Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

irish1967 wrote: »
    I believe there is a facebook group in appretition of The Hat from last night. Anyone got the link??

http://www.facebook.com/pages/We-love-Paul-Cunninghams-winter-hat/240592949010

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I believe there is a facebook group in appretition of The Hat from last night. Anyone got the link??

A little OT, but here you go all the same.;)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I have actually asked once or twice already on his where abouts , Might be up in the Mts playing with all the snow

Possibly yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

-6 in Carrickmacross,-5 this time last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

FFS, I can't believe it... as we get closer to Sunday a lot of these charts are saying no snow for where I am in Louth. I can't believe it, am dying for snow and now it seems it won't get much further north than Dublin?!

This sucks :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Oh, ok.......................!

Didn't he predict there'd be a white Christmas and the freeze would go on for weeks. Just by observing animals on the mountain in Donegal or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭chrabo

Hi guys

Dundalk around DKIT -9 now

Im polish we have winters with -30 record was -44 and snow falling somtimes around 2m, dont use salt use sand, change your water in cooling systems into the cars 99% in this country have them, when u start driving use 2 speed and hope we will get lots of snow in next few days.

GL

Digi

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Just type in Paul Cunninghams Hat in the search bar, you'll find it! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

He is actually head of met eireann.

so hes double jobbing then is he ? this donegal postman ????? :confused::confused::confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

ugh what next! lol -12.4c here and -8c in ballykelly this fog sees to be going everywhere in ni stopping the stations from going below -10c ugh it better be gone by the morning and it better not come here lollol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

eigrod wrote: »
    The Donegal postman is on the Late Late show.
    that was a bit of a non-event...could have made a bit more of him, poor fella

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭crushproof

chrabo wrote: »
    Hi guys

Dundalk around DKIT -9 now

Im polish we have winters with -30 record was -44 and snow falling somtimes around 2m, dont use salt use sand, change your water in cooling systems into the cars 99% in this country have them, when u start driving use 2 speed and hope we will get lots of snow in next few days.

GL

Digi

2M of snow.....Oh I can only dream!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

-15.6c

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tweenie

Are the met stations at the same height as the met eireann ones and are the thermometers calibrated regularly?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭smilgy

crushproof wrote: »
    2M of snow.....Oh I can only dream!!:rolleyes:
    Hes right, I'm from Lithuania where the average winter gets -30 and they do use sand as grit. It works wonders sometimes even better than salt !

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

Ok guys, odds please, what are the odds for a big event???

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

tweenie wrote: »
    Are the met stations at the same height as the met eireann ones and are the thermometers calibrated regularly?

Do you mean the NRA one? If so they are higher (than 4ft) and I doubt they are calibrated regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Villain wrote: »
    -15.6c

the Scallion Eaters

mothel wrote: »
    Ok guys, odds please, what are the odds for a big event???

I mean what more do you want ? Have you read this thread ?

Villain wrote: »
    Nope but it will get interesting I have contacted them and told them they are welcome to verfiy the data and station. With the media getting more and more interested it could put pressure on them to recognise it, but it will never go down in their official records.
    No I meant the private weather stations around the country (in order for the record to be broken I presume that you would have to similar measurement conditions l

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

Yes but.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

They calibrated two of them after World War 2.... I think the others were done around the 1916 Rising.....

We haven't got the man power to calibrate them - everyone is out gritting the roads, oh wait..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

No I meant the private weather stations around the country
    Its just over 4ft above the ground and is under a year old so wouldn't have been calibrated since then I have a cheaper weather station which is recorded slightly lowers temps but is low spec

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Holding steady here in south donegal at -5.6

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Reading this thread could leave you more lost than when you first came in :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Reading this thread WILL leave you more lost than when you first came in :p

Slight typo in your post... :)

I am sure official met station thermometers are calibrated and certified regularly and all are at an official wmo height. So that is 'probably' why why they wouldn't recognise yours as 'the record lowest' even if it reaches lowest temp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A mere -5 here.

mothel wrote: »
    Yes but.......

You know what, you're right, I'm lost...again. Too much random stuff in between facts ! :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

-8.4 in kk now, was -9.8 earlier. wtf???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement