Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

i see carlow temp is holding around the -14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

SeaFields wrote: »
    If its tropical heat in Valentia why do the locals call the place Cahersiberia in the winter? :P

It's 10 degrees higher there than it is here!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

typhooner wrote: »
    wow there's no official station in + temps at 2100

That is rare. Usually Malin spoils the show on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

owenc wrote: »
    it was -5c in ballykelly this time last night and we got a min of -12c here and its like -11c -8c in ballykelly i expect if nothing comes and temps keep dropping 1c every hour maybe -14c in ballykelly in the morning and -10c before midnight that would be great! we'd have at least -15c here then!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

What?

Ok rte weather break. Breath deep

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

ssssssssshhhhhhhh

Eagle is up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

It's 10 degrees higher there than it is here!!!:D

They'll all be on the beaches!

Did he say " substantial snow"????:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

snaps wrote: »
    What?

Oh nothing just that your face has a splodge of mud on it go clean it up and give me head peace.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 kerchow

well as the council up here said, it caught them by surprise. (Who would have thought that the chance of cold during winter were high???? go figure!) I know that this is a bad spell and they are using a lot of grit and sand but where was the planning? Where was the ability to take charge during a situation that poses such a risk to lives not only the people on the roads but the older people those stuck at home? have a family member in hospital at the moment and have seen not old people but younger folk too with broken hips, broken arms legs etc? There needs to be a better co-ordinated response to show the people that there is the ability and brain power at local and national level.:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

With Monaghan falling back to -11.1c and Baltinglass at -13.9c on the NRA charts it is a one horse race tonight.

only 5-10 cm?? I was hoping for 5-10''!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Same as the earlier forecast from the Eagle :D

Holy jaysus - tonights temp chart -11 in a big ring round most of country

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

back down to -14.2c

For a substantial weather event The Eagle is skipping across it kinda quick at the moment. Is he still kinda hedging his bets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

101591.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

cgf wrote: »
    With Monaghan falling back to -11.1c and Baltinglass at -13.9c on the NRA charts it is a one horse race tonight.

Dont forget , the N7 newbridge bypass , she has been there or there about's the last few nights ! mind you only at -9.1 now , but I have faith :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Hmm.

So 2-5cm possible in showers tomorrow.

Then 5-10 Sunday night/monday.

That's on top of what we already have from new years and the showers during the week.

If pans out, us = screwed. For a couple of days anyway. Going to shop in tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

will letting some air out of your tyres help drive more safely in these condition? along with all the other safety measures of course!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

irish1967 wrote: »
    For a substantial weather event The Eagle is skipping across it kinda quick at the moment. Is he still kinda hedging his bets?

The report after the 9pm news never seems to be as long as the one after the six one news for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Villain wrote: »
    back down to -14.2c

Unreal - what's the record?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

Why is RTE/MET Office predicting "substantial" snow when every other weather site I've checked is predicting rain for us on Sunday/Monday??????:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

irish1967 wrote: »

It's not modelled as affecting the entire country so in essence while it could potentially be a significant event for the South, Southeast & East, it won't be for everywhere.

That forecast is perfectly in line with the ECMWF 12Z Precipitation charts, which reduced the risk of precipitation progressing further North West, as was indicated as a possibility on previous runs.

Met Eireann have certainly committed to this one.

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

Rougies wrote: »
    101591.jpg

So that's the 'Eagle' guy who guys keep going on about. Without doubt one of the worst weather presenters I've ever seen. I'm not saying he's a bad meteorologist but as far as his presentation skills are concerned I have to say I usually cringe every time I see him on TV stumbling over his words.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

The report after the 9pm news never seems to be as long as the one after the six one news for some reason

True, they have to squeeze everything into 30 mins as opposed to an hour for the 6 o'clock news.

-9.7 in kk, we're beating newbridge!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Dickerty wrote: »
    Unreal - what's the record?
    Irish record is -19.1c

I had -17.7c this morning

Rougies wrote: »
    True, they have to squeeze everything into 30 mins as opposed to an hour for the 6 o'clock news.

They've still managed to take 40 mins since the heavy snow the other day!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

mothel wrote: »
    Why is RTE/MET Office predicting "substantial" snow when every other weather site I've checked is predicting rain for us on Sunday/Monday??????:confused:

I know, I'm worried too. Really hoping Met E are correct with this one...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement