Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

utick wrote: »
    im sure it was safe, at 4 inches ice is considered safe for people up to 200 pounds

but it wasn't safe someone fell in:confused:! The council had to come along and break it up to stop people going on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

24degrees celsius here in Tralee, Im out my back garden in my shorts drinking beer:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Dickerty wrote: »
    How many people though? What if you get a gathering of 3 or 4 people in a weak spot?

It's DUMB...

Have to agree,it's madness:eek:,you would think adults would have more sence:confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Vain wrote: »
    24degrees celsius here in Tralee, Im out my back garden in my shorts drinking beer:pac:

LOL!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Not sure if already mentioned, but I've found RTE's 'live update' feed kind of hilarious in light of all the hubub over Paul Cunningham's hat last night.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0108/live_weather_transport_updates.html

The feed features two pictures of Mr Cunningham...one with a new hat today, one from last night alongside a fellow reporter, urging you to wrap up well 'just like' them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

leahyl wrote: »
    LOL!:D

You are mad as a hatter leahyl:D:D:p,mind your important bits dont fall off vain:eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Only Kilgobnet and Valentia above 0 on irelandsweather.com, even malin head is -2!!!

It's not the four inches thats the problem, its the fact that there were almost definately patches of ice with much less ice on them.

Cork co.co. did the wrong thing, because once it freezes tonight, people will use it again, despite the fact that there may be less than 1 inch at the edge. The council prob. won't have the resources to break the ice every day.

and Darwin can get back to his hard work :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

UKMO for midnight Sunday places a 'Quasi-stationary front' over the southeast.
    10011100_0812.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

on the news at one today guy on from cavan urging people not to go out onto frozen lakes, he personally witnessed someone pushing someone in a wheel chair out on a frozen lake!! madness!

wont be long before this cold snap claims some lives.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    UKMO for midnight Sunday places a 'Quasi-stationary front' over the southeast.
    10011100_0812.gif

Ok so , hit me with the laymans terms on this Quasi front , I had a look at the link , and now Im even more lost :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Wow... 9pm, and met eireann's predictions for the lower end of temps for tonight's already been broken (-12C).

Maybe they'll go a bit lower again with any final revisions this evening :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thank God the guards had that sense.
    My aunt, who lives in west clare, said a heap of kids were on go-karts on a local lake, which is known to have springs in it, and very patchy ice. The guards had to be called to get them off, and even still they wouldn't because the guards were afraid to walk accross the lake to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Ok so , hit me with the laymans terms on this Quasi front , I had a look at the link , and now Im even more lost :o

It's referring to a slow moving, complex frontal feature, extending through the United Kingdom & Continental Europe...

Precipitation assocaited with this feature shouldn't be terribly heavy, but should be persistent due to the slow moving nature. At present, precipitation is indicated to be snowfall.

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

skelliser wrote: »
    wont be long before this cold snap claims some lives.

It already has through car accidents and anecdotally there has been deaths in the elderly population but no point adding to that with acts of complete lunacy

Graces7 wrote: »
    Thank God the guards had that sense.

The guards knew the kids parents and rang them. Trouble:D:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Snowaddict wrote: »
    It's referring to a slow moving, complex frontal feature, extending through the United Kingdom & Continental Europe...

Precipitation assocaited with this feature shouldn't be terribly heavy, but should be persistent due to the slow moving nature. At present, precipitation is indicated to be snowfall.

SA :)

Thank you ,another boards lesson learned :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Bandit12 wrote: »
    I'm no expert but i doubt they would be shutting down schools until Thursday next unless they where fairly certain we are in for serious snow fall.

But it's Ireland!

It is basically a frontal system that has stalled or is slow moving. It represents a boundary between a warm and cold air mass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

F-Stop wrote: »
    That's not true, some of them have gone to Malta.

:D

• Advertisement

that slip on rte news was so charlie chaplin-esque

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 BotanyQueen

RTE added in that the man who fell was not seriously hurt!
    They must have a few phonecalls...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

Only Kilgobnet and Valentia above 0 on irelandsweather.com, even malin head is -2!!!

Lets all get down to Valencia. Its warm!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 a1m1m1o1

Jaysus that poor f......:D is after falling again .Thats twice in three hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 kerchow

great excitement in work today with the promise of lots of snow on sunday and monday. there will be lots of sad children in our creche if it doesn't happen. ok some of those kids will be us teachers but hey!!!

Government went to Malta but they took the boat. Not as bad for the environment as flying Global warming and all that! Found this little rhyme about their adventure......
    The Cowen and the Gormley went to sea
    In a beautiful pea green boat,
    They took some honey, and plenty of money,
    Wrapped up in a five Euro note.
    The Cowen looked up to the stars above,
    And sang to a small guitar,
    'O Gormley! O Gormley my love,
    What a beautiful Idiots we are,
    We are,
    We are!
    What 2 beautiful idiots we are!'

They sailed away for a year and a day.....
    And when they came back Ireland was still without salt grit or money!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

I started a new thread in the animal welfare section. It relates an issue I have with my cat and includes 5 dead birds. It is an effect of this cold weather. It may be of interest to some of you. Below is a link: (rec - animals & pet issues - animal welfare)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055792599

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Well I went for a walk in -13.1c here in Ballon as I wanted an excuse to smoke a rather nice cigar. I walked about 200 yards and I had to turn back. I began to get a headache and my face felt as if it was burning. There were crystals hitting me in the face due to the freezing fog.

I'm back now with a nice Hendricks and tonic and a large bottle of Hoegaarden to aid my recovery. The cigar can wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

As a nation, we are pathetic. Over the last 14 days, I have seen the majority of people who were working make it their business to get to work and rightly so. Since Wednesday, we have lost the run of ourselves. If you were never to look out of the window, the media would terrify you to the point of even opening the door.:rolleyes:

I have just heard that all schools have now been closed til Thursday, NATIONWIDE????. What is all that about?. :o:confused:

Can everyone CALM downand get a grip (no pun intended) , we do not have five foot or even 5 inches of snow. It is cold, very cold and it is necessary to take simple precautions but do not lose the head. Dress appropriately for the weather but if you are young, fit and healthy, get out and go to work for God's sake. The country is in enough trouble. If you are in a city and the buses are off, walk, its good for us and the countryside and city are beautiful even when white and frozen. Our ancestors survived famine and wars and we have 2-3" snow in most places and we have gone to ground as a nation. PATHETIC :mad::(

SHUT UP!

OK?

OK!

There; I feel better now!:)

Been needing to say that all day!

Thank you!

Only a matter of time until an accident and deaths happen on a lake here, like in England. Why can't our large population of idiots understand this???

• Advertisement

DDigital wrote: »
    Lets all get down to Valencia. Its warm!!

The warm Valencia(city in spain) or the tropical heat valentia( in kerry)???:D:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement