Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

francosp wrote: »
    Off the Welsh coat and down from the Isle of Man. Seems to be a small band forming... No ?

no, wind too northerly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Caza

Anyone watching the Irish sea on radar ? Can see something brewing up.
    looks like it is going to keep headin south and miss anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Caza wrote: »
    hopefully see snow but dont think so, went over to navan earlier and not too bad but know the bad spots but people driven so close when you slow down when bad spots are around seen a car in ditch then few cars pulled in also dont think they going to keep grittin the road though

I don't think the council have the supplies of grit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Thats what happened yesterday.. missed the east coast by 45 miles..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Rougies wrote: »
    Let us have our fun! I imagine you are reading this going :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: because you are in North Dakota in minus 8 billion or whatever it is there, but if you were here in Ireland you'd understand :)
    It's possibly a once in a lifetime experience for many here! ;)

I live in ireland. I only flew out here 3 days ago. I was talkin bout the joke of people putting balmy in front of -4.7 in comparison to the colder temps in carlow. It's been going on for days. Not knocking excitement bout the cold weather. I love it myself. -29 by the way and just had some fresh snow. Jealous?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Jackovarian

Beyond all that global warming bull, maybe we are beginning to see the new global climate?

For instance, we "Ireland" are used to a temperate climate, and this suddenly rocks us. This could happen again next year, and the year after and so forth. It may also be worse. Maybe this will never happen again. My point is, places like Siberia still turn over when the weather turns bad, why cant we?

Obviously we are not prepared for this, in any way, but maybe now we should at least allow for it. Maybe we should now allow for all natural extremes. What if it reaches 30 degrees Celsius this summer? Seriously! Its illogical and unrealistic, but it may not be that impossible.

My original point for writing this post was to submit my idea that maybe we are seeing the start of a mini ice age. Not one we will ever see, but maybe one out childrens childrens will see.

I'm not jumping on the back of that 2012 crap, no offence to 2012ers but the whole thing is founded upon fiction, just like scientology!

This is just a personal opinon.

Also, how clueless are met eireann? I've been checking that site over the last three to four days, and they keep changing everything!

For instance, yesterday it said that tomorrow (Saturday) would be 2 degrees. today it said 1, and now it says 0. Same for Sunday!
    They cannot predict the weather from their old weather charts! Its just not working.

There really is no point in looking at the weather report at this stage because once they report it, its upon us!

http://www.p2pnet.net/img/2010/20100108195537ice.jpg

Ice age impossible?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age
    Al Gore didn't say anything about this now did he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

jenzz wrote: »
    I was just having a think.... Why did Mr Batt say no school till Thursday to be reviewed at a meeting on Tuesday whether they will open at all next week .. Does he know somethin we dont know with regards later in week??

We were just havin' a laugh at this today, have you EVER ONCE in your life heard of teachers going back to work on a Thursday or a Friday?!?!?!?!?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Trying to get my station online! :D

4063.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

just looked at villains web site in carlow, 14.4 arsebiscuits:rolleyes: it looked good for a while... mb later will bring it lower but not looking good, really
    need to go to ale/sleep now night night:P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Darragh29 wrote: »
    We were just havin' a laugh at this today, have you EVER ONCE in your life heard of teachers going back to work on a Thursday or a Friday?!?!?!?!?!?

Ha ha...... But then again schools were due back Thursday this week..... But if the snow is due sun/Mon why didnt he say all schools closed till Tue & we will review Monday ... seems a bit odd.... Maybe Wolfe forcast of another super snow event for Thursday is something MET are looking at

• Advertisement

Ha ha...... But then again schools were due back Thursday this week..... But if the snow is due sun/Mon why didnt he say all schools closed till Tue & we will review Monday ... seems a bit odd.... Maybe Wolfe forcast of another super snow event for Thursday is something MET are looking at

What did wolfe say about Thursday? Must have missed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭poolsupporter

Off the Welsh coat and down from the Isle of Man. Seems to be a small band forming... No ?

couldnt tell ye bro... couped up at home on the northside of dublin:p

not funny:( no salt not driven in these conditions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Esmeralda34

Cheers Carpenter! ;) Its only a quick job, and the only reason it came about was because I had those two runners (ash) left over from a project that went wrong, I was shaping them on the router table, the blade caught them and tore the grain. I'd love to make a really sweet one if we were guarenteed a good snowfall every year. You know, all laminated and steam bent, sweet!! :)

Oops, sorry, this is the weather forum.......:p

Yeah it is the weather forum but so what? This weather is supposed to be bringing out the best in all of us, after all! Let's not exclude the occasional off-topic sweet sentiment...

It looks great!! Wish I wasn't stuck in Ranelagh! Enjoy...!:)

Nearly at 2000 posts. Who will get the crown tonight? We really do love our snow!

But this was just for the laugh, 'cos they knew after the Crimbo that all the radiators would be frozen and the pipes would be burst so Thursday in this context really meant the next Monday!!! So now that they are ordered to close 'til next Thursday, this in the latest context means next Thursday FORTNIGHT at the earliest!!! Jesus I wish I did that H. Dip instead of the M. SC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

love_snow.gif

No snow here yet, 2000th post?

???

Aha! This is cool, I can just post all my info now in one foul swoop! Guess I've just increased my 'Boards' productivity!! :p

7283.jpg

• Advertisement

if you know the conditions of our school you would soon realise that we cant teach in this weather bound to be many burst pipes but we have worked with no water and heating before but these temps no way

Lol I got da sucker, 2000th post!

Caza wrote: »
    if you know the conditions of our school you would soon realise that we cant teach in this weather bound to be many burst pipes but we have worked with no water and heating before but these temps no way

Get up out of that, back on topic, if you want to debate this in the politics forum I'll gladly oblige!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

looking Pretty dodgy for Tuesday Night :eek:

snowbbc.jpg

Get up out of that, back on topic, if you want to debate this in the politics forum I'll gladly oblige!
    sorry that is another days work not really politics but working conditions! but goodnight all and hoping that the snow falls on sunday/monday!

Beyond all that global warming bull, maybe we are beginning to see the new global climate?

For instance, we "Ireland" are used to a temperate climate, and this suddenly rocks us. This could happen again next year, and the year after and so forth. It may also be worse. Maybe this will never happen again. My point is, places like Siberia still turn over when the weather turns bad, why cant we?

Obviously we are not prepared for this, in any way, but maybe now we should at least allow for it. Maybe we should now allow for all natural extremes. What if it reaches 30 degrees Celsius this summer? Seriously! Its illogical and unrealistic, but it may not be that impossible.

My original point for writing this post was to submit my idea that maybe we are seeing the start of a mini ice age. Not one we will ever see, but maybe one out childrens childrens will see.

I'm not jumping on the back of that 2012 crap, no offence to 2012ers but the whole thing is founded upon fiction, just like scientology!

This is just a personal opinon.

Also, how clueless are met eireann? I've been checking that site over the last three to four days, and they keep changing everything!

For instance, yesterday it said that tomorrow (Saturday) would be 2 degrees. today it said 1, and now it says 0. Same for Sunday!
    They cannot predict the weather from their old weather charts! Its just not working.

There really is no point in looking at the weather report at this stage because once they report it, its upon us!

http://www.p2pnet.net/img/2010/20100108195537ice.jpg

Ice age impossible?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age
    Al Gore didn't say anything about this now did he?[/q

dont worry about prophecy's, its very simple... WERE IRISH, LIVING IN IRELAND!!!!

i wont start a rant cos my rant would deserve a new thread...
    3 points to make... 1) were an island, surrounded by sand. - we need to import grit??? 2) we are being told to conserve water???- thousands of tonnes of water have fallen on us over the last month!!!! 3) more than 20 days into crisis weather we finally get told by our most senior representative that "god is the boss"... please dont start me...

maybe this is the start of something? maybe a revolution of logical and creative thinking could be formed? is it impossible to envisage the harnessing of these forces of nature???

until we get out from underneath the dictatorship in which we live, logical, creative and progressive thinking cant be applied... like i said, dont get me started... thanks for the thoughtful post...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Esmeralda34

mothel wrote: »
    No Kitty Litter either! Remember to bring in your dogs and cats! My outdoor cat has been living inside for the past week and today he refused to go outside even for a short while! And FEED THE WILD BIRDS!!!!!!!

Finally someone has mentioned this!!! I thought I might be shunned for bringing this up in the weather forum.

I'm in an apartment in Ranelagh, have one windowsill and heaps of skylights. Thinking the best thing to do is get one of those tubular bird feeders to hang from the windowsill?

Any feedback would be welcome. No worries about re-directing me to a more appropriate forum for this topic!

By the way, our weather monitor is showing only -2.1 here in the heart of Ranelagh at the moment.

Looking forward to the snow on Sunday and loving this weather. Just a pain in the ass (literally) having to get to work!! But hey, I don't need to worry about that til Monday morning...:)

Can't believe it's 3.30am!! This weather-watching is soooo addictive!:D

Lol I got da sucker, 2000th post!

I take my hat off to you sir, oh wait I don't have one :D. Interesting chart for Tuesday!

2000 posts?
    is dat it?:D
    goodnight everyone...

• Advertisement

Well thats me gone past -8c, the oil burner will be kicking in soon! Goodnight!

13612.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement