Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

The Breaking News on Sky has just announced two lads rescued from a frozen lake have died,

Take care people and stay off the frozen water ,

+1

Don't get carried away, its a bit of snow and cold, doesn't mean the usual dangers with water etc. are gone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The Breaking News on Sky has just announced two lads rescued from a frozen lake have died,

God almighty when will people listen?:( A young fella fell into through the ice on the lough in Cork today:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

God help their families

After what we were discussing with Owen last night too..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

leahyl wrote: »
    God almighty when will people listen?:( A young fella fell into through the ice on the lough in Cork today:rolleyes:

young people see little danger despite all the warnings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Doyler1981

Its funny that for the last few days most people in here has been giving out about ME, BBC & Sky forecast not being reliable, but now that they are showing what people want to see they are the best thing since sliced bread!! I hope they are right this time, surely MTs forecast has to have put some doubt into things.

Metcheck how do you see this one playing out you've been spot on so far??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

leahyl wrote: »

Its not only themselves that they are endangering ,

What about the rescue services ? Or even a passer by that try's to help them.

-6.7 in Newbridge at the moment

DP -7.9

N7 Newbridge -7.8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

there was a pleb spotted pushing someone in a wheelchair on a fozen lake in virginia cavan yesterday :eek:, jayus

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

See
    http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/ireland/charities-team-up-to-aid-elderly-in-cold-weather-441213.html

Good old V de P....

That is a great step. When I called various places y'day re meds, there was nothing in place.

The meds came by post today..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

duckysauce wrote: »
    there was a pleb spotted pushing someone in a wheelchair on a fozen lake in virginia cavan yesterday :eek:, jayus
    same thing exactly in tramore in waterford!

Its not only themselves that they are endangering ,

What about the rescue services ? Or even a passer by that try's to help them.

-6.7 in Newbridge at the moment

DP -7.9

N7 Newbridge -7.8

I know i agree with you completely that's what i'm saying:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

holy shmokes... -12 tonight and it's going to last till the next 10 day's with alot more snow. running out of grit and salt as well. well if this all happens the economy will have to go on holiday for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

DP out on M2 bouy is -4.1 :D & I see the MET have us due snow in the morning

Weather Warning

Bitterly cold, icy conditions countrywide over the weekend with freezing fog lingering in places today and becoming widespread again tonight.

Some falls of hail and snow expected in eastern counties on Saturday, with a more prolonged spell of snow during the morning and accumulations of 2 to 5cm likely. The rest of the country will probably escape with just scattered snow showers.

Another spell of snow will affect mainly Leinster and Munster during Sunday and Monday with falls of 5 to 10 cm expected ( highest in eastern and southeastern counties). Strong easterly winds will lead to drifting.

Happy days - loads more ladyboy snowmen :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

My aunt, who lives in west clare, said a heap of kids were on go-karts on a local lake, which is known to have springs in it, and very patchy ice. The guards had to be called to get them off, and even still they wouldn't because the guards were afraid to walk accross the lake to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Is this going to be a Sunday evening/night event or Monday event?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭onq

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Guys. the attached may be of use for people concerned about freezing domestic pipes. It's a circular for all councils.

Cheers. Printed. Ta.

ONQ.

malman wrote: »
    Is this going to be a Sunday evening/night event or Monday event?

both as far as i can see!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 siobhancoyle

does anyone know if 3rd level ITs and Uni's will be closed seen that
    ''All national and secondary schools are to remain closed until Thursday 14 January''

Ive got exams next week and I dont want to waste the weekend studying for Mondays topic if it isnt going ahead.....AND I havent a clue how Im going to get to it...I cant even get out of my estate at the minute!!!

Anyone know if the colleges will be closed?

sorry tried to create a seperate thread but it wont let me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Currently -11.5 in Monaghan, -12.5 in Baltinglass :eek:

Road temps currently -9.6 :eek:

And it's still only 8pm :eek:

http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

DIT and IT Tallaght have cancelled all exams for Monday.

Those of you taking the kids out to play on iced up lakes, take heed. Once you go under that water you wont come back alive, most likely.
    Just not worth the risk.

• Advertisement

''All national and secondary schools are to remain closed until Thursday 14 January''

Ive got exams next week and I dont want to waste the weekend studying for Mondays topic if it isnt going ahead.....AND I havent a clue how Im going to get to it...I cant even get out of my estate at the minute!!!

No Universities aren't closed as far as i know.....yet! UCC isn't anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

If your based in the East or South widespread disruption looks inevitable for Monday.

nothing unusual happening at the moment...

image.ashx?country=gb&type=slide&time=&index=1&sat=

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

just the waiting game now!!!

images.aspx?jaar=-3&voor=&soort=loop3uur&c=&n=&tijdid=201018212

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Good Evening Everyone,

The following is an analysis of the potential snowfall event, indicated as developing later on Sunday & into Monday.

Synopsis & Evolution

Confidence & Risk 65% - 70%

At present, a slack Easterly airflow covers Ireland. An Anticylone of 1035mb in intensity, continues to strengthen over Scandinavia.

100108_1200_6.png

Over the next 24 Hours, a slightly stronger Easterly flow will develop over Ireland. This will lead to a significant wind chill factor, with ''real-feel'' temperature values between -6 and -10. At present, an area of low pressure centred between Corsica & Northern Italy, of 995mb in intensity, is advecting a deep cold pool westwards. A complex frontal feature associated with this area of low pressure spreads Northwestwards towards the UK & Ireland over the coming 36 Hours.

fax0s.gif

T+48 12.00 - Sunday

A strong Easterly wind persists over Ireland, while a complex frontal feature begins to arrive from the Southeast. Associated snowfall, at first rather light in nature, should arrive in Southern & Southeastern areas, sometime shortly after 12 Hours on Sunday, between 12.00 & 17.00 Hours. During the course of Sunday, outbreaks of snow should develop more widely over Southern, Southeastern & Eastern areas. Pressure will fall to 1020mb overnight, particularly across the southern half the country, allowing for an intensification of the precipitation. At this point, it is largely expected that all precipitation will be snowfall, apart from some possible exceptions along extreme coastal fringes. 850mb temperatures at 12 Hours Sunday will range from -8 to -10.

100108_1200_48.png

ukmo2.php?ech=48&carte=2000

T+60

Overnight, the frontal feature will straddle the southern half of the country, with strong Easterly winds persisting. While Dam Heights will gradually begin to increase above 528DAM, towards 529 & 530 - this shouldn't be a problem immediately because we will be dealing with a continental influence. It may, however, add to the marginality element in exposed coastal locations. At this point, outbreaks of snow, light to moderate in nature, should straddle many Eastern, Southeastern, Southern & Southwestern areas of the country.

Counties at risk at this timeframe include:

Kerry, Cork, Limerick, Tipperary, Waterford, Wexford, Wickow, Kilkenny, Carlow, Southern Laois, Kildare, Dublin, Meath & Louth.

100108_1200_60.png

T+72

At 12 Noon Monday, the boundary line of the complex frontal feature lies to the North of the country. An Easterly, backing Southeasterly airflow persists over Ireland. At this time, 850mb temperatures continue to support snowfall across the country, although marginality may become more prominent in exposed coastal areas. Equally, precipitation may continue to fall as snow in many areas, due to the level of embedded cold. Areas most at risk include large portions of the East, Southeast and South, with the risk diminishing in the Southwest. Blizzard conditions are possible over High ground in particular, and possibly to lower levels at times. Precipitation will generally fizzle out later on Monday into the East of the country. 850mb temperatures continue to support snowfall in Eastern areas in particular. A slight thaw is possible in the far Southwest later in the day.

100108_1200_72.png

Summary

There is a High Risk - 65% - 70% - of outbreaks of persistent light snowfall developing in the above areas later on Sunday & into Monday. While conditioins may become increasingly marginal in some areas on Monday, as discussed above, many areas should see snowfall during this period if the current NWP Guidance verifies. Total accumulations possible in this period range from 3CM to 8CM at lower levels, with in excess of 10CM possible at higher elevations. Disruption to Transportation is possible during this period. A gradual slight thaw may occur in the far Southwest & exposed areas much later on Monday, although 850mb temperatures remain largely supportive of snowfall, particularly further East, until Wednesday on the latest ECMWF Guidance.

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

duckysauce wrote: »

My sister seen moron boy racers not content with doing doughnuts in the snow, but tying trays to the back of the car for lads to sit on then doing doughnuts :eek:

-10 here in Kilkenny this morning, bloody car was frozen inside and out!

great update Snowaddict . cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

NUI Maynooth are advising that all exam schedules remain in place and to leave home earlier than usual to make the exam centres.

Same with TCD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

is it goin to snow in clare someone answer me?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement