Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭slayer91

-4.2 c and falling. Very calm, clear night. Going to be a cold one!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

-7 in dublin now.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭itsmine

I was hoping to drive from Dublin to Dundalk (M50 and M1) tomorrow (Saturday 9th) morning, leaving at Dublin at 9.00am-ish and then leaving Dundalk at 1pm-ish to come back again. Is there snow predicted to fall during these times? What is the daytime temperature for that area in the morning? I reckon those main roads should be well salted/gritted, but I wouldn't go if there was a risk that snow would fall while I'm there and leave me stranded.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Vanhalla wrote: »
    is it goin to snow in clare someone answer me?

Read the thread , there is only 99 pages :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

St. Pats in Drumcondra are postponing exams from mondat til Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

temp here now is -11.6c that is really cold for this time of the night i wonder if we will get to -15c by the morning if no sea affect comes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

is it goin to snow in clare someone answer me?

doesn't look like it from SnowAddict's post - Banner's snow shield fully operational :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13 seagullinthesky

As a nation, we are pathetic. Over the last 14 days, I have seen the majority of people who were working make it their business to get to work and rightly so. Since Wednesday, we have lost the run of ourselves. If you were never to look out of the window, the media would terrify you to the point of even opening the door.:rolleyes:

I have just heard that all schools have now been closed til Thursday, NATIONWIDE????. What is all that about?. :o:confused:

Can everyone CALM downand get a grip (no pun intended) , we do not have five foot or even 5 inches of snow. It is cold, very cold and it is necessary to take simple precautions but do not lose the head. Dress appropriately for the weather but if you are young, fit and healthy, get out and go to work for God's sake. The country is in enough trouble. If you are in a city and the buses are off, walk, its good for us and the countryside and city are beautiful even when white and frozen. Our ancestors survived famine and wars and we have 2-3" snow in most places and we have gone to ground as a nation. PATHETIC :mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

itsmine wrote: »
    I was hoping to drive from Dublin to Dundalk (M50 and M1) tomorrow (Saturday 9th) morning, leaving at Dublin at 9.00am-ish and then leaving Dundalk at 1pm-ish to come back again. Is there snow predicted to fall during these times? What is the daytime temperature for that area in the morning? I reckon those main roads should be well salted/gritted, but I wouldn't go if there was a risk that snow would fall while I'm there and leave me stranded.

News said that grit would be held back over the weekend to ensure roads are gritted come Monday. Snow showers are due to hit the east overnight and into tomorrow morning. With road temps the way they are I'd be seriously thinking of cancelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

zenno wrote: »
    great update Snowaddict . cheers.

+1! A comprehensive overview of what is heading for us!:D Thanks:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

As a nation, we are pathetic. Over the last 14 days, I have seen the majority of people who were working make it their business to get to work and rightly so. Since Wednesday, we have lost the run of ourselves. If you were never to look out of the window, the media would terrify you to the point of even opening the door.:rolleyes:

I have just heard that all schools have now been closed til Thursday, NATIONWIDE????. What is all that about?. :o:confused:

Can everyone CALM downand get a grip (no pun intended) , we do not have five foot or even 5 inches of snow. It is cold, very cold and it is necessary to take simple precautions but do not lose the head. Dress appropriately for the weather but if you are young, fit and healthy, get out and go to work for God's sake. The country is in enough trouble. If you are in a city and the buses are off, walk, its good for us and the countryside and city are beautiful even when white and frozen. Our ancestors survived famine and wars and we have 2-3" snow in most places and we have gone to ground as a nation. PATHETIC :mad::(

I have 6" of snow and had a low temp of -17.7c this morning, the warmest it got here all day was -7.6c ?????? :confused:

Try the ranting and Raving forum maybe???:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

schools closed till thursday!!!! whooooo :D
    why is it all schools tho, what about the west where theres no snow??!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

WC.. can we start a new thread before the morning seeing as there are showers expected at daybreak ?

Thank you !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

-8c at Dublin Airport at 8pm

The record is just a mere 2 and bit degrees away from being broken and yea its only 8pm!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

irishdub14 wrote: »
    schools closed till thursday!!!! whooooo :D
    why is it all schools tho, what about the west where theres no snow??!! :confused:

shhhhhhhhhhh

Villain wrote: »
    I have 6" of snow and had a low temp of -17.7c this morning, the warmest it got here all day was -7.6c ?????? :confused:

How does that sort of temperatire feel? Got very cold here in KK last night, but I wasn't outside in anything colder than -8. That felt horrible!!!:D

Also, any way we can introduce a smiley face that indicates being cold? I have found a need for one many times!!! Any artists out there???:D

t|nt|n wrote: »
    WC.. can we start a new thread before the morning seeing as there are showers expected at daybreak ?

Thank you !! :)

Can we can we??!! LOL!!:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

You don't mention where you are? Utopia by the sounds of it. You suggest walking....hmmm....we'd all love to walk in a winter wonderland, but it's not quite like that, half the problem is that the A+Es are filling up with people falling over from walking. Snow is not the problem, ice is.

Seagullinthesky....pretty apt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

LOL why are you worrying about what other people are doing ? just go into work if you can but please don't complain about all your problems here. there are other forums for that kind of thing. this forum is about weather information only enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

doesn't look like it from SnowAddict's post - Banner's snow shield fully operational :(

where in east clare are u? dromindoora? never heard of it!
    why arent we gettin any snow, ha? ha? is it to do with being beside the lake or some ****e. il have to move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

check out the NRA road weather stations http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm

Baltinglass -12.5 @ 19.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Hey DOCARCH how is that temp looking? and what is your record

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

leahyl wrote: »
    Can we can we??!! LOL!!:D

I will start a new thread for tomorrows activity in the early AM.

How does that sort of temperatire feel? Got very cold here in KK last night, but I wasn't outside in anything colder than -8. That felt horrible!!!:D

Also, any way we can introduce a smiley face that indicates being cold? I have found a need for one many times!!! Any artists out there???:D

brrr.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I think you are looking for this !!!!! :D

cold.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

where in east clare are u? dromindoora? never heard of it!
    why arent we gettin any snow, ha? ha? is it to do with being beside the lake or some ****e. il have to move

between Killanena and Gort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 BigMonsterLove

If you are in a city and the buses are off, walk, its good for us and the countryside and city are beautiful even when white and frozen.

It's not too easy to walk when the pavements are slippy, cracked skulls are seldom good for us.

-8.9 atm in kk, falling by approx. .5 degree every 20 mins or half an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

roryc1 wrote: »
    Hey DOCARCH how is that temp looking? and what is your record

-5.7c atm, falling very slowly but steadily. Record for here (4 years) is -7.2c last night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement