Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

According to Irish weather Network, there are currently 12 different sites around the country IN NEGATIVE DOUBLE FIGURES.

Several more on -8 OR -9.

http://www.irelandsweather.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

No microwave pizzas left in the supermarket???:D

No Kitty Litter either! Remember to bring in your dogs and cats! My outdoor cat has been living inside for the past week and today he refused to go outside even for a short while! And FEED THE WILD BIRDS!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

F-Stop wrote: »
    Schools closing until thursday. No salt to grit roads - major routes will be shutdown. Bloody cold - Villain is going to smash the record tongight. The heavy heavy snow on Sunday/Monday will be followed by the zombie apocalypse. At least that's what I got from the forecast on RTE.

Your thanks as promised :p. So we are still on for the heavy snow on Sunday going on into Monday? How about tonight, is there anything happening around?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭poolsupporter

dont know bout the rest of the country but avoid the ballyboggan road at all costs...

numerous crashes and mishaps 4 d last 3 days..

that road is at the bottom of the glasnevin road heading into finglas along the graveyard route...

it is a steep hill and is nearly impossible at the moment... risk at your own peril

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lemon3

Strandhill Co. Sligo, 250 meters from the Atlantic here and it's a balmy -4.9c

I cant believe the cold snap has lasted so long, I had gotten used to the idea that a big freeze was replaced by the wet snap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    How about tonight, is there anything happening around?

here you go Dufff
    http://my.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63887261&postcount=1839

Good night folks. chat tomorrow afternoon. stay safe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Rougies wrote: »
    Hardwood is good. Plastic is even better. But if you really want to break some downhill speed records, non-chloric silicone based kitchen lubricant is the way to go! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo58oWW09qQ

National Lampoon's Christmas Sled I like that looks like holding @ -16.3°C

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

mothel wrote: »
    And FEED THE WILD BIRDS!!!!!!!

True. I spent three bloody euro on a pack of mixed nuts in Spar today. Me and the birds halfsied them. Heard a good point today though - even if you are using the same food, put it in different places and at different heights so that they all get a chance to get some.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

dont know bout the rest of the country but avoid the ballyboggan road at all costs...

numerous crashes and mishaps 4 d last 3 days..

that road is at the bottom of the glasnevin road heading into finglas along the graveyard route...

it is a steep hill and is nearly impossible at the moment... risk at your own peril

I know it well. Its the slip road off the Finglas Road (Dual Carriageway) on the left at the Tolka River if coming from Town. Brings you up to Ashtown / River Road to Castleknock.

It has always been a nightmare, even though the widened and resurfaced it a few years ago - I lived all my life until 3 years ago across the road in Violet Hill.

I remember years ago they closed it due to ice, and myself and friends used it for sleds :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Your thanks as promised :p. So we are still on for the heavy snow on Sunday going on into Monday? How about tonight, is there anything happening around?

WolfeIRE did a fairly good report on Sunday/Monday as well as some bonus extra material for later in the week :p I think its back on page 120-122....I'm too tired to walk back there now!! :p

• Advertisement

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    here you go Dufff
    http://my.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63887261&postcount=1839

Good night folks. chat tomorrow afternoon. stay safe :)

As always thanks wolfe.

after numerous calls to the relevant services along with assisting the relevent services (garda) to get free of the deathtrap that is the ballyboggan road hill please take this message serious.. avoid it at all costs!!!

i wonder if my calls were in relation to somewhere on the southside would we have gotten a road closure or an attendence from relevent emergency services.

tonight i watched a driver lose control at about 2mph down the hill for 100 metres with a 1 year old child in the back..:mad:
    not his fault...

that is just 1 of the many unfortunate incidents i have witnessed in the past 3 days

please be carful and avoid this hill...

use the industrial estate at the shell garage to get to finglas!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Night folks, back down to -9 here in KK.

a nightmare is right.
    sleds? deadly!!!
    but i need the relevent services to close it first!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Had neighbours around, bastards! i couldnt check the site out, its manners apparently;), anyhow got a small gift from missus for christmas radio clock from lidl, only thing is i think its an atomic clock or something, it has no radio!! it sends a radio signal every ten minutes from chesire or something!! it lights up and squaks basically, needless to say i have found a great use for it, having ale now it has a tempature gauge on it, its out on top of car cant hear a bloody thing great stuff, see this blue light throught the window every ten minutes, i will report back soon on galway vote for the weather jury:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

A cousin of mine lives in Tullow........the coldest part of Ireland!! :p He took a few pics of the area.

18765_1301068439959_1027865834_929652_2605090_n.jpg

18765_1301068479960_1027865834_929653_2543771_n.jpg

18765_1301068519961_1027865834_929654_3128799_n.jpg

18765_1301068399958_1027865834_929651_4555127_n.jpg

Looks cold doesnt it! :p

I live about 30m from the cemetery in your last pic. Haven't been able to go to work for the past two days. Anyone care to place a wager on the likelihood of me making it in on Monday???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Evenin all! think its around -8 here tonight, based on my dodgey garden thermometer !! pretty cold out there i know that much!! stars twinkling like mad, no clouds, not one...:rolleyes:

i see we are all in relatively good form here this evening... thankfully :D

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

tonight i watched a driver lose control at about 2mph down the hill for 100 metres

Thanks for the warning. Trying to pull the weight of a car up an icy hill at 2mph is about as wreckless as approaching it at 50mph and then flooring it. Slow speed does not necessarily equate to safe driving. Something as heavy as a car needs some momentum to climb an icy hill.

the galway jury is in (i needed to get up to get another beer) the temp is LLL error, according to my superb lidl temp gauge, the clock is still working though, its exactly 1.44.32 am:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Caza

Having a brill time watching this forum posted a few times but has kept me going since Tues night when hubby left for his skiing trip and house got broken into that night, the forum has kept me entertained when cannot sleep. Loving all the time that batt o keefe has given us off work some very funny texts going around about him! thanks all and hoping for snow here in trim doubtful but hopeful! thanx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

just in from the -9 here in Limerick. the frost is so thick it crunches under your feet like snow.

won't be surprised if we see -12 in Shannon overnight. tullow could even break the -19 record, although the downward direction of the temp there seems to be slowing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

freezin fog here -8 castlebar

feck it im finding my car keys, im not driving;) just the temp gauge is excellent in it will report back:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

-8 now in Roscrea.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Irish sea starting to pep up a bit :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭squarecircles

we're buried under that white blob somewhere:eek::eek::eek:

-6.9:eek: sorry small change to most stunning to me its 1.58.48am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

the galway jury is in (i needed to get up to get another beer) the temp is LLL error, according to my superb lidl temp gauge, the clock is still working though, its exactly 1.44.32 am:D:D

Brilliant :D

Well mine reads -6.6 on the east side of the city just .8 km from the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Caza wrote: »
    Having a brill time watching this forum posted a few times but has kept me going since Tues night when hubby left for his skiing trip and house got broken into that night, the forum has kept me entertained when cannot sleep. Loving all the time that batt o keefe has given us off work some very funny texts going around about him! thanks all and hoping for snow here in trim doubtful but hopeful! thanx

that was an awful thing to happen you just when hes away.. stick with us here for a bit of light relief and even some weather forecasting thrown in for good measure!!

• Advertisement

we're buried under that white blob somewhere:eek::eek::eek:

When is this going to happen?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement