Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post (again) - bunch of incompetents

Options
  • 08-01-2010 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭

I am so annoyed with An Post at the moment it is unreal. I paid close to €20 yesterday to get a medium-sized parcel deliver by Express Post with Signature from Dublin to Limerick, normal post for the same parcel would have been €6.

The recipient (my 75 year old dad) told me this evening that the postman delivered his post this morning, but instead of delivering the parcel he left a "missed delivery" docket with him and told him he had to collect it in the depot in the Dock Road. :mad::mad::mad: So he had to drive down there in the bad weather to collect the package, and the best part - they didn't even make him sign for it. I checked the track & trace ID and as far as An Post are concerned, the parcel is still in the delivery depot. :confused:

So I am going to be writing a letter to An Post customer service tomorrow (for all the ****ing good it will do me, I may as well be pissing into the wind) and enquire why (a) the lazy ****ing postman is incapable of doing his job and delivering a parcel, and (b) why they didn't bother their lazy, union-protected fat holes getting a signature in the depot like they were supposed to. In future I am going to spend the extra few bob and use Fedex or DHL.

I suppose I would be wasting my time going looking for a refund, seeing as how they didn't fulfill their side of our contract, i.e. not delivering the item and not getting it signed for? I also know from past experience I have to complain to An Post first before escalating to ComReg, but are An Post exempted from the Small Claims process? Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Arciphel wrote: »
    I am so annoyed with An Post at the moment it is unreal. I paid close to €20 yesterday to get a medium-sized parcel deliver by Express Post with Signature from Dublin to Limerick, normal post for the same parcel would have been €6.

The recipient (my 75 year old dad) told me this evening that the postman delivered his post this morning, but instead of delivering the parcel he left a "missed delivery" docket with him and told him he had to collect it in the depot in the Dock Road. :mad::mad::mad: So he had to drive down there in the bad weather to collect the package, and the best part - they didn't even make him sign for it. I checked the track & trace ID and as far as An Post are concerned, the parcel is still in the delivery depot. :confused:

So I am going to be writing a letter to An Post customer service tomorrow (for all the ****ing good it will do me, I may as well be pissing into the wind) and enquire why (a) the lazy ****ing postman is incapable of doing his job and delivering a parcel, and (b) why they didn't bother their lazy, union-protected fat holes getting a signature in the depot like they were supposed to. In future I am going to spend the extra few bob and use Fedex or DHL.

I suppose I would be wasting my time going looking for a refund, seeing as how they didn't fulfill their side of our contract, i.e. not delivering the item and not getting it signed for? I also know from past experience I have to complain to An Post first before escalating to ComReg, but are An Post exempted from the Small Claims process? Cheers.

No harm in asking but chances are they won't look after you. I have the same problem with postmen (the vans nots the footmen) who just throw a slip in the door and off they go. I've seen them do it. I bet the bloody vans are empty and its all for show. If they don't have time to knock on each and every door tough luck their problem. They owe both of us a decent service but you can as you say piss into the wind on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The recipient (my 75 year old dad) told me this evening that the postman delivered his post this morning, but instead of delivering the parcel he left a "missed delivery" docket with him and told him he had to collect it in the depot in the Dock Road.

Parcels are delivered separately to regular post, so the delivery docket would not have arrived with that post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Just thinking about my post obviously not all postmen/women are like this but a portion are and it is that % my anger is directed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭JohnC.

jor el wrote: »
    Parcels are delivered separately to regular post, so the delivery docket would not have arrived with that post.

It may depend on your particular route then, as all mine gets delivered together.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I'd like to give my postperson a ThumbsUp for delivering at 7.30 am no matter what the weather is. The parcel person usually throws any parcels in next door if they are around.

Maybe the postman who delivers to the OPs father has recently transferred from GLS - a shower of incompetent, non-unionised, ignorant muppets ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Kahless wrote: »
    It may depend on your particular route then, as all mine gets delivered together.

True, but I know in Limerick city, anything up to the size of an A5 jiffy bag (or maybe a little bigger) is delivered with normal post by the cycle postman. Anything in a box gets delivered by a van.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

My postman is fantastic, out and about on his bike this morning at 8am delivering in ice, snow and sleet and whatnot. I hope a few customers offered him a few minutes to toast his hands and a cuppa.
    I've only had positive experiences with AnPost touch wood so do not agree that they are a bunch of incompetents

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

they didn't even make him sign for it. I checked the track & trace ID and as far as An Post are concerned, the parcel is still in the delivery depot. :confused:
    Was the post insured? If so, claim for it. If they say it was collected, ask for a signature. If they provide one... well it's obviously fake, and that's where the fun begins.

Local postie drops the slips in, but if I ring and ask nicely, he usually drops it around in the evening drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

jor el wrote: »
    True, but I know in Limerick city, anything up to the size of an A5 jiffy bag (or maybe a little bigger) is delivered with normal post by the cycle postman. Anything in a box gets delivered by a van.
    Same with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

Sorry to rock the boat, but I've found the An Post guys in Carlow town to be outstanding. Large packages are delivered separately, but regardless of the size or whether or not a signature is required, I've never had any problems with them.

There's bad apples in every business and company. And with a business with as many employees as An Post, you're going to get a number of dodgy employees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Sorry to rock the boat, but I've found the An Post guys in Carlow town to be outstanding. Large packages are delivered separately, but regardless of the size or whether or not a signature is required, I've never had any problems with them.

There's bad apples in every business and company. And with a business with as many employees as An Post, you're going to get a number of dodgy employees.

Let me correct that, you're going to get a disproportionately high number of dodgy employees and lower manager staff compared with equivalent private enterprises, if my experiences and other threads on Boards are anything to go by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

Let me correct that, you're going to get a disproportionately high number of dodgy employees and lower manager staff compared with equivalent private enterprises, if my experiences and other threads on Boards are anything to go by.

Equivalent private enterprises in other countries, maybe, but not in Ireland. Gross incompetence is far from limited to the public sector in this country. Most threads on this board are complaining about private companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Equivalent private enterprises in other countries, maybe, but not in Ireland. Gross incompetence is far from limited to the public sector in this country. Most threads on this board are complaining about private companies.

Ah but private companies have complaints procedures that can and do actually end with action (because the customers money talks at the end of the day). I went through a similar procedure recently with An Post, which ended when they asked was I "satisfied" with their complete lack of service or progress on the issue. Needless to say they have since stopped replying and it seems marked my complaint as resolved....if I had the option to switch all my post delivery to any other private delivery firm I would, but alas....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Iv have the same problems as the OP, the postman leaves the "attemped delivery slips" in my postbox, dosent even bother ringing the doorbell.I have to go to the sorting office at least once a week, pain in the effin hole.

Not happy with their service in my area at all, D6.

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Normal post and small packages are delivered promptly by our excellent postman in all weather, incl through the current snow drifts along our boreen.

However, larger parcels from Amazon and the like result in the "not at home" slip being left in the letterbox (even though either my wife or myself are always at home, car parked out the front, kids screaming inside etc etc to show that someone's home). Thus our parcels are kept in the local sorting office and I have to go collect them myself. To my mind, An Post have failed to keep to their obligation to deliver parcels where postage has been paid and so they should be forced to offer a refund - I know some bloody hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,583 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have had about 98% excellent service from AnPost. If the door is not latched the postie will throw the parcel in, if it is latched but there is obviously someone there they will ring and leave the parcel on the step (which is acceptable in the area where we live). Otherwise they leave a note.
    I had one (business) parcel go astray in Dublin, sent it by next-day registered all the trimmings at great expense post, and it went to the wrong place. Was retrieved and delivered eventually, but I just use normal post now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Your Da missed the post.... Just to confirm.... he was in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

stepbar wrote: »
    Your Da missed the post.... Just to confirm.... he was in the house?

Yes, he was. The postman handed him the "missed delivery" docket and told him he had to go collect the package.

I just checked An Post's track & trace on their website, and according to that the item is still in the depot as there was "no answer at address" when they tried to deliver it.

2i92mv5.jpg

By clicking on the "delivery record" box I was able to get them to e-mail me the delivery record. The hilarious part is this shows the item has been collected and that they didn't both their holes getting a signature - in other words, I paid for "signed for" delivery, and these muppets managed not only to not deliver the package, but not get a signature as well. :mad:

20t0bya.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

snubbleste wrote: »
    My postman is fantastic, out and about on his bike this morning at 8am delivering in ice, snow and sleet and whatnot. I hope a few customers offered him a few minutes to toast his hands and a cuppa.
    I've only had positive experiences with AnPost touch wood so do not agree that they are a bunch of incompetents

Just on that - my postman in Dublin is an absolute gent and I have never ever had a problem with him. One time he broke his wrist and was unable to work, we got a temporary guy for eight weeks and it was unreal the problems we had. Made us appreciate him all the more when our regular man came back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

tommy21 wrote: »
    No harm in asking but chances are they won't look after you. I have the same problem with postmen (the vans nots the footmen) who just throw a slip in the door and off they go. I've seen them do it. I bet the bloody vans are empty and its all for show. If they don't have time to knock on each and every door tough luck their problem. They owe both of us a decent service but you can as you say piss into the wind on that one.

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but this is absolutely true - I've experienced the "slip in the door" but no package thing numerous times, and I've seen it in action, they just seem to have 0 reservations about doing that.

A main reason they get away with it is that there doesn't seem to be anyone to hold them accountable. There's no one serious to complain to.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement