Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lucky escape? Gas alarm needed.

• 07-01-2010 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭

My wife commented several times this evening that she could smell gas in the kitchen, even though the hob (from Calor bottled gas) was turned off. Had a sniff around and could smell gas from one ring but when I lit a match near it there was no effect. Lit the ring in question using the built in ignition and there was a bang, coinciding with the ring being lifted out of its socket!:eek: Cylinder is disconnected now, obviously.

So, given that I would otherwise have left the kitchen and not paid any heed, I'd probably have come down in the morning, switched on the light switch and ended up at the end of the road.

What I'm looking for is a recommendation for a gas alarm that I can install in the kitchen, won't go off during ordinary use but will warn us of something like this in the future.

And a recommendation for a good gas fitter in Wexford / Waterford area.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Are ya mad checking for gas leaks by stricking a match:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Possibly! I really thought it was a smell out of the bin or something though. Learned a lesson though.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Don't know about a fitter, but you'll certainly be able to pick up a gas detector (you'll want one for methane) from a safety equipment supplier. I've seen one advertised on the web from an irish supplier for about 60 quid and a fiver for postage and packaging. Glad you're looking to get one, you must have got a good fright!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Prenderb wrote: »
    You must have got a good fright!

You're right about that - suffice to say there was a smell of something that didn't come out of a yellow cylinder outside the kitchen!

Advertisement