Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why your best friend is just that... Your best friend

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

i dont have best friends, but i do have good friends are very close friends.
    I have a group of 9 good friends i hang about with back home that are brilliant :) I have my college friends and then i have my 3 very close friends. We dont hang about in the same groups (different schools and years) but wev been friends since i can remember :)
    1 even moved to Dublin 5 years ago and were still as close :D Love how i might not see her for 4/5 months at a time but its never awkward!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

I've got 2 best friends. One of them I'm repeating with so we still see each other everyday. My other best friend has gone to college so I don't see her often but talk to her on the phone at least once a week.
    The friend i'm repeating with would be my best friend 'cuz she's just...so entertaining.
    My best friend in college would probably be the closest friend I've had. We just have the same say-what-you-think attitude and the same warped sense of humour.:pac:
    Since she's left school....no one understands my sense of humour!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Actually, tbh, i'll probably sound kinda sad saying this but I'm preety much best friends with my sister too.
    We both love going to hurling and football matches together, we tell each other everything, go to see sad movies in the cinema together (:P), go to town sometimes, we even write to each other on bebo for the craic (lol!) etc.

Ok, we Wouldnt hang out with each other during lunch in school or anything but we'd say the usual ''hey b*tch!" (it's our thing? :confused:) when we pass each other so she'd definetly be one of my best friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

We have the same retarded, 6 year old sense of humour no one else gets........that forms the basis of our friendship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

I'm sick of the idea that the friends you have now won't mean that much to you in later life, and you don't really have a circle of people you know you can really trust until your thirties.

A lot of people still seem to hold this view but I think our generation in general has waaaaaay closer friendships, and places more value on them. I think a lot of that is to do with just having phones being able to talk whenever.

But going back on topic - just being able to get me. Pretty simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

I'm sick of the idea that the friends you have now won't mean that much to you in later life.
    I think our generation in general has waaaaaay closer friendships, and places more value on them. I think a lot of that is to do with just having phones being able to talk whenever.

I can understand where you are coming from but have to say I disagree with ya there luv!

We all had phones when I was 14(Nokia 3210 FTW!), still had plenty contact on landlines/house phones as well.
    The friends you have in National school, you will always talk to and I have no problem meeting up with few of them once a year or two years or whenever. We will talk and gossip and it's all good and nice but then we won't see each other for another year!

Same with secondary school mates. I was best buddies with few ones in my class and as soon as they did transition year and I went on....we just grew apart.
    So many ones change through secondary school and after it.

Alot of the people you are close to will drift in and out of your lives or else out of it completely.

The main thing is...the real good ones always stay in your life.:D

With my various groups of mates, it doesn't matter if I don't see them for weeks, months or even years. When we meet up it's like we have never been away. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I can't say I have a best friend :(
    Wish I did there was a girl who I used to tell was my bestest friend and I really enjoyed being round but of course showed her true colours and completly changed as a person. I have other people who I could find no fault in but if I said they were my best friend they could easily find a few people they like better than me, having said that I have a lot of small groups of friends so theres always different people to talk to about my different interests

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

My best friend is literally always willing to drop whatever he's doing to hang out with me. He's always genuinely happy to see me, and he forgives me in a heartbeat whenever I let him down. His loyalty puts me to shame. He's playful and fun, but not afraid to get intimate. We had a cuddle/nap together on the couch earlier. It was awesome.

...He also looks DAMN good in a top hat:

312387014a8117057213l.jpg

*disclaimer - my dog isn't actually my best friend; that would be sad

That thanks is for the picture!!
    Excellent photo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

At the moment, I have 3 very close/best friends(all guys). We all hang out together and are all best friends to each other. I have only met them in 1st year.

Before that I had other best friends, one who I was friends with since senior infants and one I was friends with since 2nd class but in 2nd year they changed. They started hanging around with people I didn't like and started smoking and just weren't the same. Didn't have the same interests anymore and I felt uncomfortable around them. Hardly know them now.

Another friend lived near me for years. Was absolute best friend with him but he moved and don't see him much anymore, Still awesome when I do though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    I can understand where you are coming from but have to say I disagree with ya there luv!

We all had phones when I was 14(Nokia 3210 FTW!), still had plenty contact on landlines/house phones as well.
    The friends you have in National school, you will always talk to and I have no problem meeting up with few of them once a year or two years or whenever. We will talk and gossip and it's all good and nice but then we won't see each other for another year!

Same with secondary school mates. I was best buddies with few ones in my class and as soon as they did transition year and I went on....we just grew apart.
    So many ones change through secondary school and after it.

Alot of the people you are close to will drift in and out of your lives or else out of it completely.

The main thing is...the real good ones always stay in your life.:D

With my various groups of mates, it doesn't matter if I don't see them for weeks, months or even years. When we meet up it's like we have never been away. :D:D

I was thinking about this just a while ago actually, how there's some friendships you can just slip back into and in others things just feel weird if you haven't talked in a while.
    I thought the ones where everything always feels the same are the strongest ones, but I'm not so sure anymore. If you have a friend that you can go a year without seeing and everything is the same, does that not mean the relationship is more superficial (for want of a better word) and just based on common interests? Whereas with the friendships you have to work on regularly you're constantly in contact with the person (texting/phoning isn't really the same as seeing) and you always know whats going on in their life, good or bad. That seems be a requirement for a "best" friendship, so to speak.

*shrugs*
    Overanalyzing as usual!

I was thinking about this just a while ago actually, how there's some friendships you can just slip back into and in others things just feel weird if you haven't talked in a while.
    I thought the ones where everything always feels the same are the strongest ones, but I'm not so sure anymore. If you have a friend that you can go a year without seeing and everything is the same, does that not mean the relationship is more superficial (for want of a better word) and just based on common interests? Whereas with the friendships you have to work on regularly you're constantly in contact with the person (texting/phoning isn't really the same as seeing) and you always know whats going on in their life, good or bad. That seems be a requirement for a "best" friendship, so to speak.

*shrugs*
    Overanalyzing as usual!

Analyzing all the way!:D

I had a whole big long thing written out but....friendships (like the one you explained) are soo complicated at times, that what I had written wasn't coming across well!

I see what you are saying but there are always exceptions to that scenario of a best mate as I've discovered.

There are mates I would tell some personal stuff too and yet wouldn't tell other ones.
    You kind of weigh people up and you know which ones will be able to handle it(and keep it private) and which ones won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

My best friend is practically my non-identical twin brother. We don't even have similar interests but you can let that be a testament to my laziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I have two best friends.
    From secondary school, 1 I see a lot in college, I'd be closer with her, we both have such a laugh all the time just being silly and childish, but if needs be, we can be serious and will be there for each other at the drop of a hat.

My other best friend I've known since I was about 3, we don't see each other as much any more, but I know if I ever need anything, she'll be there for me. She lives around the corner from me and we practically lived in each others pockets when we were younger, as we got older we became friends with different people in school, but still have stayed pretty close.

Other than that I have 4 or 5 other really close friends who I can depend on, but the two above I'd go to first. I've had a fair few best friends over the years, but as we grew up and changed, so did the friendships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

I have two best friends.. cant see it ever being any different! we do everything together, get along preeety well, have the oddest sense of humour and mutual hatred for the same things. tis great :)

have loads of good friends but there not the same as best friends.. they dont get our humour either..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Dont really have a best friend.

Have a couple of very good friends, but we've all sorta drifted since college started.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

<snip>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

Fad wrote: »

Have a couple of very good friends, but we've all sorta drifted since college started.

I blame you Fad! you never txt bk or anything :(

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FredBaby!

Actually, tbh, i'll probably sound kinda sad saying this but I'm preety much best friends with my sister too.

Same here. We've shared a room since she was born and theres only four years between us. We're not the Brady Bunch by any means-we have awful fights but we can always forgive eachother.
    My other best friend and i have been friends since we were five and we're still BFF's even though I moved to the other side of the country when i was seven. Apart from those two i don't really have anyother friends...just people i hang around with...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Fad wrote: »

This sums it pretty much up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

My friends stick by me no matter what, we are strong together we take no **** from scum together we fight together, and we drink together we are one together we are friends forever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I have a lot of very close friends that I love to bits :) I like it because I have something different in common with all of them, like one of them has the exact same weird sense of humour I have.

I think I have 2 proper "best" friends though. One of them is the person I'm closest with at college. I met her on my first day there, and we just clicked :) We have a lot in common (too much sometimes lol!) The other is a girl I've known since I was 8. We have the best craic ever, and I know I could tell her absolutely anything.

Advertisement