Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

kerchow wrote: »
    Oh please let there be lots of snow for Dublin!!!!! i really want to get back some of the kids pelting the cars in the West of the city with stones in the snow balls:( not nice. Does anyone know if the predicted snow for sunday on the east coast is true???? And if we are to get snow over the weekend will there be lots????:)
    And for Mr. Coward to say he is happy with the response of local councils up till now shows that all those lazy brain dead lumps in leinster house live not only on another planet they live on a totally different plane of existance. Do they not have plasma screens there? Do they not see the carnage on the roads? People stranded all over the country? Come off it you total wingnuts, get a bleeping clue.:mad:

I couldnt have put it better myself

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Su Campu wrote: »
    It's looking very likely from today's models that the Atlantic will win over from around Tuesday on, bringing temperatures back to normal January values (mid-high single figures - remember those??!!) :D

I do think though there could be one last gasp of snow during monday as ahead of this Atlantic air, so I'd expect them to mention that in the coming days.

Any idea how long that'll last, will it be swiftly replaced by more balticness next weekend as predicted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

sdonn wrote: »
    Another huuggge TAF for Dublin

EIDW 072300Z 0800/0824 30005KT 0300 FZFG BKN001 PROB30 TEMPO 0800/0801 -SHGS -SHSN SCT018CB TEMPO 0800/0806 2000 BR SCT001 BECMG 0806/0809 05005KT 9999 NSW SCT020 PROB30 TEMPO 0809/0815 3000 -SHGS -SHSN BKN007 SCT018CB

Basically, a fairly precise, 100% probability forecast of sleet and graupel or hail from midnight to 1am, followed by a probability of more of the same from 9am-3pm. Lots of CB meaning cumulonimbus - or preip-generating - clouds, too.

Currently EIDW 072330Z 28004KT 0400 R16/1200V1500N R28/1500U R10/1000V1300U FZFG FEW001 SCT002 M07/M07 Q1020 NOSIG 10190095 16490399, basically secondary runway closed due to contamination and freezing fog, temp/DP both -7.

I hate to rain...so to speak...on your parade, but PROB30 is not a 100% probability, it's 30%, or in TAF-speak, only a slight chance. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

2330.gif

Shower about to arrive on the east coast there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

DOCARCH wrote: »
    If that shower hits Dublin, every flake will stick, given the temperatures (-6.7c here atm). The city will be in bits tomorrow as on the news, Dublin City Council said today was the last of the grit/salt they had!

We have a westerly wind at Dublin Airport and an Easterly in Dublin.

Wonder will the shower just die out as it pushes into the dry air or perhaps build, dont have a clue tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

down to -11.2c here in Naas now two nights in a row down past -10c

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Su Campu wrote: »
    It's looking very likely from today's models that the Atlantic will win over from around Tuesday on, bringing temperatures back to normal January values (mid-high single figures - remember those??!!) :D

I do think though there could be one last gasp of snow during monday as ahead of this Atlantic air, so I'd expect them to mention that in the coming days.

Some of the models disagree as do Met Eireann, it will get less cold from Monday but still below 3c in many places and certainly no Atlantic roaring back imo but we will just have to wait and see

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

We have a westerly wind at Dublin Airport and an Easterly in Dublin.

Wonder will the shower just die out as it pushes into the dry air or perhaps build, dont have a clue tbh.

Air isn't that dry - look at Dublin AP: -7c DP -7c. If the shower does make it, I reckon it will be hail or graupel rather than snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

its -7 in rathfarnham on my cheap lidl weather station.
    got my sledges today, they are excellent, used them on the small hill here but i cant wait to get them onto big slopes, they arrived after 4 days from the uk. im so happy :D:D:D:D:D
    just back in from walking the dog, its lovely out there, unfortunetly the roads are going to be leathal tommorow, gonna leave early so that there is no messing. Travel safe everyone tommorow im going to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Hoping i can hold onto my mains water, flow has gone very slow

will be leaving the downstairs toilet tap running overnight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Graupel.

I now have a new word.
    Somewhat usefully it goes with that weird type of not snow not hail that was falling the yesterday, which was also new to me.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That shower seems to be aimed squarely at where I'm typing this currently.:)

The ice dust I've seen blowing around in the wind tonight in Dublin city centre is amazing! It's like a hoar frost is building up on surfaces, except it's mainly sticking to WNW-facing surfaces. Everything has a glistening of white, I'd say the Phoenix Park will look beautiful tomorrow morning.

What's the feeling for the weekend? I think the possibility is there to be highlighted, but from an IMBY point of view these setups are rare for low lying eastern areas receiving widespread heavy snow. It's times like this when I feel the likes of Weathercheck and Trogdor were given a tough cross to bear with their coastal locations:P

bryaner wrote: »

The reason for that could be due to everyone else has left the tap running and pressure is down, that has caused water shortages in places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

bryaner wrote: »

dont do that i have heard that could be disaster and cause you alot of money if your tank busts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Star Bingo wrote: »
    green tea.. chocolate cheesecake from aldi...

- damn, that frozen fog is cutting some nice crystalized foliage out there.. makes the air sooo f'n cold though :rolleyes:

I'm loving the frozen fog. Ranelagh looks like it's been hit by a nuclear winter at the moment. Very pretty and very eerie.

I'm going to start loving it less in a minute when I have to go out for a cigarette :rolleyes:

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I went to my local Lidl today for some shopping. The place was being stripped bare by all the panic buying. No bread, milk or eggs to be had. It was like the fall of Hanoi.
    Now there's an interesting comparison :D

Anyway could be a sign of whats instore (pun intended) for many shoppers, as deliveries are delayed - Lidl never overstock so it's no surprise if the place looks empty if one delivery is delayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

:eek: Had not looked at my temp for a while and by golly its gone low:

Temp -7

DP -8.4

NRA station Newbridge bypass

Air Temp -9.6

Road Temp -7.0

-7.4 here in Terenure now

Evening everyone, Ive just logged back on.Its bitterly cold here in Lucan and foggy. Id also swear it could snow, the sky has that browny orang tint to it.
    Does anyone know if theres a chance.:D

There goes Gerry again with his "Significant Snow" again lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

If you can believe it sunday looks like a blitzo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭shaddupayaface

diddlybit wrote: »
    I'm loving the frozen fog. Ranelagh looks like it's been hit by a nuclear winter at the moment. Very pretty and very eerie.

I'm going to start loving it less in a minute when I have to go out for a cigarette :rolleyes:

I've just been out for a ciggie and the cold air nearly took my breath....its sooooooooo cold out there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Showers just sticking out to sea of North Dublin, trying to get the courage to bump into that cold surface!

2345.gif

Positivly mild here only -3.7C ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Just back from a walk with the dog! Man I love these late night winter wonderland walks!! :D. Think I went further than I should have though as my face feels frozen and my ears, well.....I could snap them off now I think! :p

-4.6c out and a dense fog out, visibility about 40-50m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Showers just sticking out to sea of North Dublin, trying to get the courage to bump into that cold surface!

2345.gif

They did that a few nights ago too, never came on shore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

mad DIY wrote: »
    They did that a few nights ago too, never came on shore.

When I look out to sea I can see 'em, they are teasing us.

Nate

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

mad DIY wrote: »
    -7.4 here in Terenure now

Same here now ,

Dp -8.8

http://homepage.eircom.net/~osprey/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I'm less sure about this whole snow thing now _ I hadn't had snow in years, so it was great to get some, but it does get a bit annoying after a while - cars crashing, no water on the farm, paniic buying, no food in shops, people falling over- maybe a normal winter isn't such a bad thing after all!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Jake1 wrote: »
    Evening everyone, Ive just logged back on.Its bitterly cold here in Lucan and foggy. Id also swear it could snow, the sky has that browny orang tint to it.
    Does anyone know if theres a chance.:D

Same colour down here in sunny Navan!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Air temp -13 in Baltinglass http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm

Any idea of temp in West Wicklow, I reckon -7, anyone confirm, cheers?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement