Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

snow holding solid all day

South east wind blowing here since 19:00 ..
    now have clear skies

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Snow here last night, freezing fog now.

I love the snow too but its absolute chaos up here. The last week has been a nightmare as I've had a family emergency and my father is on his death bed. Travelling in -7/-8 degree weather is no fun, on snow that is here now nearly 3 weeks.

Still love seeing the snow falling, but my God, it makes thinks unbelievably difficult for people who have relations and friends in hospital.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Looks like its not just us are struggling with grit/salt supplies. If the ever prepared Germans are struggling maybe we shouldnt be so hard on ourselves considering they are used to these type of conditions...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8445613.stm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Down to -7.9 in Newbridge now with -10.3 on the bypass

Last nights record since I have being living here of -8.6 just mite be beaten !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Su Campu wrote: »
    I hate to rain...so to speak...on your parade, but PROB30 is not a 100% probability, it's 30%, or in TAF-speak, only a slight chance. :(

****e, only noticed the second PROB30 not the first. Knew there was something odd about that TAF.

Gah, no snow for me so :( Mind you, most of the snow at EIDW recently occurred after PROB30 and PROB40 TAFs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

definite streamer heading due west from holyhead to Dublin
    101468.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    image.ashx?country=gb&type=slide&time=&index=1&sat=

that sat shot is history:D

oh wait, it's been changed

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Haven't seen my comment on page 13 14 have you? :-)

patneve wrote: »
    that sat shot is history:D
    ? squeeze me?

? squeeze me?
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

tell ya one thing lads, least it not snowin!

winger/pat

http://www.sat24.com/gb

Just do the run there.

the image is coming as 0130 on boards for me. How odd?

Wolfe

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Here is hoping for no more snow in dublin until about 5pm tomorrow, then I should be well out of the city and it can bucket it down for all I care.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Seems to be some very serious fog pushing in on south Cork at the moment. Cant see very far out from my window at the moment.
    Yeah similar up in college road here. Its very cold tonight...cars are white

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

Regarding extremes, the highest air temperature recorded in Ireland was + 33.3°C at Kilkenny Castle 26th June 1887. The record maximum during the 20th century is +32.5°C at Boora, Co. Offaly on 29th June 1976. The lowest air temperature was -19.1°C measured at Markree Castle, Co. Sligo on 16th January 1881 while the lowest observed 20th century air temperature was -18.8°C recorded at Lullymore, Co. Kildare on 2nd January 1979. The lowest observed grass minimum temperature was -19.6°C at Dublin (Glasnevin) on 12th January 1982 which was almost matched by the -19.5°C measured at Lullymore, Co. Kildare on 2nd January 1979.
    . . taken from www.met.ie

There's the bar (-19.1)

I'll have to cover 600 miles next monday/tuesday around cork/limerick. Heres hoping for NO snow in the SW.

winger/pat

http://www.sat24.com/gb

Just do the run there.

the image is coming as 0130 on boards for me. How odd?

Wolfe

strange it keeps changing from 00:30 to 5 o'clock in the afternoon, sorry anyway

Strangely enough, it was showing as 16:15 for me up until 2 minutes ago where it showed the recent one on refresh and now back to 16:15 again...

Note to self, never to link sat24.com directly :-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

1.30am

101467.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

whats a streamer?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭lisao80

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Yeah similar up in college road here. Its very cold tonight...cars are white

its the same down here near Bantry, driving home there awhile ago it was getting very foggy... all i want is a little bit of snow to say we had some...any chance??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

That's 0130 CET, 0030 UTC which is our time at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

lisao80 wrote: »
    its the same down here near Bantry, driving home there awhile ago it was getting very foggy... all i want is a little bit of snow to say we had some...any chance??
    I'm amazed it isn't here. Reading the even echo this evening they said we'd have it this evening. Maybe it will fall over night.

I'll be going home to Kerry for the weekend where they tell me there is snow :D - we had it over christmas too...gets annoying after a while though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Esmeralda34

Where to get proper footwear attire for this weather?? I've been wearing trainers walking to work and the shops and they are most definitely NOT the way to go! My granny would look more nimble than I do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

K-9 wrote: »
    Snow here last night, freezing fog now.

I love the snow too but its absolute chaos up here. The last week has been a nightmare as I've had a family emergency and my father is on his death bed. Travelling in -7/-8 degree weather is no fun, on snow that is here now nearly 3 weeks.

Still love seeing the snow falling, but my God, it makes thinks unbelievably difficult for people who have relations and friends in hospital.

sorry to hear that about your father:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

There goes the Eagle Low off the southwest, ah it could have brought some nice snow to the west but just tracked too far the wrong way.

WolfeIRE, I see what you mean now, is it not something in the higher troposphere though, or a jet trail? Certainly doesn't correspond with the general movements of the other clouds in vicinity direction wise, it's heading straight west while being surrounded by SW-heading clusters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I've noticed a big change in the tone of the posts here - from everyone wanting snow to a 50/50 split on those that want it and those that just wish it would stop.

Just shows - we're really not made out for anything other than mild temperatures, grey skies and drizzle 12 months of the year in this country!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

d'Oracle wrote: »
    OK.

Maybe I'm mistaking things.
    I thought that the ICE was a result of the snow.
    Am I wrong?

Some of it yeah, but if the government/county councils were more prepared for dealing with the ice then we could enjoy the snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Where to get proper footwear attire for this weather?? I've been wearing trainers walking to work and the shops and they are most definitely NOT the way to go! My granny would look more nimble than I do!!

Wellington boots will always be the best - tend not to be the most stylish though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I've noticed a big change in the tone of the posts here - from everyone wanting snow to a 50/50 split on those that want it and those that just wish it would stop.

Just shows - we're really not made out for anything other than mild temperatures, grey skies and drizzle 12 months of the year in this country!!!:D

Well I'm in the "you can't get enough snow" camp! -6 here at the moment but just put the thermometer out with a glass of water half an hour ago to see how quick it will freeze...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement