Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Brand/Type of Oil to put in Deep Fat Fryer?

Options
  • 08-01-2010 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,951 ✭✭✭✭

Thread title says it all really, my chips always taste crap and I know its the oil, food from it just tastes the way old grease smells, Ive changed it and scrubbed the frier spotless and everything but it still tastes bad. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭smallgarden

id go for sunflower oil,dont think brand really matters.if using frozen chips itl spoil your oil quite quickly.if using potatoes then some potatoes are better than others for chips,pinks are bad,roosters i think are good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

We use 'crisp 'n' dry' oil in ours (the 'n' isn't meant as txt=speech, it's actually the brand name of the oil).

Chips usually taste good, but as smallgarden, it really depends on the potatoes used.

Records - the best potatoes for chips (according to my mum)
    Golden Wonders / Pinks / Kerr Pinks / Roosters - are the worst potatoes to use in chips.

But, it depends on the individual and what they prefer.

Also, it depends on the way the chips are cooked, my mum and I cook them the following way, and everyone who has ever had them has said they are some of the nicest they've ever had.

1) Heat the oil/Deep fat frier up to the maximum
    2) Once the oil is heated, out the chips in (don't fill-up the basket with chips though, as they don't cook as well)
    3) When they start to change color, open the deep fat frier and lift up the chips and lift them up for a few minutes. Leave the oil to heat up again, once it is heated up, put them back in until they are cooked to your liking.
    4) A few minutes before they are fully cooked, put som kitchen paper on a plate and once the chips are cooked, hope them over the sink and shake the excess oil off them.
    5) Once the excess oil is shaken off them, put them on the kitchen paper and get another piece of kitchen paper and gently "rub" it over the chips.
    6) Serve!

I know it seems like a lot of hassle, but it really isn't (imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Consensus seem to hold that peanut oil (groundnut oil) is the best oil for chips.
    Sunflower oil isn't recommended, I think, due to it's lower smoke point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

could you try lard or animal fat

• Registered Users Posts: 17,951 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Isnt there a chance of that bursting into flames?

As for peanut oil, does that err, you know, taste like peanuts? The way truffel oil tastes like truffels?

I think Im going to go with the crisp n dry and see, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Thargor wrote: »
    As for peanut oil, does that err, you know, taste like peanuts? The way truffel oil tastes like truffels?

Nope. Truffle oil is oil that has been infused with truffles, much like chilli oil or any other flavoured oil. Peanut oil is oil that has been extracted from peanuts, like olive or rapeseed oil. It's one of the most neutral tasting oils out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,951 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Cool, will give it a try then. thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

goose fat and, duck fat has been used in the past.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I use the stuff from Lidl .. Vita d'Or Frying Oil in 2l bottles. It's apparently a mix of high-oleic sunflower oil (whatever that is), rapeseed oil and (presumably 'normal') sunflower oil. Can be heated up to 180 deg according to the label.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The advice so far is pretty bad in my opinion.
    Why goose fat and peanut oil are among the best oils for frying with. They aren't great for deep fat fryers. It sounds like a contradiction but bare with me. These oils, and most liquid fats tenf to build up on the edges, and go sticky very quick, and rancid soon after. They also make fryers a night mare to clean.

Using a solid fat. (solid at room temp) is much better in the long run, no build up, cleans easiers, and importantly the oil stays clean easier.

The options for solid fat include animal fat, or crisp n dry solid vegetable fat. I prefer crisp n dry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mellor wrote: »
    The options for solid fat include animal fat, or crisp n dry solid vegetable fat. I prefer crisp n dry
    Or coconut oil if you have the cash, it is meant to have good health properties, but costs about €6 for a litre.

I got lard a week or so ago in tesco, it had not been there for a long time, might have been in just for christmas.

Advertisement