in the bottom left hand corner- Independence day!

WEB_sat_vis_eur.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

leahyl wrote: »
    THE EAGLE HAS LANDED - that is all i have to say...oh and also WOOHOO!!:D

The last time that phrase was used (polar low thread) absolutly zilch happened.

So if it doesn't snow ...it's your fault :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Bond-007 wrote: »

I think they have upgraded a large amount of their main lines in recent years, which can cope with snow fall's. Same goes for Eircom, but they are already having issues now with thousands cut off around the country.
    1.19pm Eircom said service disruption has been caused to its network. Just over 8,000 faults have already been cleared this week alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

wicklowdub wrote: »
    Whats that in the bottom left hand corner- Independence day!
    oil slick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Rougies wrote: »
    I don't care what the BBC or Sky News say. They don't care about us and don't focus on giving an accurate forecast for here.

fair enough! still i usually find them good enough in their graphics if they believe it will snow here. sky i don't pay much attention to. still bbc have to pay some attention to this island given their links with the north!

i useually use accuweather for a genral forcast, up untill today they had the system breaking down next wednesday, however this is now being pushed out.

the ground is so cold, some land must be frozen 30-40 cm below, it ill take a while to thaw this out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Holy shmoly - already -10.8 Monaghan, -10.6 Baltinglass just before 7pm.

If those winds move around from the North or East for other places :eek:

http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭PistolPete78

a bit early perhaps but would any of ye guys hazzard a guess at a Snowfall Map for the country??

Winner gets a Paul Cunningham replica winter hat..:D:D

peasant wrote: »
    The last time that phrase was used (polar low thread) absolutly zilch happened.

So if it doesn't snow ...it's your fault :D

Ah polar schmolar!:D It'll happen!! This time i have faith in the Eagle! And he never said that the polar low WOULD amount to anything now did he - i'm sure he said that "it probably wouldn't"!! BUT with this one he is sure - you GO Eagle:D!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

fair enough! still i usually find them good enough in their graphics if they believe it will snow here. sky i don't pay much attention to. still bbc have to pay some attention to this island given their links with the north!

Yeah, don't get me wrong. They give a good general forecast for Ireland, just lacking on the details Met Eireann give, which is understandable. I'm not knocking them, I just tend not to pay too much attention to their forecasts for here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Bond-007 wrote: »

The power line posts were all replaced here in the last year strangely enough.
    There are high tension lines across the estate I live in so I am hopeful.

My biggest worry is that something similar happens like last February - there was about a foot of snow then too but it was heavy slushy stuff and limited to the higher areas.
    A tree branch snapped under the weight of snow and broke a power line. Was only about 4 hours without snow then which was impressive but pretty scary.

If Sunday happens, here will not be accessible and if a branch breaks a power line it could be days before its fixed this time.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    The power line posts were all replaced here in the last year strangely enough.
    There are high tension lines across the estate I live in so I am hopeful.

My biggest worry is that something similar happens like last February - there was about a foot of snow then too but it was heavy slushy stuff and limited to the higher areas.
    A tree branch snapped under the weight of snow and broke a power line. Was only about 4 hours without snow then which was impressive but pretty scary.

If Sunday happens, here will not be accessible and if a branch breaks a power line it could be days before its fixed this time.

Lol Supercell! :D:D:D
    You need to take a break man!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

Why is met.ie showing precip over Laois , rosenallis for the last few hours. Im just 4km outside rosenallis and there is nothing happening , apart from it being -8.2

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Why is everyone saying its going to cover every inch of Ireland? Forecasts from all directions state otherwise. About 60% of the country is going to get a covering from what I see

Pokes wrote: »
    Why is met.ie showing precip over Laois , rosenallis for the last few hours. Im just 4km outside rosenallis and there is nothing happening , apart from it being -8.2

Freeeeezing Fog

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

No fog here yet anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

That blob mysteriously appeared on the same spot on the radar earlier today.
    The plot thickens...
    Pokes wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

-7.2C here already.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

Latest weather alert just in:

Temps due to rise into the mid 30's in june and expected to last until late September.
    Met saying Ireland should be fully thawed out by the end of August.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Is the reading in Carlow on the way back up 14.2 now was 14.7

I see RTE news have a pic of the hat master on their live update page. As if to say...yeah, we got him a new hat, look! :)

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0108/live_weather_transport_updates.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

OMG i can't believe that just when I am about to hand back my rollercoaster ticket, my new best friend Gerry announces snow for Leitirim!!!!:D

...Eskimocat drags hope back outta from underneath the bed, adjusts neck strain collar in prep against the constant computer screen to velux window whiplash...have stocked up the cubboards and got extra food for the birds....

Okay ready now... and that prob means that Dromahair is safe from any snow and that it will all fall in Manorhamilton Again... lol;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

The Breaking News on Sky has just announced two lads rescued from a frozen lake have died,

Take care people and stay off the frozen water ,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement