Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

jessie37 wrote: »
    hi can you tell me is there an website that gives current temperatures of area or is it equipment you have?

This site uses a number of different sources together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Come on the Scallion Eaters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Watching the latest BBC forecast a few mins ago, Tuesday looks like the day for a huge white out over the southern half of Ireland.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

It's -7 out there yet the car has hardly any new frost on it when usually -1 would have it covered. What's up with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

jessie37 wrote: »
    hi can you tell me is there an website that gives current temperatures of area or is it equipment you have?

You can see my current temp updated about every 45 seconds on www.carlowweather.com

You can see temps across the Island on www.irelandsweather.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭crushproof

Check out the second last photo.....

Despite numerous warnings over the past week there's still people who think it's safe to walk on frozen lakes. And with his kid!!! Agh! Seriously like?!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/8446490.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

All I can say for sure is that it will be a messy mixture of rain, sleet and snow for several days,

sloppy.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

mothel wrote: »
    So nothing is as certain as met eireann are predicting? which is where I came in... What are the odds, 50/50?

Hate to answer a question with a question , but do any of the weather experts know if MET Eireann have Charts/Guidance available to them you guys would not have ?

They have solidly pinned their colors to the mast calling this snow event , while some on here are less then sure.

In terms of a % Snowaddict has put it between 65-70%, although I dont think MT would agree .

Wolfe/Su Campu/WeatherCheck/DeepEasterly/Redsunset/Darkman2 (and anyone I have forgotten ) how do you guys see it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Min wrote: »
    This morning at 7:55am Met Eireann gave heavy snow for Wednedsay and Thursday, the south and East again getting the brunt of it .

High ground in the East and North are at risk of a major snowfall during Wed/Thurs. Bit far off yet though, and probably best left to a later thread.

Eastern and S/Eastern areas are likely to have snow showers tomorrow morning, from shortly after 6am. At the moment it looks like mostly light to moderate falls, heaviest of these probably in the South Wicklow/Wexford areas (with some getting into Carlow :D)

Anywhere East of line from Lough Foyle to West Waterford could get these showers.

Then the real fun starts from around midnight tomorrow night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

crushproof wrote: »
    Check out the second last photo.....

Despite numerous warnings over the past week there's still people who think it's safe to walk on frozen lakes. And with his kid!!! Agh! Seriously like?!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/8446490.stm

Cute pic though:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Villain wrote: »
    You can see my current temp updated about every 45 seconds on www.carlowweather.com

You can see temps across the Island on www.irelandsweather.com
    Out of interest if you do beat 19.1 tonight will met eireann recognise it as being official?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

leahyl wrote: »
    Ya i know their temperatures always seem to be way off even on their televised forecasts:confused:!

Its a possible MAX temp for the Day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Late late show now!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

This site uses a number of different sources together.

Thanks, following these threads with a while,learning loads about the weather thanks

Donegal Postman on now , LateLate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

weather postman is on the late late.between the comb-over and mary harney beside him i dunno what to say..........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

The Donegal postman is on the Late Late show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ad break? That must have been damned quick - Gary er Martin Kemp is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

eigrod wrote: »
    The Donegal postman is on the Late Late show.

What's the big deal about this guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Monaghan now -11.8
    Baltinglass -14.4

Catching up quick is
    Emyvale at -11
    Newbridge at -10.8
    Roscrea at -10

And it'll get colder yet.

Look at the road temps though. Any precip will make those roads death traps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Mmcd wrote: »
    Out of interest if you do beat 19.1 tonight will met eireann recognise it as being official?

Nope but it will get interesting I have contacted them and told them they are welcome to verfiy the data and station. With the media getting more and more interested it could put pressure on them to recognise it, but it will never go down in their official records.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

mike65 wrote: »
    Ad break? That must have been damned quick - Gary er Martin Kemp is on.

Ya me too - he musn't have been on for long!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Hate to answer a question with a question , but do any of the weather experts know if MET Eireann have Charts/Guidance available to them you guys would not have ?

They have solidly pinned their colors to the mast calling this snow event , while some on here are less then sure.

In terms of a % Snowaddict has put it between 65-70%, although I dont think MT would agree .

Wolfe/Su Campu/WeatherCheck/DeepEasterly/Redsunset/Darkman2 (and anyone I have forgotten ) how do you guys see it ?

Yeah I'd love to hear more opinions too, the met seem so sure but you'd have to question it given some of the opinions here. Can't see why the met on their TV forecasts etc wouldn't say snow or possible rain - they seem so sure of snow.

Also, where is Darkman2, haven't seen him here for days or did I miss his posts?

What's the big deal about this guy?

He is actually head of met eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Will the north east see big snowfall ie Cavan, Meath??

-9 at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

irish1967 wrote: »
    He is actually head of met eireann.

Oh, ok.......................!

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Yeah I'd love to hear more opinions too, the met seem so sure but you'd have to question it given some of the opinions here. Can't see why the met on their TV forecasts etc wouldn't say snow or possible rain - they seem so sure of snow.

Also, where is Darkman2, haven't seen him here for days or did I miss his posts?

I have actually asked once or twice already on his where abouts , Might be up in the Mts playing with all the snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

I believe there is a facebook group in appretition of The Hat from last night. Anyone got the link??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

temps look ok for snow....

http://www.wzkarten3.de/pics/Rtavn4217.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement