Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion (Friday 8/1/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I've been wearing something similar to these for the last week now.

boots.jpg

Waterproof and faux fur lining, so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I've noticed a big change in the tone of the posts here - from everyone wanting snow to a 50/50 split on those that want it and those that just wish it would stop.

Just shows - we're really not made out for anything other than mild temperatures, grey skies and drizzle 12 months of the year in this country!!!:D

Yeah its true.

Btw, was that Thomastown I saw on the RTE news earlier? Looked like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Winger_PL wrote: »
    WolfeIRE, I see what you mean now, is it not something in the higher troposphere though, or a jet trail? Certainly doesn't correspond with the general movements of the other clouds in vicinity direction wise, it's heading straight west while being surrounded by SW-heading clusters.

Well wind in dublin is mostly westerly. http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

In north wales it is SE to Easterly http://windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=70

Will be interesting to see which one wins out with this cloud. I guess the SE/E will take over in the next hour or so. that is when you will see your showers building up out of nowhere

Alicat wrote: »
    I've been wearing something similar to these for the last week now.

you have awful turned in feet god love you.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Snowshoe Sam

Wellington boots will always be the best - tend not to be the most stylish though.

Have to disagree Armani, wellies leave me with freezing feet! :rolleyes:

I wear a pair of hiking boots - gives you decent grip, keeps your feet dry and you don't feel like your toes are in early stages of frostbite! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

-3.1C here, freezing very hard out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Yeah its true.

Btw, was that Thomastown I saw on the RTE news earlier? Looked like it.

yep, quick glimpse and a clip of a woman giving out about the roads:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

what do people use as makeshift sledges does anyone know or even better any supermarkets seling them? some sledding in order this weekend i think!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

So are we going to see any snow tonight?

df1985 wrote: »
    what do people use as makeshift sledges does anyone know or even better any supermarkets seling them? some sledding in order this weekend i think!
    i am quite proud of mine
    http://platformtworca.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/51.jpg

air conditioning and airbags

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    you have awful turned in feet god love you.:(

It's an affliction I've learned to live with! :p

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    So are we going to see any snow tonight?
    someone on the east coast and SE coast will. Showers will bubble up once the easterly takes over. Temps may rise somewhat when that happens in the next few hours. Showers will not be too heavy but may be slow moving as the winds will be be no more than 5-10mph initially

i am quite proud of mine
    http://platformtworca.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/51.jpg

air conditioning and airbags

sure theyres feck all snow in clare:P.send it up here for the weekend:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I really wish the snow would disappear and the temperatures rise so the existing snow and ice would melt. It's gone beyond a joke at this stage. Country running out of salt which means the roads will be screwed. The footpaths are so slippy you can't walk on them. It's insane.

I've ordered a pair of Yaxtrax things to put onto my shoes. More than likely they won't arrive until the flipping snow is gone but I figure they will be good to have nonetheless.

Don't wear runners in this weather, they're useless. I also have Caterpillar boots and to be honest, they're not great in snow and ice. The best things I have are Dr Martens shoes. They're not perfect but they're the best things I have.

However I usually just try and walk super super slow when it's icy. I mean literally shuffling along as slowly as I can.

someone on the east coast and SE coast will. Showers will bubble up once the easterly takes over. Temps may rise somewhat when that happens in the next few hours. Showers will not be too heavy but may be slow moving as the winds will be be no more than 5-10mph initially

So my next question.. Navan, chances?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Well wind in dublin is mostly westerly. http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

In north wales it is SE to Easterly http://windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=70

Will be interesting to see which one wins out with this cloud. I guess the SE/E will take over in the next hour or so. that is when you will see your showers building up out of nowhere

Yep , the M2 buoy as of 12am was showing 70degree easterly and a tasty DP of -2

-8.5 in Newbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I really wish the snow would disappear and the temperatures rise so the existing snow and ice would melt. It's gone beyond a joke at this stage. Country running out of salt which means the roads will be screwed. The footpaths are so slippy you can't walk on them. It's insane.

I've ordered a pair of Yaxtrax things to put onto my shoes. More than likely they won't arrive until the flipping snow is gone but I figure they will be good to have nonetheless.

Don't wear runners in this weather, they're useless. I also have Caterpillar boots and to be honest, they're not great in snow and ice. The best things I have are Dr Martens shoes. They're not perfect but they're the best things I have.

However I usually just try and walk super super slow when it's icy. I mean literally shuffling along as slowly as I can.

Here here! Hope the stuff goes asap!

it's more to do with your balance on your feet whether you slip or not in my opinion. If you're agile and have good balance you won't slip as much as a *cough* not so balanced/agile individual.

Bring on the snow. Definitely in the snow camp ! I want it all !

Look after your elders in this weather guys !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I have had to do the aul John Wayne shuffle on my Tippy Toes many an occasion over the last few days

hiking boots are the way forward in my opinion.your feet stay warm and most importantly dry and theyve a decent grip.i got a cheap pair in lidl a few months back and theyve survived the swamps at electric picnic, climbing lugnaquilla in bad conditions and this weeks current freeze.best 20euro i ever spent.

• Advertisement

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    So my next question.. Navan, chances?
    Slim to nil.

For everyone else it's like closing your eyes and picking an ace out of the deck of cards. Showers will be hit and miss and mostly Dublin-Wexford. Showery activity at this stage looks like dying a death tomorrow afternoon. Just wait until Sunday. You can go slayin' in Naaaaaaaaaavan then hopefully :)

Holsten wrote: »
    Here here! Hope the stuff goes asap!

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but ........

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cold-weather-set-to-continue-into-march-441019.html

Realistically , it mite start to change Wednesday/Thursday looking at some of the model outputs and comments the lads have posted in here :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63863361&posted=1#post63863361

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Where to get proper footwear attire for this weather?? I've been wearing trainers walking to work and the shops and they are most definitely NOT the way to go! My granny would look more nimble than I do!!

Uggs......

The ones with the full sole - deadly !

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Esmeralda34

Just back from a walk with the dog! Man I love these late night winter wonderland walks!! :D. Think I went further than I should have though as my face feels frozen and my ears, well.....I could snap them off now I think! :p

-4.6c out and a dense fog out, visibility about 40-50m

How about your doggy??

In Ranelagh and our outdoor temperature monitor is reading -4.1. I think it always reads about 1.5 degrees over what the actual temperature is though as it is located just outside the living room window...

Looks glorious outside, especially down Chelmsford Road. Dreading having to be in work for 8.30 tomorrow morning though!!:(

Ah well, off to bed with me I suppose...

Slim to nil.

For everyone else it's like closing your eyes and picking an ace out of the deck of cards. Showers will be hit and miss and mostly Dublin-Wexford. Showery activity at this stage looks like dying a death tomorrow afternoon. Just wait until Sunday. You can go slayin' in Naaaaaaaaaavan then hopefully :)

Again with the Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaavan. Thanks mate. Sunday it is so. I'll stock up on supplies, hopefully I will need them.

Someone with a bit more knowledge might be able to elaborate ,

The sea temp around the M2 buoy is 4.9c, is that unusually low ? I have not seen it below 9c over the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭CityCentreMan

Evening All!
    Just arrived home from Kiely's in Mount Merrion.
    Pints were good, pretty cold & frequently served.
    One of the most beautiful nights in the last 20 or so years!
    Snow everywhere although melted on main road due to light gritting!
    Sky is clear, no wind, temperature - very very cold, roads are slippery w frost / snow.
    Local primary school closed tomorrow due to snow - 97.5% of pupils live within 1.5 mile radius but teachers still working up to the idea of a new year!
    Feels good to be alive and slightly tipsy.
    Sorry if I have intruded on a serious discussion.
    Happy New Year to all.
    Good Night!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts...

Temperature: -6.3 °C
    Dew Point: -6.6 °C

I think it's going to be colder than the -9.8 that it was early this morning.
    It's been and continues to be a very spooky night. Dead calm and absolutely silent outside. No sound of cars that you would hear normally. An eerie fog is hanging around. No sign of snow all day.

Night all. Wrap up warm.

finbar had one too many heinos with sorcha in kielys!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Trog - whats the station record? see we @ -3.2 now.. The NRA last updated the bypass @ 10.30 & was recording -4.3 then. Any idea what you were recording then? Im just up off the motorway so prob nearer to that than you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement