Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

compsys wrote: »
    So that's the 'Eagle' guy who guys keep going on about. Without doubt one of the worst weather presenters I've ever seen. I'm not saying he's a bad meteorologist but as far as his presentation skills are concerned I have to say I usually cringe every time I see him on TV stumbling over his words.

That's what i like about hime - it feels like he's one of us!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

The report after the 9pm news never seems to be as long as the one after the six one news for some reason

He's probably tryin to leg it home so he wont be trapped at RTE!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Are there penguins in Carlow???

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

Weather here in Harolds Cross is absolutely freezing!

Current temperature in my house in 6 degrees!

I'm going to have to move out!!:eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

mothel wrote: »
    Why is RTE/MET Office predicting "substantial" snow when every other weather site I've checked is predicting rain for us on Sunday/Monday??????:confused:

Because they are the Authority on Irish weather , The other's just give us a glancing look.

BTW : BBC News and SKY news are also forecasting this event for us.

If your looking at online automated weather forecasts there no use what so ever

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Why is RTE/MET Office predicting "substantial" snow when every other weather site I've checked is predicting rain for us on Sunday/Monday??????:confused:

Not for Foynes (N Kerry/W Limerick)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/2287

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

leahyl wrote: »
    That's what i like about hime - it feels like he's one of us!:D

Exactly, he's stumbling his words because he's getting excited :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

irish1967 wrote: »
    Ate there penguins in Carlow???

Native to Tullow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

BBC has changed their tune a bit for Dublin :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/31

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Just got a call from my sister. She was nearly caught in an accident because some muppet thought it would be safe to start overtaking cars :mad: Other driver's car then spun out and ended up in the ditch as it overtook her car. Luckily it didn't hit any other cars. Driver was apparently OK, apart from being remarkably stupid.

(This was on the way to ongar)

I had a look out and the roads here look like they've been glazed. Remarkable how quickly things have frozen tonight.

Know it's slightly OT, but :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

With the amount of ice on frozen roads, and if the country is out of grit, rain and the resultant ice would be worse surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Some sites will sayrain when they officially mean precipitation. Might be causing the rain forecast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Heavy snow on Wednesday . . . :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Villain wrote: »
    Irish record is -19.1c

I had -17.7c this morning

Thanks, am watching your site now...

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

Because they are the Authority on Irish weather , The other's just give us a glancing look.

BTW : BBC News and SKY news are also forecasting this event for us.

If your looking at online automated weather forecasts there no use what so ever

Where should I look?

So the schools wont be opening on thursday . . .:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

The warm Valencia(city in spain) or the tropical heat valentia( in kerry)???:D:D:D

Ah the balmy Co. Kerry seaside resort!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Those online weather sites are rubbish. The experts on this site say they are automated with little human input. I reckon a fleeting glance of page 161 on Aertel would be a lot more informative. If you want a 3 day forcast go to met.ie.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

As I said in a earlier post these forecasts are a waste of time , computer generated forecasts with no human input ,

I reckon there accuracy is somewhere around 30% and at that I am being generous.

For instance that BBC report says a min of -4 tonight in Dublin with a clear SKy

Its currently -8 at Dublin Airport , with foggy patches
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

This morning at 7:55am Met Eireann gave heavy snow for Wednedsay and Thursday, the south and East again getting the brunt of it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Pfffft! What do they know :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 kerchow

LookingFor wrote: »
    Just got a call from my sister. She was nearly caught in an accident because some muppet thought it would be safe to start overtaking cars :mad: Other driver's car then spun out and ended up in the ditch as it overtook her car. Luckily it didn't hit any other cars. Driver was apparently OK, apart from being remarkably stupid.

(This was on the way to ongar)

I had a look out and the roads here look like they've been glazed. Remarkable how quickly things have frozen tonight.

Know it's slightly OT, but :mad:

Nearly run off the road at our lady's hospital last night by some muppet trying to over take from the left hand turn lane which leads to a bus lane. With freezing fog and bad roads me driving at 10-15 was not fast enough so he tried to hit my car with his beemer and force me into a ped crossing set of railings. nice. dead dead smart. brain power of a cold cup of sick he has. he also drove alongside me ranting and raving, in the bus lane. serious i think he should run for some sort of office. we got a minister for the lame brain deads yet? 1st policy; drive like a tool ,kill others and save your own hairy frozen white bottom.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

As I said in a earlier post these forecasts are a waste of time , computer generated forecasts with no human input ,

I reckon there accuracy is somewhere around 30% and at that I am being generous.

For instance that BBC report says a min of -4 tonight in Dublin with a clear SKy

Its currently -8 at Dublin Airport , with foggy patches
    :D

-9 now,1 deg less and record is broken http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Reurmett.html

Where should I look?

To be honest , you usually dont go far wrong looking at MT's daily forecast or MET Eireann's website

MT's Daily forecast :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971&page=50

MET's Latest forecast

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

_47061196_greatbritainjpg.jpg

Apologies if it breaks the thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

irish1967 wrote: »
    Are there penguins in Carlow???

Dunno but there's 3 ex penguins on the Ryan Tubridy Show Late Late Show :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Hey Villain, fair play on Gerry Ryan today. Very interesting piece. If we do hit records lows tonight, it'll most likely happen where you are. Are you staying up or does you're equipment record the lowest temperature and report back tomorrow morning?

I think most of you agree, these threads have been the most interesting on boards for the last week or so. Popular forums like AH, Soccer and Motors aren't even getting a look in from me!

Min wrote: »
    This morning at 7:55am Met Eireann gave heavy snow for Wednedsay and Thursday, the south and East again getting the brunt of it .

Looking good for us then!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

flanzer wrote: »
    Hey Villain, fair play on Gerry Ryan today. Very interesting piece. If we do hit records lows tonight, it'll most likely happen where you are. Are you staying up or does you're equipment record the lowest temperature and report back tomorrow morning?

I think most of you agree, these threads have been the most interesting on boards for the last week or so. Popular forums like AH, Soccer and Motors aren't even getting a look in from me!
    Thanks flanzer, the station records all the data to a pc updating every 2 seconds and then the website updates every 45 seconds approx, its all automatic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

^^ I think everyone on the internet has seen that photo 100 times already.:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement