Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Galway has...!

Options
  • 07-01-2010 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

In response to the interesting thread "What Galway Needs"
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055714223
    I propose a thread on what Galway has that other towns/cities would like to have:

Here goes...

The Prom. It is brilliant. There is no other urban costal walk like it anywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

ErnieBert wrote: »
    The Prom. It is brilliant. There is no other urban costal walk like it anywhere.

Clontarf in Dublin??

That laidback SParch vibe with daydrinking and general chilling. Very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Galway has its Hooker beer that nobody else have. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

_ZeeK_ wrote: »
    Clontarf in Dublin??

That laidback SParch vibe with daydrinking and general chilling. Very nice.

March is waaay better than the Sparch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

_ZeeK_ wrote: »
    Clontarf in Dublin??

Get real. I lived in Dublin 3 for a few months and the Clontarf seafront doesn't add up.

Compare the views..... Galway Bay and the Burren or Dublin Bay and the Poolbeg power plant?

No contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

A great motorway out of it!!

Okay, well the Sp'arch is good I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Hippies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Knacker dwarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Get real. I lived in Dublin 3 for a few months and the Clontarf seafront doesn't add up.

Compare the views..... Galway Bay and the Burren or Dublin Bay and the Poolbeg power plant?

No contest.

Absolutely. The Prom/Galway Bay is probably my favourite thing about Galway. In a different world than Clontarf and smelly Dublin Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

The galway market..forget all the hippy dreamcatchers, clocks made from bog oak and woolly socks sh*te and think of the samosas and crepes, falafel and do-nuts...yum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 moimeme24

the gorgeous model warty nora

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

we seriously don't appreciate the prom enough. how many of us have been all "wow look at the view" while on holidays looking across some foreign bay. nothing beats the prom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Connemara
    Galway Bay in general. As previously mentioned we take the coastline for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

The galway market..forget all the hippy dreamcatchers, clocks made from bog oak and woolly socks sh*te and think of the samosas and crepes, falafel and do-nuts...yum

Must say, found the market brilliant over Christmas. The veg guys and the lads with the fish stall a treat. Worth a visit. Woolly socks merchants or those guys selling the trinkets don't do it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭JayMcD

The Corrib, both river and lakes, and all the canals and waterways, I know other places have rivers etc. but nothing compares to the corrib, esp going right through the city center as amazing rapids, with the univercity on its banks to the cathedral to the spainish arch then galway bay, and then the prom starts. I used to live in waterford and the one thing that i missed and took for granted was there was no where to go for a walk,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭fikay

evil_seed wrote: »
    we seriously don't appreciate the prom enough. how many of us have been all "wow look at the view" while on holidays looking across some foreign bay. nothing beats the prom
    It really is something special. I loved walking out from town along by the pitches just waiting to get around the corner at the causeway for that breath-taking panorama. Feckin deadly. Probably what I miss most about Galway

Also you could do worse than an afternoon wandering along the cliffs at Silver Strand.
    mikom wrote: »
    Knacker dwarf.
    I saw this hero on O' Connell St in Dublin a few months ago. He leaned into two blond girls walking in the opposite direction and roared at them. Cue much giggling, finger-pointing and pitiful piss taking. He looked crestfallen. His powers must be on the slide! Knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Not being a hippy but the Corrib rapids right through the centre of town gives energy to the city. No idle meandering for the corrib, our river ****ing roars down the town shouting "Get outta my way, comin through!" Love it.

The prom is second to none in this country. The view, the fresh atlantic air, the talent on a sunny day. Can't wait till they extend it to Silver Strand (hopefully in my lifetime)

General relaxed atmosphere about the town

Pubs down the west.

Saturday market, especially the food. I too can do without the wolly socks and mosaic mirrors.

I can't imagine any other town in ireland recieving the Volvo Ocean racers the way we did at 3 in the morning till dawn. Respect for the racers and self indulgent craic in equal measure.

If you live city centre everything is within walking distance, pubs, supermarkets, shops, cinemas etc.

The amount of quality stuff on the doorstep..... clean beachs along the coast or renting a row boat on the corrib on hot summer days, great cycle routes outside the town, connemara or the burren for a day out (it takes no time to get to either)

Plenty of shortcomings to but doesn't everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

• Galway Races
    • Arts Festival
    • Quay Street & spanish Arch in the summer with the outdoor drining
    • Endangered snails (blocking the Outerouter bypass)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The arts: live theatre with regular new shows, two (soon to be three) cinemas, several theatre companies, performance opportunities for a very wide range of people, musicians galore in all sorts of genres.

And the walkability thing that someone mentioned before.

Ballyloughan beach and Silverstrand (far better than the concreted Prom IMHO).

And only 2.5 hours on the bus to Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

JustMary wrote: »

And only 2.5 hours on the bus to Dublin!

I'd be more of the opinion that one of the greatest things about Galway is that we're 2.5 hours away from Dublin.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Charcoal Grill (after a feed of 9 pints)

Quirkey shops that are unique to Galway:

- Wooden Heart Toys
    - Herteriches Pork Butchers - excellent
    - McCambridges - unusual foods
    - Elles Cafe - cleanest coffee shop in the world
    - Griifins Bakers - yummy bread
    - Little newsagent with massive range of mags (I can't remember name)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Youse are all very hard on the woolly sock people!:P
    I'll tell you one thing, I am delighted today to have on the pair someone got me for Chrismo!:D

Agree about the arts but more for music, theatre could pick up a bit tby, some of the good companies fecked off.

Sunday walk on the prom.

Street culture and people watching outside Neachtains in the summer...sit there long enough and the entire universe will pass by at some point! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

manic drivers

Frank Fahey, he won't be appreciated till he's gone :o

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

snubbleste wrote: »

Frank Fahey, he won't be appreciated till he's gone :o

I'd certainly appreciate him being gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

The Prom/Galway Bay. The river walk all the way from waterside to Nimmos pier. The walkway half way out to Mutton Island. A trip on the Corrib Princess. The atmosphere in the evenings on the city centre streets in July/August. Buskers. Town Hall. Spanish Arch area. Quay St....and loads more.

Connemara
    Galway Bay in general. As previously mentioned we take the coastline for granted.

It's acceptable to take things for granted that can't move away(like a lady friend could :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

worst drivers in the world! manly woman! not including the one liein asleep next to me :p 1million pubs and fcuk all else :D

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭An Capall Dubh

maxxie wrote: »
    worst drivers in the world! manly woman! not including the one liein asleep next to me 1million pubs and fcuk all else

You've got a "manly woman" lying next to you?? :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

You've got a "manly woman" lying next to you?? :eek:

Thanks for reminding me horsey boy!

Ignorant brain dead stupid people

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭An Capall Dubh

Thanks for reminding me horsey boy!

Ignorant brain dead stupid people

So you do have a manly woman lying beside you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

manly woman!

Just the one so?
    I think Galway can cope tbh

By the way, is your surname Pad?

Advertisement