Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

How does that sort of temperatire feel? Got very cold here in KK last night, but I wasn't outside in anything colder than -8. That felt horrible!!!:D

Also, any way we can introduce a smiley face that indicates being cold? I have found a need for one many times!!! Any artists out there???:D

Its very very cold, you get cold with heavy layers even on straight away, water pipes freezing all over, ice everywhere.

Despite the Sun being up for hours today the snow is still stuck to the trees and even wires, no thaw at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Monaghan now -12.7, Baltinglass -13.4 :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

DOCARCH wrote: »
    You don't mention where you are? Utopia by the sounds of it. You suggest walking....hmmm....we'd all love to walk in a winter wonderland, but it's not quite like that, half the problem is that the A+Es are filling up with people falling over from walking. Snow is not the problem, ice is.

Seagullinthesky....pretty apt.
    The problem is lazy people not clearing their paths,both homes and businesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Goatstown now -6.3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

cgf wrote: »
    check out the NRA road weather stations http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm

Baltinglass -12.5 @ 19.00

Just updated for 20.00

Baltinglass -13.4c
    Monaghan -12.7c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

leahyl wrote: »
    +1! A comprehensive overview of what is heading for us!:D Thanks:)

No problem, although bear in mind confidence is 65% - 70% at present. There is still a margin of error in there & marginality has been mentioned as a risk, especially from later on Monday onwards.

Although, as it stands at the moment, the evolution does look favourable.

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

...because if you clear your path or whatever and someone slips on it and gets injured, they can sue you.
    If you make no effort at all, they can't.
    Was on the news earlier...sadly...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

You gotta stand back and appreciate tonight, won't witness temperature as low as tonight for many many years i would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Villain wrote: »
    Its very very cold, you get cold with heavy layers even on straight away, water pipes freezing all over, ice everywhere.

Despite the Sun being up for hours today the snow is still stuck to the trees and even wires, no thaw at all

Any problems with fuel freezing in tanks?? Know somone on the outskirts of carlow in an exposed area, diesel froze in tractor tank.

brrr.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Snowaddict wrote: »
    No problem, although bear in mind confidence is 65% - 70% at present. There is still a margin of error in there & marginality has been mentioned as a risk, especially from later on Monday onwards.

Although, as it stands at the moment, the evolution does look favourable.

SA :)

I don't really mind from later Monday once we get our snow on Sunday and Monday during the day:)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

You gotta stand back and appreciate tonight, won't witness temperature as low as tonight for many many years i would imagine.

can I appreciate it with a hat and gloves on then ??
    Don't appreciate having to go out and break ice on animals' water supplies every couple of hours though....

• Registered Users Posts: 13 seagullinthesky

It's not too easy to walk when the pavements are slippy, cracked skulls are seldom good for us

You see, folks, this is how we respond.............

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The last time I walked not all pavemnets were outside homes and businesses?

And, believe it or not, if you clear the pavemnet in fornt of your home or business or grit it, you may become liable if somebody has an accident! Only in Ireland could this happen. In other countries it's the reverse, you have an obligation to clear the pavements.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Casement -8:) will we reach -13?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

What do you think is going to happen temp wise tonight as apparently according to nw and xc weather the temp is gonig to rise 5c so if its near -12c we may not get -15c lol:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Scien wrote: »
    100s of people were skating on Cork Lough Today. Reports say it was 4 inches thick.
    The Council did the sensible thing this evening & brought a JCB in to break the circumference to avoid incidents.

Oh my god some people are very stupid....there are even full grown adults in that picture - ridiculous! Sure a teenager fell in there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Yes truly remarkable and an ideal preparation for the wkd snow

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

You see, folks, this is how we respond.............

What's that supposed to mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

Absolutley freezing in Tipp Town.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Is Sunday /Monday going to happen or is it just met eireann being cautious?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

As a nation, we are pathetic. Over the last 14 days, I have seen the majority of people who were working make it their business to get to work and rightly so. Since Wednesday, we have lost the run of ourselves. If you were never to look out of the window, the media would terrify you to the point of even opening the door.:rolleyes:

I have just heard that all schools have now been closed til Thursday, NATIONWIDE????. What is all that about?. :o:confused:

Can everyone CALM downand get a grip (no pun intended) , we do not have five foot or even 5 inches of snow. It is cold, very cold and it is necessary to take simple precautions but do not lose the head. Dress appropriately for the weather but if you are young, fit and healthy, get out and go to work for God's sake. The country is in enough trouble. If you are in a city and the buses are off, walk, its good for us and the countryside and city are beautiful even when white and frozen. Our ancestors survived famine and wars and we have 2-3" snow in most places and we have gone to ground as a nation. PATHETIC :mad::(

The only people who have gone to ground is Our Goverment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

holly1 wrote: »

I for one hope that the cold doesn't break the calendar !!!! :p:p;);):D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Any problems with fuel freezing in tanks?? Know somone on the outskirts of carlow in an exposed area, diesel froze in tractor tank.

brrr.gif

Yea a friend of the bro's heating oil froze and heard of fuel freezing in tractors too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

leahyl wrote: »
    Oh my god some people are very stupid....there are even full grown adults in that picture - ridiculous! Sure a teenager fell in there

im sure it was safe, at 4 inches ice is considered safe for people up to 200 pounds

holly1 wrote: »
    I'm no expert but i doubt they would be shutting down schools until Thursday next unless they where fairly certain we are in for serious snow fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

utick wrote: »
    im sure it was safe, at 4 inches ice is considered safe for people up to 200 pounds

How many people though? What if you get a gathering of 3 or 4 people in a weak spot?

It's DUMB...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

utick wrote: »

It's not the four inches thats the problem, its the fact that there were almost definately patches of ice with much less ice on them.

Cork co.co. did the wrong thing, because once it freezes tonight, people will use it again, despite the fact that there may be less than 1 inch at the edge. The council prob. won't have the resources to break the ice every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    The only people who have gone to ground is Our Goverment.

That's not true, some of them have gone to Malta.

• Advertisement

Dickerty wrote: »
    How many people though? What if you get a gathering of 3 or 4 people in a weak spot?

It's DUMB...
    Agreed. Idiots the lot of them but nothing surprises me tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement