Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

Can I ask something ? I don't know if it's a stupid question or not though or maybe not a stupid question but a bit too presumptious...

Is our climate changing or is this just a fluke winter and we'll never have anything like it for god knows how long ? I was just thinking with the snow last year, and then this year, is this a common thing from now on ???

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Recording -7 here in the middle of Offaly with a crappy outdoor digital thermometer. Is it a different type of cold tonight. I just walked out in a t-shirt to check the reading and to be honest I felt colder in + tempratures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

Can I ask something ? I don't know if it's a stupid question or not though or maybe not a stupid question but a bit too presumptious...

Is our climate changing or is this just a fluke winter and we'll never have anything like it for god knows how long ? I was just thinking with the snow last year, and then this year, is this a common thing from now on ???

snow every year would be awesome.

climate change is happening. melting ice caps are messing with the gulf stream afaik.

i'd just like some proper weather, im fed up with constant rain & damp all year round

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Climate change is a bit of a red herring, even slightly propaganda. It's effect is minimal. From what I read, weather come and goes in cycles. I'm no expert but these cycles run over 60/70 years. There'll be someone hear though that'll answer that question.

In other news, just back from a quick walk down the road and found it hard to breathe through my nose. Felt the blood vessels up my nostrils freezing up a bit.

snow every year would be awesome.

climate change is happening. melting ice caps are messing with the gulf stream afaik.

i'd just like some proper weather, im fed up with constant rain & damp all year round

You and me both buddy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

duckysauce wrote: »
    why sand not salt ?

Because the temp is below -8 or so, so the salt doesn't really help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

TomTom wrote: »
    Recording -7 here in the middle of Offaly with a crappy outdoor digital thermometer. Is it a different type of cold tonight. I just walked out in a t-shirt to check the reading and to be honest I felt colder in + tempratures.

t

yep the dampness is not there its frozen , proper cold but not damp, its the dampness that screws us in ireland, + the politicans :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Very true. I went out with a sweater on (what the hell is a sweater) to experience the cold and it was far colder previous nights... Maybe due to the lack of mositure in the air?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Yeah i kinda felt the same here in Waterford City, its -4.7c but it does'nt feel too bad when your out in it. Maybe we are getting more used to it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

jd wrote: »
    Because the temp is below -8 or so, so the salt doesn't really help.

so how does sand disolve ice at that temp ?

• Advertisement

ok, its tipping -8 on one side of the door and +15 this side. All I can say is the poor door.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

ok, its tipping -8 on one side of the door and +15 this side. All I can say is the poor door.

wtf?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

From a somewhat rusty memory, salt changes the freezing temperature of the mixture to anything down to 0 F, depending on the concentration, which can't exceed 23%.

If the temperature is below that, all the salt in the world won't help the situation. Given that most snow in Ireland (and the UK) tends to fall at temps very close to zero, salt normally helps to cause a thaw by taking the freezing temperature of the mixture below the ambient temperature.

In the places where the temp goes below 0 F, salt will do nothing, as the mixture will remain frozen.

Given that the salt % has no chance to get to a concentrated brine level, the degree of protection is significantly less, but normally just enough to get the thaw under way and prevent the sort of problems that are so prevalent at the moment.

The sand doesn't aid thawing, but gives a bit of roughness, (bit like sandpaper if you like) that aids grip a little, as it becomes embedded in the surface. Even a little bit helps.

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I don't think it's supposed to melt the ice but it can be useful for providing traction underfoot.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

New update on Sunday/Monday
    http://wwww.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63886288&postcount=8

There are ops from others there now too.

wtf?

Inside and outside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭knoximus

Im reading -9.6c Kilkenny city outskirts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

It doesn't dissolve it, it just gives more grip. A lot of the problem here is that the snow melts and then refreezes as ice. If it stayed as powder snow things would be easier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭squarecircles

bbc precipitation chart for tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭squarecircles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

following the extreme winter cond itions ver the last few weeks we will prob get extreme summer ones. super hot & hose pipe bans. twould be nice.

Nothing to say a cold winter will be followed by a hot summer, unfortunately!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

How many threads have been opened in last few hours? Spread us out everywhere and killed the forum IMO:(

Even mother nature is trying to seperate the north. I really hope its not as bad as it looks it might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

following the extreme winter cond itions ver the last few weeks we will prob get extreme summer ones. super hot & hose pipe bans. twould be nice.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

The fella that fell over on the RTE News now has his own Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/hate-to-be-the-fella-that-fell-over-on-the-RTE-news/417652205397?ref=nf&v=wall

Ah well - we are all stuck in doors - we do what we must to entertain ourselves :D:D

The temperatures have been rising in some of the weather stations during the past hour e.g Oak Park, Johnstown, Newbridge - would there be any particular reason for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

i thought salt started becoming ineffective at -6c (20f)

its all kina moot though. we arerunning out & what has been put down isn't exactly working.

the reason it can feel colder on what are technically warmer days/ nights is humidity & wind chill.

but its pobably also a little of being used to it by now to. I was able to walk around chicago last jan with no coat on one of the nights & i was fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

knoximus wrote: »
    Im reading -9.6c Kilkenny city outskirts

-8.2 at the weather station.

http://www.kilkennyweather.com/index.php/climate-change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    How many threads have been opened in last few hours? Spread us out everywhere and killed the forum IMO:(

Time to open a new thread - it is saturday after all. Weekend snow thread!!!

Is weathercheck around to do it? He might merge threads and get us all back in the one spot!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

WolfeIRE wrote: »

Its ok !! WC said a new thread would be opened before the expected showers in the East tomorrow sunrise.

FOLLOW THE LEADER

THE LEADER IS GREAT

:p:p:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement